What's in your toolkit??

Post in this forum for topics relating to the exterior. This includes body, windows, and accessories

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Horsetan

Post by Horsetan »

I've tried several different switches, all of which work - they work on the other windows. There is no life in the driver's window at all, so I'm certain the switch is not at fault.

There is no adaptor in the winding stub, either.
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

oh yeah, Ivan, I saw your pic in the other thread after I posted above. Bummer.

thing is, that looks like it should have the adaptor captive in the door. I wonder if someone has had the motor out of the door and the hex has dropped off?

If so, maybe it is rattling around in the bottom of the door, eh?

Maybe you can 'borrow' one from the other side or one of the rear motors maybe?

-just a thought....

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Horsetan

Post by Horsetan »

The passenger door. Why didn't I think of that when I was getting rained on? #-o
bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bpoliakoff »

ron wrote:Another open-ended spanner(wrench)?
Yes, as Brucey said, a 10/11 open end or spanner as you fellows call it. However, the difference is that unlike the other wrenches, it does not have BMW forged into the shank.

I do have one(10/11) as well as NOS window emergency opener adaptors. I have at least 6 of them
81 Euro 635 M90 with motronic. Currently under a complete nut and bolt restoration. Pictures at
flickr.com/photos/bertsphotos.
mojocoggo

Post by mojocoggo »

Mine is just full of OCD triggers.

And a dirty shot of the ol' triangle.

Last edited by mojocoggo on Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ron
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by ron »

mojocoggo wrote: ....And the coveted retractable plug wrench.

[/img]
This is the correct size retractable plug wrench (11" extended, 6.8" retracted).

I think yours came from an 8 series and is the wrong size hex and not long enough to fit an "M" engine. As you can see from below the plugs are an awful long way down in the head. The wrench protrudes about 3.5".

They are ALWAYS rustier than you thought!!!!!!
'85 M #228
'87 M #367
'88 High line.
'10 X5
‘84 Alfasud 1.5 ti
mojocoggo

Post by mojocoggo »

Ah I see. I was wondering where it came from as I've never had anything with an S38, but I did have a 91 850i 6-speed some years back. I just found that tool in my garage and was pretty excited about it.
sharkfan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: What's in your toolkit??

Post by sharkfan »

Brucey wrote:-below is a picture of mine. Its pretty much as it was when I bought my car ( built march '87), apart from a couple of wrenches that were missing; lucky really as a lot 6ers 'lose' their toolkits early on.

BMW OE toolkits for 6ers are mostly very high quality 'Heyco' tools. Even bought new from BMW the individual tools are worth the money in my view; two beautifully finished Cr-V Heyco wrenches cost just ten quid (~17bucks). E30 owners got short-changed here; they got just a few tools of obviously lower quality, as did (I think) E34 owners. E28's also came with a reduced spec IIRC.

The instructions for the use of E24 tools are a bit scanty in many versions of the owner's manual. Many owners don't know what is meant to be in there, or how to use them. I'm not sure that my kit is complete even; also, there have been a few variations between model years.

Early versions of the plug spanner (item #14) have a metal clip inside to retain the plug; this leaves enough space to stow a special 'centering pin' inside the spanner inside the toolkit. This is a metal rod with a tapered rubber sleeve. Its function is to allow the wheel to be guided onto the wheel spigot so as to align the holes in the wheel with the holes in the hub.

My '87 kit has a different plug spanner with a plastic plug retainer. With this plug spanner you can't fit the plugs if they still have their SAE ferrules fitted; (having done this once, and only once, with another spanner I can confirm it is a very boring thing indeed to remove each plug and refit it just because you forgot to remove the offending items the first time....). However this leaves no space in the toolkit for the 'centering pin' as it won't fit inside item #14 if it has the plastic plug retainer. In these kits I think you are meant to use the tommy bar (item #11) in place of the centering pin.

I usually don't bother with a centering pin at all, but I might if I were changing a wheel in the dark.

Now items #9,14 are for the sunroof in the event that the motor fails (but I've never used them in anger). In this case the big nut is a locknut, and the allen key moves the glass. Sadly the aperture in the trim doesn't always line up with the big nut, and if you had to move the glass manually you would probably damage the trim a little.

