What's in your toolkit??

Post in this forum for topics relating to the exterior. This includes body, windows, and accessories

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

BIMMER

Post by BIMMER »

Old_School wrote:
BIMMER wrote:I have bought a new toolkit :D . Everything fits perfect except the screwdriver. I will make some pictures... Everything is in a green color.

On all tools the name HEYCO is mentioned and not BMW as the originals.
You got the one from BMW? I did the same thing, but there are a few differences. As mentioned, Heyco manufactured all of the tools, even the old ones. My M5 kit is 100% complete (now, I had to scavenge a few parts) and everything is Heyco, including the red screwdrivers.
yes, I bought it from BMW. Price = +/- 120 euro
C-Fade M-Tech

Post by C-Fade M-Tech »

BIMMER wrote:
Old_School wrote:
!?!?!? what! isnt that like 240 USD?!?!?!?
GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My tool kit :)

Post by GRNSHRK »

Thought I should post this, original as can be :wink:
Attachments
Ole Greeny's Tool Kit
Ole Greeny's Tool Kit
Took kit - sm.jpg (82.51 KiB) Viewed 10346 times
:mrgreen:
Bobbo
1980 633 CSi Cypress Green/Pearl Beige
2017 X5 M Sport Xdrive 35i Carbon Black/Ivory White
2005 330 Ci ZHP Cabrio Imola Red/Bone/Black
C-Fade M-Tech

Post by C-Fade M-Tech »

.... do you want me to hate you! I have to find someone with these on ebay...
horsetan

Post by horsetan »

mousemaster wrote:From what I hear from fellow enthusiasts, the red handle screwdrivers are the hardest to find. They were usually only installed in the M series cars.....
Not so. My 1983 635CSi still has both its red-handled screwdrivers. They've been in the toolkit since Year Zero.
mousemaster

Post by mousemaster »

I have a spare small red handle screwdriver available.
Old_School

Post by Old_School »

BIMMER wrote:
Old_School wrote:
BIMMER wrote:I have bought a new toolkit :D . Everything fits perfect except the screwdriver. I will make some pictures... Everything is in a green color.

On all tools the name HEYCO is mentioned and not BMW as the originals.
You got the one from BMW? I did the same thing, but there are a few differences. As mentioned, Heyco manufactured all of the tools, even the old ones. My M5 kit is 100% complete (now, I had to scavenge a few parts) and everything is Heyco, including the red screwdrivers.
Yoiks! I hate to say it, but you got skinned. I paid $95 US for the complete kit (plus a bit for shipping, but it was part of a larger parts order). Even with Canadian customs it didn't come to more than $120US.
C-Fade M-Tech

Post by C-Fade M-Tech »

Old_School wrote: Yoiks! I hate to say it, but you got skinned. I paid $95 US for the complete kit (plus a bit for shipping, but it was part of a larger parts order). Even with Canadian customs it didn't come to more than $120US.
What did you ask for? I need everything.... i just want to know what to ask them for....
GWL

Post by GWL »

horsetan wrote:
mousemaster wrote:From what I hear from fellow enthusiasts, the red handle screwdrivers are the hardest to find. They were usually only installed in the M series cars.....
Not so. My 1983 635CSi still has both its red-handled screwdrivers. They've been in the toolkit since Year Zero.
I agree, the tool kit in my Euro 1980 635CSi came from Germany with red handles in 1981.
m6csi

Post by m6csi »

GWL wrote:
horsetan wrote:
I agree, the tool kit in my Euro 1980 635CSi came from Germany with red handles in 1981.
The red handle screwdrivers go back all the way to the eary 1970's. All the CS coupes were equipped with them.

Bert
72 3.5 CSi
88 M6
Attachments
830051190105_0_ALB.jpg
830051190105_0_ALB.jpg (28.06 KiB) Viewed 10228 times
BIMMER

Post by BIMMER »

Old_School wrote:
BIMMER wrote: yes, I bought it from BMW. Price = +/- 120 euro
Yoiks! I hate to say it, but you got skinned. I paid $95 US for the complete kit (plus a bit for shipping, but it was part of a larger parts order). Even with Canadian customs it didn't come to more than $120US.
I live in Belgium and not the USA.
1 euro = 0,65 dollar
120 euro = 78 US dollar

You paid it more than I did...
TN_M6

Post by TN_M6 »

FWIW, My original and I think complete 535 tool kit. The blue cloth is set aside but I have it.

Did not post the 6 since it looks just like Bimmer's almost empty one, sadly my M6 kit is missing both pliers and screwdrivers and the spark plug wrench that actually fits the 18 mm M plugs. Where's the best place to replace all those items? I guess it would have originally had red handled screwdrivers. I take it even the 'new' green ones don't fit quite right. I have meant to try the parts from the 5 in the 6 but keep forgetting, maybe I'll remember to do that when I get home.

