What's in your toolkit??

Post in this forum for topics relating to the exterior. This includes body, windows, and accessories

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Chris Wright

Post by Chris Wright »

mousemaster wrote:I was reviewing this post to complete my tool box. What is item 20 in the photo? What is it used for? What is the part number under realoem.com???
Thanks,
Mousemaster
There is nothing marked "item 20" in the photo you posted, so what photo are you referring to?
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

item 20 in the photo I posted a while back (on the previous page of this thread) is an adaptor that is required to manually wind the electric windows in case of electric mechanism failure or flat battery. Its use is explained in the accompanying text to the photo, as well as in the owner's manual.

However I would reiterate that you may not need it as some cars were shipped with the adapter piece already fitted to each window motor- just pop off the blanking plugs in the door trim and the rear side panels; if you see a large plastic hexagon every time then you don't need the adapter piece.

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
cgswift

Post by cgswift »

My 1983 has the plastic window adapter installed on both doors. There is a small allen set screw in the middle of it that must be screwed 'in' to allow the manual function to work. Screw in the hex screw, put your spark plug socket on the hex, and twist away! Toph
1983 633CSi Balticblau Metallic
1972 K5 Blazer w/4Wheel Popup
1972 Datsun 510 Badass Monster!
1959 Corvette FI 283
1950 8N Ford Tractor (Harrison)

"Strive for perfection, excellence will be accepted."
mousemaster

Post by mousemaster »

Ok, I will take it that a 1989 6ER doesn't need the part. One more question about the screw drivers. What's up with the different colored handles? Should they both match and if so, what color? I have seen green and red.
GWL

Post by GWL »

mousemaster wrote:Ok, I will take it that a 1989 6ER doesn't need the part. One more question about the screw drivers. What's up with the different colored handles? Should they both match and if so, what color? I have seen green and red.
Hope you get an answer. Mine are gray small and red large on the 87 M6 and both red on the 80 Euro :D
Last edited by GWL on Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cgswift

AFAIK

Post by cgswift »

BMW had Grey, Red, and the, for some reason, coveted Green handles. I am not aware of any timeframes that the individual colors might correspond with. Maybe someone with the 'insider' knowledge will post. Toph(The guy without ANY screwdrivers remaining in his tool kit.)
1983 633CSi Balticblau Metallic
1972 K5 Blazer w/4Wheel Popup
1972 Datsun 510 Badass Monster!
1959 Corvette FI 283
1950 8N Ford Tractor (Harrison)

"Strive for perfection, excellence will be accepted."
Old_School

Post by Old_School »

If the kit is original the screwdriver handles will match. Red is most rare, then green, though if you buy a replacement large kit through Mobile Tradition you'll get green ones, the handle is different and won't fit in the box properly. The grey ones are, as far as I know, only the small reversable screwdriver, which came with newer models, starting with, I think, the E30.

Why does the colour matter? I suppose if you're trying to restore a car to original, it pays to have the toolkit look as it would have on the showroom floor. The problem is it's almost impossible to really know (except the grey handled ones were not standard on E24s, I believe). The only one I can be sure of is the E28 M5, which, for some reason, only had red handle screwdrivers. Otherwise, I'm guessing it depended on what Heyco was providing when the tools were bought in bulk.
alpinacsi

Post by alpinacsi »

This is what I have come to know on the screw driver handles:

Red was typically found in the older cars such as the e3 and e9 and was also found on the early e12 with the deluxe kit as well as the early e23 and e24. It was later used on the the M5 and M6. Both screw drivers should match.

The green handle was introduced sometime in the early '80's and was found in the e28 with deluxe kit, the e23 and e24 except most of the m5 and m6. Again both screw drivers should match.

The grey handle was available back with the e21 and has been standard in the small kits and is still used today. I was not used in the the large deluxe kits.

The replacement green handle screwdriver as mentioned is different than the original.

It was very easy for these to get mixed up with the new cars because they came shipped in without tools in the kit and the tools were installed by the dealers as part of the pre delivery inspection.
mousemaster

Post by mousemaster »

That was an imformative reply.

So for a 1988 M6 (US car), the original tool box should have a red handle?

Please look over this sentence again. It is a little confusing to me:

The green handle was introduced sometime in the early '80's and was found in the e28 with deluxe kit, the e23 and e24 except most of the m5 and m6.

One last question for everyone. The US M6 has a flat area over the trunk battery box. It has a small inset with two rubber straps above it. My car has nothing in this area but it looks like something should go there. Any ideas?

Mousemaster
GWL

Post by GWL »

mousemaster wrote:That was an imformative reply.

The green handle was introduced sometime in the early '80's and was found in the e28 with deluxe kit, the e23 and e24 except most of the m5 and m6.

