rearlights

Post in this forum for topics relating to the exterior. This includes body, windows, and accessories

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

BIMMER

rearlights

Post by BIMMER »

I have a question about the rearlights of my BMW 635csi 1980 (european version). The previous owner painted them in black :?

Is there a difference in rearlights for sharks before and after the facelift? And is there in difference in shadowline rearlights??

My car is a pre facelift but I want to keep the shadowline which is on the car right now (normally not available on a 1980 version).

horsetan

Post by horsetan »

No difference whatsoever
UKDaveJ

Can I hear 'KITT's voice emanating from the dashboard?

Post by UKDaveJ »

With your blacked out rear lights, your car reminds me of that belonging to Knight Rider, as played by David Hasslehof........ :D :wink:

Only joking! :D
BIMMER

Post by BIMMER »

@ UKDaveJ : yeah :lol: ! But I like the original more than the knightrider lights :oops:

Do you maybe know where I can find rearlights? I cannot find them on ebay :? . Are they expensive when you order them from a BMW dealer??
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

-expensive from BMW?....

-thats the funniest thing I've heard in ages.....

-still, at least you can buy parts for a 30-year old car without too much trouble, mustn't grumble too much then....
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
BIMMER

Post by BIMMER »

Brucey wrote:-expensive from BMW?....

-still, at least you can buy parts for a 30-year old car without too much trouble, mustn't grumble too much then....
what a usefull reply :roll:
horsetan

Post by horsetan »

BIMMER wrote:
Brucey wrote:-expensive from BMW?....

what a usefull reply :roll:
Now, now, girls! Put those handbags away :!: :lol:
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

-actually I'm always just surprised at the price of spare parts, especially for our cars. Sometmes they seem very expensive, other times quite cheap, for no good reason.

Chrome bumper trims are very expensive for what they are, and oh, I can't think of any cheap ones right now... Ah, rear strut brace, 65GBP with club discount?

Actually depending on the paint used, you may be able to return your 'knight riders' to standard trim. It depends if the solvent in the paint has attacked the plastic or not. IIRC, one of the red areas has no bulb behind it. This would be the place to experiment with some cleaning.

Hope you get it sorted out OK

cheers
BIMMER

Post by BIMMER »

Brucey wrote:-actually I'm always just surprised at the price of spare parts, especially for our cars. Sometmes they seem very expensive, other times quite cheap, for no good reason.
True! I don't understand it either. Because I couldn't find them on ebay I thought it would be rather expensive. But I had no idea of a price. I also have 2 donorcars but the rearlights are a litte bit broken and they have aloy instead of black finishing.

I also have a E21 320 1977 and all spare parts are cheap, very cheap. But that's the difference between a small popular car and a big expensive exclusive car...

I will try to get the paint off. Which product should I use to remove the paint without damaging the plastic?
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

most paints that you can buy over the counter will dissolve (eventually) in cellulose paint thinners. Trouble is, so will many plastics. I think you would be best to try a little thinners on a hidden area first, and be very careful indeed. If bare plastic starts to go sticky, stop immediately....

Most paint strippers are bad for most plastics, too.

You could maybe enquire at a paint shop; they might know.

good luck with it....
UKDaveJ

Sell yours on ebay if you can't clean them up!

Post by UKDaveJ »

There's no accounting for taste, someone will buy them - probably for quite a bit of money!!

Have you got a price for new yet - just in case?
Mountain Shark

Post by Mountain Shark »

be patient. They come up on e-bay quite regularly. Still expensive, though. $150-$200. But for a pair not bad. BavAuto has them for $115 each side.http://www.bavauto.com/shop.asp
dragonsurfa

Post by dragonsurfa »

G'day fellas'
Seems strange to me that parts are hard to find for you Euro based 6'er owners.I just thought being close to ze fazzerland (Germany) as well as the greater numbers of BMW's there that it would be easier. I have often seen good parts available from Euro sellers on Ebay.We have a great Euro new & used parts dealer here in Sydney.Can always get parts at a great rate.Wouldn't like to be chasing body panels though.
Best wishes to all,
Ray
northern_paul

Post by northern_paul »

I've seen them quite often on our e-bay (UK), I had a broken near side one and I managed to pick one up for less than ?20.00 - very lucky indeed.

I agree with above that I wouldn't touch them and seek replacements, as I think you should be able to sell them for more than normal price as they are different.
BIMMER

Post by BIMMER »

Thanks a lot for all replys! Especially the link of the website! Do you know some more sites? For new and also used parts?

The paint is on the rearlights for at least 12 years!! I fear I cannot get the original color back of the lights. Maybe someone is interested in black lights?!?

In Germany there are idd quite a lot 6 series for sale. But I don't the right people/sites... to buy parts from.
sohlman

Post by sohlman »

I quite like the smoked lights look and think it would suit my car. However yours look like they have just been painted black and i would have concerns to people being able to see the lights. I have been exsperimenting with some broken lights i have to see what effects i can get away with.

Kind Regards

James
hammer797

Minimun wage

Post by hammer797 »

I would definatly not pay more than minimum wage for advice like that.
BIMMER

Re: Minimun wage

Post by BIMMER »

hammer797 wrote:I would definatly not pay more than minimum wage for advice like that.
:?: euh :?:
horsetan

Re: Minimun wage

Post by horsetan »

BIMMER wrote:
hammer797 wrote:I would definatly not pay more than minimum wage for advice like that.
:?: euh :?:
That poster was posting spam. 's alright, he's been banned now.