kidneys?!

Post in this forum for topics relating to the exterior. This includes body, windows, and accessories

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

BIMMER

kidneys?!

Post by BIMMER »

Hi,

I have got another question about the kidneys of the car. I hope you understand what I say, I translated the word quite litterally from Dutch :oops: . I mean the aloy things between the headlights...

Is there a difference in kidneys for a car before and after the facelift? I have found a pair of new kidneys for a BMW 6 series from 1985 but mine is from 1980. Is this a problem?
horsetan

Re: kidneys?!

Post by horsetan »

BIMMER wrote:Hi,

I have got another question about the kidneys of the car. I hope you understand what I say, I translated the word quite litterally from Dutch :oops: . I mean the aloy things between the headlights...

Is there a difference in kidneys for a car before and after the facelift? I have found a pair of new kidneys for a BMW 6 series from 1985 but mine is from 1980. Is this a problem?
Kidney grilles were the same throughout production - 1976 right through to 1989
Last edited by horsetan on Sun Nov 13, 2005 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mountain Shark

Post by Mountain Shark »

And kindney is in fact correct!
BIMMER

Post by BIMMER »

Thanks horsetan and Mountain Shark! I have bought a new pair of them in the Netherlands yesterday. I paid 45 euros.

six

45 Euros Is A Good Deal

Post by six »

Thats a good deal Bimmer. After a quick search here in the US finding them for no less than 45 dollars each I settled on a used pair from Ebay for much less.

Good luck

-IC

:)
BIMMER

Re: 45 Euros Is A Good Deal

Post by BIMMER »

six wrote:Thats a good deal Bimmer. After a quick search here in the US finding them for no less than 45 dollars each I settled on a used pair from Ebay for much less.

Good luck

-IC

:)
Thanks!!

I hope my car will be ready after this winter. I really look forward to drive it for the first time :D . Which one do you have?
six

Winters

Post by six »

Bimmer,

Yes, winter is the time to do it. Will your's be a big restoration?

I also plan to improve my six, an '87 635csi (US version). It won't be a huge project - I hope - though the list of improvements & repairs is growing. The previous owner had clearly hit something that dented both front grills so I will be happy to get them replaced.

This photo shows the damage well.

-IC
Attachments
P1010520.jpg
P1010520.jpg (229.86 KiB) Viewed 4177 times
BIMMER

Post by BIMMER »

Yes I can see the damage. I hope you find a new one soon. Is it your daily car?

Mine car will be restored completly! I have a got a 635csi from 1980 in shadowline look. Everything will be renewed.

- I will put a new paint on the car -> diamond black
- I have got a damaged sport interior, but will replace it with a normal leather interior which looks like new
- new steeringwheel, gearchanger, new spoilers, logo's, toolkit
- I will put a manual airco init
- other aloys -> Alpina's which will be "redone" with new tyres
- new clutch
- the engine will be revised
- maybe a VERY slightly lowered suspension???
- new front spoiler with integrated foglights
six

New Grills

Post by six »

Thanks Bimmer - as I said, I have found some used kidney grills that are in great shape from Ebay so no problem there.

Being that I live in the city my daily driver is a 150cc scooter, which frees up the six for a short list of other more anticipated occassions. That said it will soon go under-cover for most of the winter - hopefully emerging next spring in better shape, with a few mods done.

Your list is a formidable one and when you accomplish such a restoration you will be beeming, Bimmer. :lol:

As for the front spoiler you found I am sure that other members here would be curious to know more details.

-IC
BIMMER

Post by BIMMER »

I have just bought a second donorcar :D . A blue 635csi. Maybe I can better start a new topic about that car?