Help Support Bigcoupe.com

those pesky headlight wash/wipe bits....

Post in this forum for topics relating to the exterior. This includes body, windows, and accessories

Moderators: ron, bfons, GRNSHRK

monoi
Bigcoupe supporter

Post by monoi » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:04 pm

I had seen the tip about the bracket, so that came off.

I also tried to remove the wiper linkage, but it was "stuck" in place. It will be easier putting it back, as I'll put those in last.

monoi
Bigcoupe supporter

Post by monoi » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:02 am

Broken another last night, although it broke a bit further down the shaft so it will be easier to weld something on....

How do you remove this long "nut", which is not a nut but a sleeve, if I read the ETK correctly? So its not screwed on? I have used heat, WD40...

That said, I do not even know whether the motors work anyway.

ron

Post by ron » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:17 am

monoi wrote: How do you remove this long "nut", which is not a nut but a sleeve, if I read the ETK correctly? So its not screwed on? I have used heat, WD40...
It's threaded about 1/2" down from the top (the splined end).

They are ALWAYS rustier than you thought!!!!!!
'88 High line.
'85 M #228
'85 M #207
'80 735i

monoi
Bigcoupe supporter

Post by monoi » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:46 pm

Thank you, I was going the wrong way last night then. Hopefully, 3rd time lucky...

monoi
Bigcoupe supporter

Post by monoi » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:39 am

Managed to drill through the shaft, but then I broke the tap trying to remove the remnants and that is not coming out. So I will need to find someone handy with a welder to try and get the bit of shaft removed from the other sleeve, and then repair the shaft. As luck would have it, the wiper motor runs perfectly so crossing fingers.

monoi
Bigcoupe supporter

Post by monoi » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:47 pm

My mechanic did manage to remove the bit of shaft from the nut, and weld that back on so I was able to rebuild the whole system. Needless to say, copper grease was used deliberately!

Now, could someone explain how to test the relay?
635 Csi highline 3/89

ron

Post by ron » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:38 pm

You do know that the system will only operate with the lights on and the windscreen wipers actuated. It will run twice and then stop for a few seconds and then run again if the windscreen wipers are operated again.
The pump for the washers is activated by the R/H motor coming off the "park" position. You will have noticed that the R/H motor has 4 wires against the L/H motor's 3. The extra wire is to power the washer pump.

Sorry don't know how to test the relay.
'88 High line.
'85 M #228
'85 M #207
'80 735i

Brucey
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:34 pm

test the parts separately, then test for the trigger signal from the main wipers and ppower via the lighting circuit; if all OK and the system doesn't work, try a substitute relay.

hth

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

monoi
Bigcoupe supporter

Post by monoi » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:45 pm

Thank you for the info, I didn't know about the headlights on...you just saved me a lot of potential head scratching.

So I turn the lights on, and work the windscreen washer? Does it matter if I push or pull the stalk?
635 Csi highline 3/89

Brucey
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:59 am

IIRC it should work with the intensiv function. It explains how in the owners manual, and there is more detail in my write-up.

cheers

monoi
Bigcoupe supporter

Post by monoi » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:05 am

Of course, I did forget about the headlights having to be on...once I realised that (re-reading your write up), it all works swimmingly!

The only weird thing is that the motor with 4 connections only does 1 wipe, when the other makes 2. Both take the same time too. Is that normal?
635 Csi highline 3/89

tobes

Post by tobes » Sun May 31, 2015 8:36 pm

OK, to once again dig up an old thread, please can I tap the brains of those who have done this before?

After considerable cleaning, easing, applying various penetrating lubes and generally coaxing these units back into life, I have two very-nearly-working wipers. But...

My RHS motor runs continuously when given power on the Purple / Black wire (i.e. does not stop in the park position).

My LHS motor runs fine for most of the cycle, however around 80% of the time will jam before returning quite to the park position. It can be run back and forth quite reliably but seems to jam in the same position.

So it looks like I need to open up both motors.

Is the "way in" to chip at the epoxy potting? then undo the screws underneath? Does that also release the black covers from the motor bodies, or do I need to cut them open in any case? Any recommendation as to the best tool(s) to chip at this with?

Is there anything else I can try before I attack them?

Thanks in advance.
1984 635csi
1974 MG Midget
1955 Land Rover
Sometimes some of them run!

Brucey
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey » Sun May 31, 2015 9:00 pm

your units sound like they are working normally.

The RH unit should run continuously when it sees power. The control relay sends the park signal.

I suspect that you just have the wipers set on the wrong spline on the LH unit, and they perhaps just seem to parking at the wrong spot because of this.

As described in the write-up, you should cycle the system from the control relay to ensure that the spindles are parked correctly. Then and only then should you reattach the wiper arms.

I would not open up these units unless it is absolutely certain that it is necessary.

It may help to look here too;

viewtopic.php?t=2247&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

cheers

tobes

Post by tobes » Sun May 31, 2015 9:12 pm

It would be good if they were working and didn't need taking apart! I understood that the wiper would stop at the park position unless there was power on the Black / Yellow wire (i.e. there was a changeover switch so that at park, the motor was only powered from the B/Y wire, elsewhere it's powered only from the Black / Purple wire). So that Black / Yellow was energised for however long wiping was desired, then it was de-energised, but power remained on the purple / black wire to power the wiper until it reached park? I'm confused as to how the wipers can be expected to remain in sync otherwise, as they are bound to run at slightly different speeds, and they appear to be wired in parallel?

I've not disturbed the position of the blades on the Left Hand unit (not that that's proof that they're in the right position), however if it runs past it's "jam point" it will park at the correct position. Also when it jams, it's still drawing current.
1984 635csi
1974 MG Midget
1955 Land Rover
Sometimes some of them run!

Brucey
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey » Sun May 31, 2015 9:46 pm

OK the jamming does sound a bit more like a real problem inside the unit, but do be sure of this before digging in. If you have not done so yet, disconnect the linkage from the motor unit and see if it still jams or not.

IIRC both units will run without stopping if they see power on the right connections, but it has been a while since I looked at it. There is more detail in some versions of the ETM; I'll be honest and say that I am a bit fuzzy on the start/park protocol after this long!

cheers

ron

Post by ron » Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:16 am

The motor should run constantly with the Blue/Black and the Yellow/Black wires connected together. Then with just the Bl/Blk it will park. Touching just the Y/Bl wire will move it fractionally more.

I would advise against trying to get into the motor by digging out the potting compound as the wires are deeply embedded in said compound (and it is like concrete).

Message me for any more info.
'88 High line.
'85 M #228
'85 M #207
'80 735i

humble.bees

Re: those pesky headlight wash/wipe bits....

Post by humble.bees » Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:29 am

Huge thanks to Brucey and Martyn for their superbly detailed descriptions and to Ron for his info. Having finally managed to get the whole thing apart and operating at the extremes of my ability I've found that the motor works and cycles correctly when powered directly. The brown wire is continuous to the black component in the picture from the socket and the Yellow/Black is continuous too from socket to black component.
Is this component the otter switch? There is no continuity through it and the motor doesn't work via the socket wires. No readings at all.
Thanks for your help.

David
IMAG0197.jpg
IMAG0197.jpg (474.42 KiB) Viewed 2527 times