Update... Just got home and checked, sure enough the 535 pieces fit in the 6er open spots. Looking agian at pictures I did not notice anyone's kit with both the long and slightly shorter combo 10/11 box spanner. I happen to have both of those and three each open end and box end wrenches.
Old_School

Post by Old_School »

BIMMER wrote:
Old_School wrote:
BIMMER wrote: yes, I bought it from BMW. Price = +/- 120 euro
I live in Belgium and not the USA.
1 euro = 0,65 dollar
120 euro = 78 US dollar

You paid it more than I did...
It's the other way around. 1 Euro is about $1.60 US, so 120 Euro=$190US. That said, everything in Europe seems to be priced higher, except gasoline.
Old_School

Post by Old_School »

Here's my M5 toolkit. Just missing the tommy-bar for the spark-plug wrench.

The Sixer kit is somewhat less.
GWL

Post by GWL »

TN_M635 wrote:FWIW, My original and I think complete 535 tool kit. The blue cloth is set aside but I have it.

Did not post the 6 since it looks just like Bimmer's almost empty one, sadly my M6 kit is missing both pliers and screwdrivers and the spark plug wrench that actually fits the 18 mm M plugs. Where's the best place to replace all those items? I guess it would have originally had red handled screwdrivers. I take it even the 'new' green ones don't fit quite right. I have meant to try the parts from the 5 in the 6 but keep forgetting, maybe I'll remember to do that when I get home.

Update... Just got home and checked, sure enough the 535 pieces fit in the 6er open spots. Looking agian at pictures I did not notice anyone's kit with both the long and slightly shorter combo 10/11 box spanner. I happen to have both of those and three each open end and box end wrenches.
Here is a Spark Plug wrench on eBay from a former M6 owner. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... :IT&ih=013
m6csi

Post by m6csi »

mousemaster wrote:
One last question for everyone. The US M6 has a flat area over the trunk battery box. It has a small inset with two rubber straps above it. My car has nothing in this area but it looks like something should go there. Any ideas?

Mousemaster
This is what you are missing! The safety reflective triangle. This is the early Euro version. Bought one a few years back and it came with a black vinyl pouch.
Attachments
d3ae_1.jpg
d3ae_1.jpg (21.08 KiB) Viewed 10369 times
d854_1.jpg
d854_1.jpg (26.67 KiB) Viewed 10369 times
V

Post by V »

I just bought a partial tool kit for an early 80's 6er on ebay. Between that, the E28 parts car I bought and what my 6er had when I bought it I'll have a near complete toolkit! Including the ariel wipes!

Only thing I'm missing is the blue cleaning cloth, anyone know anywhere to get them now?

I'll have a few doubles if anyone wants them (Large red screwdriver, small original green screwdriver and more)
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

Old_School wrote:It's the other way around. 1 Euro is about $1.60 US, so 120 Euro=$190US. That said, everything in Europe seems to be priced higher, except gasoline.
yes indeed re the exchange rate, but you think our European gasoline is cheaper? Are you quite mad? We pay in Europe approximately three times more for our fuel than you do in the USA, i.e. we pay for one litre what you would pay for a US gallon.....

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
pa633

Post by pa633 »

yep, just paid 1.71 euro for one liter ron98 That is 6,45 euro a gallon or just about 9,50 usd...
bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bpoliakoff »

Only thing I'm missing is the blue cleaning cloth, anyone know anywhere to get them now?[/quote]

I have new blue cloths exactly as original $40 shipped in the USA, $8 to Europe or OZ
81 Euro 635 M90 with motronic. Currently under a complete nut and bolt restoration. Pictures at
flickr.com/photos/bertsphotos.
ron
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by ron »

bpoliakoff wrote: .... $8 to Europe or OZ
Sounds a real bargain at that price!! Have you missed a zero off?
They are ALWAYS rustier than you thought!!!!!!
'85 M #228
'87 M #367
'88 High line.
'10 X5
‘84 Alfasud 1.5 ti
bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bpoliakoff »

I guess it is as for the amount I have sold, not one complaint, only compliments. Even the E9 people like them!!
Attachments
IMG_1051.JPG
IMG_1051.JPG (450.13 KiB) Viewed 9687 times
81 Euro 635 M90 with motronic. Currently under a complete nut and bolt restoration. Pictures at
M6smitten

Post by M6smitten »

V wrote:
Only thing I'm missing is the blue cleaning cloth, anyone know anywhere to get them now?
Mobile Tradition has a couple real cleaning clothes left but they're expensive - $150. My opinion is if you're going to buy, get authentic.
2011 1 Series M
1974 2002 Turbo
1987 M6 (2/87) - Sold
1984 M635CSi (10/84) - Sold
2012 335 xi
2009 328 xi

bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bpoliakoff »

Have those too, lightly used. Main reason for doing this was to not pay Maximillian or Mobil tradition a burglars price. But, each to his own.
ron
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by ron »

Are you saying they are $8 shipped to UK? If so, I'll have 4 please.
They are ALWAYS rustier than you thought!!!!!!
'85 M #228
'87 M #367
'88 High line.
'10 X5
‘84 Alfasud 1.5 ti