Rear fog light mystery solved

Post in this forum for topics relating to the exterior. This includes body, windows, and accessories

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

rmorin1249

Rear fog light mystery solved

Post by rmorin1249 »

Turns out I do have both right and left rear fog lights. The bulbs are the same as the brake light; 7506 25 watt bulbs. So when they are on they are the same brightness as the brake lights.
e24trapt

Post by e24trapt »

I have a spare set of taillights, so I added bulb sockets into my 89 6er taillights and now have all four lights across the rear as well as the brake light behind the glass so five....just to minimize chances of getting rear ended.

Where would the factory switch be for the "fog light" option? I know it would work like Mercedes in a way, but correct me if im wrong, would the switch be above your right knee on the lower dash? I would like to make my car have the both left or right rear fog lights option.
2002 Cadillac DTS Vogue 32v V8 (Daily)

1983 BMW 633csi N/A Beast (sold)
Cali 1988 BMW 635csi Resto (in progress)
Cali 1989 BMW 635csi high comp tuned zinnabar 5 speed (keeper)
rmorin1249

Post by rmorin1249 »

e24trapt wrote:I have a spare set of taillights, so I added bulb sockets into my 89 6er taillights and now have all four lights across the rear as well as the brake light behind the glass so five....just to minimize chances of getting rear ended.

Where would the factory switch be for the "fog light" option? I know it would work like Mercedes in a way, but correct me if im wrong, would the switch be above your right knee on the lower dash? I would like to make my car have the both left or right rear fog lights option.
The rear fog lights are activated by the same switch as the front. It is located on the right side of the steering wheel. Pull it out one click for the front and two clicks for both front and rear.
Chris Wright

Post by Chris Wright »

Since rear fogs are not an option in the states, wouldn't they be a bit dangerous? Because people weren't used to them, It would look like someone was backing up in front of you or worse, headlights coming at you in the fog!!?
:shock:
rmorin1249

Post by rmorin1249 »

Chris Wright wrote:Since rear fogs are not an option in the states, wouldn't they be a bit dangerous? Because people weren't used to them, It would look like someone was backing up in front of you or worse, headlights coming at you in the fog!!?
The rear fog lights are bright red. My 2013 Audi A6 has them as well. I rarely use them but they are definitely a safety feature as they increase the visibility of your car from the rear and keep folks from following too close.
Chris Wright

Post by Chris Wright »

rmorin1249 wrote:
Chris Wright wrote:Since rear fogs are not an option in the states, wouldn't they be a bit dangerous? Because people weren't used to them, It would look like someone was backing up in front of you or worse, headlights coming at you in the fog!!?
The rear fog lights are bright red. My 2013 Audi A6 has them as well. I rarely use them but they are definitely a safety feature as they increase the visibility of your car from the rear and keep folks from following too close.
Ah ... now I understand #-o , yes does sound like a very good idea! 8)
FredEDeuel

Post by FredEDeuel »

I have also been wondering what the "rear fog lights" are, so let me see if this is right; basically an extra bulb that comes on in the red part of the tail light when you have the front fog lights on, there by adding brightness and visibility in low visibility situations?
rmorin1249

Post by rmorin1249 »

Yes, there are 2 extra bulbs in the red section that illuminate separately. The switch on the dash has 2 positions. The first detent activates the front fog lights. Pull it out all the way and both the front and rear fog lights are activated. I believe the rear fog lights were only installed on Euro cars as are the front parking side lights.