One last question for everyone. The US M6 has a flat area over the trunk battery box. It has a small inset with two rubber straps above it. My car has nothing in this area but it looks like something should go there. Any ideas?
Mousemaster
I do not know what is "supposed" to be stored there, but I store the Wheel cap removal tool there. :D
alpinacsi

Post by alpinacsi »

Mousemaster
Not to be a smart a$$ but what is confusing? Or do you mean the overlap?
the early versions of the e23 and e24 used the red but later switched to the green. The M5 and M6 would still get the red handle sets but I have seen the green set installed in a M6 but when I said something everyone was too lazy to have it changed. The guys would all say "its not my job" and ignore it.

The place above the battery was for storage of the warning triangle which was not supplied with the US cars. Much like the first aid kit compartment that was marked and provided but empty. The warning triangle that was used was in a blue plactic container.

Then you have several variations of the polishing cloth. The early ones in our cars would have been a royal blue with a dark blue Roundel. the later ones were torquoise with the Roundel and then some were torquoise without the Roundel.

Another thing was the 8/10 mm wrench. The sets had both the open end and box end wrenches and sometimes the extra was just put in the kit but many times it found its way into someones tool box.

The emergancy window tool; the small plastic thing was used on the early cars and then later it was needed on the rear windows and not the front and then at some point it may not have been needed at all but it still seemed to be supplied in the kit.

There are several variations in the tool kit over the years and unlike what many people think, the trays are different between the e23, e24, and e28. I know the M series had an additional tool for the spark plug but I can not remember if the tray was different.
Old_School

Post by Old_School »

[quote="alpinacsi] I know the M series had an additional tool for the spark plug but I can not remember if the tray was different.[/quote]

The tray appears to be the same. I have yet to figure out why the special two-piece spark-plug tool is included, other than the deep recess for the M5/6 plugs needs the tool to extend. However it has two definite wrench ends but I have no idea what the other end wrenches.
mousemaster

Post by mousemaster »

I have one red screw driver and one green in my M6 box. Where can I get another red one?
alpinacsi

Post by alpinacsi »

mousemaster wrote:I have one red screw driver and one green in my M6 box. Where can I get another red one?
Which red one do you need?
GWL

Post by GWL »

alpinacsi wrote:
mousemaster wrote:I have one red screw driver and one green in my M6 box. Where can I get another red one?
Which red one do you need?
Don't know about him, but I need the small red reversable. :D I have a small gray to trade.
mousemaster

Post by mousemaster »

I need a big red screwdriver. I have the little one.
alpinacsi

Post by alpinacsi »

I think I have a couple but the plating is not great. I do have several small red ones and a few green ones in various condition.
GWL

Post by GWL »

alpinacsi wrote:I think I have a couple but the plating is not great. I do have several small red ones and a few green ones in various condition.
Are you going to Sharkfest? If so please bring a small red one. :D
m6csi

Post by m6csi »

Mousemaster
This area is use for storing the factory emergency reflective triangle that you buy as an accessory. Have not seen too many of them, bought one several years back and it came with a black vinyl pouch whereas in some Euro CSi pictures, they came with what looked like a hard plastic container.

Bert
88 M6
72 3.5 CSi
BIMMER

Post by BIMMER »

BIMMER wrote:At this moment I have :roll: . I WANT A NEW COMPLETE ONE :cry: . Who can help me????

I have bought a new toolkit :D . Everything fits perfect except the screwdriver. I will make some pictures... Everything is in a green color.

On all tools the name HEYCO is mentioned and not BMW as the originals.
mousemaster

Post by mousemaster »

All of my tools say Heyco. I believe that is the name of the tools supplied by BMW for the US market.

Green handle screwdrivers are original.
Old_School

Post by Old_School »

BIMMER wrote:I have bought a new toolkit :D . Everything fits perfect except the screwdriver. I will make some pictures... Everything is in a green color.

On all tools the name HEYCO is mentioned and not BMW as the originals.
You got the one from BMW? I did the same thing, but there are a few differences. As mentioned, Heyco manufactured all of the tools, even the old ones. My M5 kit is 100% complete (now, I had to scavenge a few parts) and everything is Heyco, including the red screwdrivers.
C-Fade M-Tech

Post by C-Fade M-Tech »

It's empty :cry:
Chris Wright

Post by Chris Wright »

My wrenches are "Heyco - W. Germany" on one side and "BMW" on the other
mousemaster

Post by mousemaster »

From what I hear from fellow enthusiasts, the red handle screwdrivers are the hardest to find. They were usually only installed in the M series cars. Because the tool kits were dealer installed from BMW supplied kits, you may not have always gotten an M tool kit. Rather, you may have gotten what was available that day.

The red handle screwdrivers are insainely priced on ebay when they show up.