Front Air dam

Post in this forum for topics relating to the exterior. This includes body, windows, and accessories

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

obone

Front Air dam

Post by obone »

Hello,

I am new to the forum. I currently have an 84 633csi and would like to install a front air dam. Does anyone know the best place to find one? (new or used) I am located in N. Calif.

TIA
Rich

Post by Rich »

They're hard to come by anymore.

Welcome, by the way. :D

If you want want that's brand-new, I believe you have to special order them from the dealer or a supplier such as Maximillian, who in turn will get them from Germany. They may be no-longer-available -- I haven't checked.

Trying stalking eBay/these boards and/or post a "WTB (wanted to buy)"...and reply quickly to a classified posting for a used one you can sand/repaint.

Regards...
Rich
1980 635CSi
obone

Post by obone »

Hey Rich,

Thanks for the welcome. You are right they are hard to find. I have done a lot of searching and have located a manufacturer in Va. Racing Dynamics Inc. that still makes and stocks them. For anyone else who may be looking for one their URL is www.racdyn-usa.com. They cost about $535 plus tax and shipping and handling. That price includes the fog lamps so it doesn't seem to bad.
Rich

Post by Rich »

Good to know. Price is good. However...

I've heard that Racing Dynamics spoilers/skirts are cheap in quality, i.e., made of really flimsy plastic that cracks easily.

I've never seen one in person. And that said, I actually do like the look of 'em. But many of the E28 guys (82-88 5-series) have stated the RD spoilers for the E28 are poor quality and don't hold up well.

I'm simply assuming the same with the RD E24 spoilers.

For example, about six weeks ago I hit a piece of torn truck tire on the highway @ 65 MPH -- couldn't avoid it due to traffic -- and my OEM spoiler surprised me. I thought the tire had surely busted my spoiler; I cursed and cursed before pulling over to get a look...but the spoiler held firm/didn't reflect any damage. All I had to do was rub off some black rubber marks. Whew.

I'm not so sure a cheaper spoiler could've taken such an impact.

Ask about all the mounting hardware for the fog lights -- if it's included, etc. I heard that stuff's hard to find, too, and isn't often included in the package.

Regards...
Rich
1980 635CSi
dblrifle

Post by dblrifle »

Had a van in next lane blow tire and while I'm trying to dodge him (thank goodness for the 6 being so nimble) I hit a part of the blown tread. Broke one high beam and cracked the spoiler above the temp sensor for about 6". How do you repair the spoilers. This is an 85 635. Can the crack be glassed or is there somekind of material that can be put into the crack to fill and reinforce it. Any help would be appreciated.
87635CSi

Post by 87635CSi »

dblrifle wrote:Had a van in next lane blow tire and while I'm trying to dodge him (thank goodness for the 6 being so nimble) I hit a part of the blown tread. Broke one high beam and cracked the spoiler above the temp sensor for about 6". How do you repair the spoilers. This is an 85 635. Can the crack be glassed or is there somekind of material that can be put into the crack to fill and reinforce it. Any help would be appreciated.
What material is it made from Rubber or fiberglass?
dblrifle

Post by dblrifle »

Feels flexible so assume it's some type of rubber product. I assume it's the BMW original dam. Has foglights and temp sensor. Nothing else particularly distinctive about it. To tell the truth I don't really like them that much. Really preferred my 633. They are exactly the right height to hit parking markers.