Likewise items #20, 14, 18 are meant for the electric windows if they should fail. Now the centre screw (long allen key) should be tightened, then the glass can be moved by turning the hexagon. Finally the screw is backed off two turns and now the glass will stay put. Now a quick look behind the blanking plugs will tell you if you actually need item #20 or not. Many 6ers already have suitable hexagons fitted to all the window mechanisms, and item #20 is entirely superfluous. However, you might (as on my '85 project car) need it for the rears but not the fronts. Given that item #20 is a loose fit in wrench #14, and the whole thing has to be poked into the rear side trim about five inches, I reckon your chances of successfully deploying item #20 without it falling inside the rear trim panel is about nil, unless it is secured with a little blu-tac or something.

The rest of the tool kit is fairly self-explanatory and useful (although I have yet to find an 11mm hexagon anywhere on the car). The OE jack, wheelbrace and chock are fine if your jacking points are in good condition. Needless to say a spare wheel and a locking wheelnut key are also essential items. If you have very wide rear wheels the OE wheelbrace may not work so well- best to check this.

Other items that are worth carrying (depending on terrain and inclination) include;

-a list of fuse numbers (the owner's manual may get wet in the glove box, so is best left at home).
-a tyre pressure gauge
- a few zip ties (these are also useful for poking into blocked drain holes)
-some insulating tape
-a cheap multimeter
-a short length of electrical wire
-a can of tyre sealant
- a tube of 'bar's leaks' in dry form.
-at least 2 litres of water
- a strap good enough to tow with
- 10mm shackles for above
- a small folding shovel
- a folding warning triangle
- a small socket set
-BMW first aid kit
-a spare set of 'v' belts (change yours for new, and keep the old ones as spares)
- a pin (for clearing blocked washer jets)

I routinely carry almost all the above, and with the exception of the shovel it all stows in the side panels at the back/inside the spare wheel (which can be inverted in the well to make extra space).

Anyone else got any top toolkit tips? Is my OE kit missing anything?

cheers

Far be it from me to contradict Brucey's seminal toolkit diagram but having just interogated my two E24's after a couple of years I have slightly different spanner-idge; but not by much.

Fitting perfectly in mine I have, from left;

3. 8/10mm ring
4. 12/13mm ring
5. 10/11mm open
6. 12/13mm open
7. 17/19mm ring
8. 17/19mm open

All these spanners are 'BMW' and 'HEYCO' marked and all sit absolutely perfectly length and width wise in the slots.

This is a slight change from Brucey's original diagram in that there is no 8/10mm open spanner in number '4'. Both my 1985 M635CSi and my 1982 635CSi are like this and as I said, all the tools fit perfectly. I have accumulated two 'BMW'/'HEYCO' marked open ended 8/10mm spanners of the correct smooth and polished type (not ridged like the E34 generation) but they are different lengths (one short like the standard 8/10mm ring, the other long like the 12/13mm ring), and both also very slim so as not to correctly 'clip' into the number '4.' position that Brucey has marked for them.

I'm not wanting a toolkit bun-fight but do others have the Brucey set-up or my set-up? I can't think I'd want to change any tools especially as mine all seem to fit absolutely perfectly but just wondered once again whether the BMW part man was just a bit random on some days of his long working career.
2001 Alpina B10 V8 Touring (1 of 12 rhd)
1997 Alpina B12 5.7 L (1 of 2 rhd)
1995 Alpina B10 4.6 Touring (1 of 1 rhd)
1985 BMW M635CSi (1 of 524 rhd)
1982 BMW 635CSiA (1 of 100's left from the 1000's made and still valiantly fighting against a rusty grave)
bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Very useful info there mate!

Post by bpoliakoff »

UKDaveJ wrote:My Highline toolkit is very nearly complete, just one spanner & a screw-driver missing t'would appear!
You are missing 2 correct screwdrivers. The small one in your tool kit is not for any E24 but rather a $6 replacement that BMW used to sell or one used in a tool kit for a different model car. You should have 2 green handled screwdrivers, 1 large and one reversible.
81 Euro 635 M90 with motronic. Currently under a complete nut and bolt restoration. Pictures at
flickr.com/photos/bertsphotos.
sharkfan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sharkfan »

Does anyone else have the BMW Heyco 17mm folding wheel wrench like this (library pic)....

1982 BMW 635CSiA (1 of 100's left from the 1000's made and still valiantly fighting against a rusty grave)
sharkfan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sharkfan »

Not a standard BMW fitment but I just bought this Heyco Expert Toolkit; it was almost complete, just missing an adjustable spanner but I found one that fits while I search for the correct Heyco example. It is all metric with a half inch drive rachet and socket set, and dated 1981 so just one year before the date of my 635CSi and the very highest quality tools.
Heyco expert.jpg
Heyco expert.jpg (1.38 MiB) Viewed 5621 times