NEW Hella Fog Lights - Pics attached - FOUND THEM. THANKS!

Post in this forum for topics relating to the exterior. This includes body, windows, and accessories

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

BMW187

NEW Hella Fog Lights - Pics attached - FOUND THEM. THANKS!

Post by BMW187 »

I have two fog light assemblies (housing and glass insert) that include Hella fog light glass.

My Shark: I have an '83 633 but the front spoiler I have is from another e-24 and I don't know what year car the spoiler is from.

Back to the fogs: Glass is pitted and I'd like to replace them (looked at possibly restoring them but it looks very, very labor intensive to do so).

Glass insert measures approximately 6 3/4" x 3 3/8". There are lots of Bosch lenses on E-bay that look much like what I'm after, but the size is smaller, so I know that's a no go.

I don't have to have Hella's, if someone else is making less expensive glass that fits. Saw a pair of Hella glass online (not sure if it will even fit) for $130, plus $45 shipping, but I really don't want to pay that unless there are no other options.

Please know that I have done my best to scour the search engine for an answer to this, but I have yet to find anything addressing this bang-on.

Would greatly appreciate some guidance as to what my logical options may be.

thanks,
Brett
BMW 187

P.S. I owned a 1986 325es with a factory front spoiler and fogs. Turns out the fog assemblies on that e30 were identical to my e-24's fogs in every way except the electrical connectors. Thinking that may help with availability of replacements??
Attachments
Fogs 001.JPG
Fogs 001.JPG (441.16 KiB) Viewed 14452 times
Fogs 002.JPG
Fogs 002.JPG (327.58 KiB) Viewed 14452 times
Fogs 003.JPG
Fogs 003.JPG (302.19 KiB) Viewed 14452 times
Fogs 004.JPG
Fogs 004.JPG (287.92 KiB) Viewed 14452 times
Last edited by BMW187 on Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
BMW187

Post by BMW187 »

Bump. Revised post and included pictures. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
JAWS

Post by JAWS »

I am too in search of this size driving/fog light and I have not been able to find that size anywhere. I was told they were no long made in that size "new" Of course I am sure you can find an old used pair possibly , but "new" they are gone. :evil: Let me know if you find a source for them new.
BMW187

Post by BMW187 »

I now have a better understanding of what I am after.

Part # 63121468159

I found two on-line retailers that claim to have these available for sale. Would have placed my order but after having learned how hard these are to find, I instead sent them e-mails to confirm their availability. Haven't heard back from either of them yet, but I'm still hopeful. Will let the board know how this all works out.
GripGreg

Post by GripGreg »

I just googled 'Hella driving lights for 1985 BMW 635' & found alotta choices!
I didn't know your year car; good luck,,,,Greg
Hit the apex
in Long Beach, Cal
Buster/'82Euro6 Build Date 9/81
Rosallina/'80 528i Build Date 4/80
BMW187

Post by BMW187 »

Did some more research... This is looking bleaker and bleaker....

For others future reference, this lens model number is:

63121468159 - that's the BMW OE part #

Also:

1NB 960-501-00 - that's the Hella Part Number

This lens was also used in some other BMW models, including the 1986 and 1987 BMW 325is, 325es and possibly the e30 M3 - the versions which had a full front spoiler as original equipment. I believe this lens was also used on some of the 5 series of similar years.

No luck with finding anyone online who actually has these lenses. Some say they do, but they don't. I'm fairly confident in this statement spending all day today on this. I even placed and order with one vendor (Partsdiscounters.com) which stated it had the part but after a couple of phone calls, they actually didn't truly have it. - They are a reseller as so many are, and try to get the part after you place your order, and since these are no longer available...

If anyone on this board knows otherwise, please respond to this post or PM me.

Thanks.
BMW187

Post by BMW187 »

GripGreg wrote:I just googled 'Hella driving lights for 1985 BMW 635' & found alotta choices!
I didn't know your year car; good luck,,,,Greg
Thanks Greg, for taking the time. Yes, using that phrase, there are lots of choices, but unfortunately all are for the wrong size hella lens. Need one measuring apx. 6.75" x 3.5" with rounded corners. Part number 63121468159 or 1NB 960-501-00. When I search with these part numbers, a few sites come up, most are "NLA - No Longer Available" and those that aren't, don't actually stock the part or know where to get it, at least in my experience.
JAWS

Post by JAWS »

He is correct , there are a lot of choices when you google it , but they are not the correct dimensions he speaks of. I too have been in search of the original ones in that size and they are available no where. (new)
BMW187

Post by BMW187 »

Yesterday I explored the route of glass restoration for the pitted glass lenses I do have. The quote I received was $200 - just a wee bit north of my budget for this experiment.

Seems to me that if I can't find the appropriate new replacement lenses (and it's certainly looking like that now), maybe someone (Hella or Bosch) makes a lens that might come close enough in fit for government work.

Size I need is apx. 6.75" long by 3.5" wide.

Anyone gone this route?
Pat_M635csi

Replace mine with M3 lense

Post by Pat_M635csi »

Hit a curb once with aid dam on M635 and dealer replaced with a M3 foglight. Looks identical to original. Have to go back to see what the part number was.
1985 M635CSI M88/3
1997 Z3 2.8
2010 535xi Touring w/Dinan Stage 3 upgrade
following were sold but not forgotten
2000 540it
1972 3.0CS Polaris
1972 3.0CSI Polaris
1986 735i 5sp
1983 733i
1969 2000 tilux
1972 2002 tii
1973 2002
Alpinacsi

Post by Alpinacsi »

M635 and m3 have the same lens. M635 and US M6 / 635 are different than the M635. US 635 and 86-87 US e30 are the same.

I have a few of the US 635 one available and will see if I can get some pictures
Alpina B9 coupe (Alpinweiss)
Alpina B9 sedan (Alpinweiss)
Alpina B6 clone in process (Alpinweiss)
Mini S (had to go: it was Electric Blue)
Rover Disco 1 (Alpine White)
86_6series
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by 86_6series »

Mine looked the same way. Called Hella, very helpful in telling me nla.

Decided to try
http://www.gtglass.com/glass-scratch-re ... repair-kit

Cut & cut & cut & cut with plently of distilled water.

A little better but never going to restore smooth.

Put a coat of rain x and filled pits pretty good.

Once installed, very hard to see blasting marks.
BMW187

Post by BMW187 »

Thanks for these posts and feedback. They are all really appreciated.

What I really want is brand new glass. As far as I can tell, there is none to be had...anywhere...at any price. I've also confirmed this with Hella and BMW and done multiple web searches using the various product ID numbers I have.

FYI, according to my research, these particular lenses were used on 1985-1987 BMW 635Csi, M635, M6, 325es and M3 as well as some of the sportier 5 series (with full factory spoilers) of the same year.

Now I want to explore finding some glass that will *MOSTLY* fit. The measurements of the glass are 170mm x 90mm. Hella currently makes a "Hella 450" light that contains a lens that measures 160mm x 90mm. It appears to me that it might be a possible fit, with a little customization (adding some black plastic to shorten the length of the frame). Has anyone gone this route?
Alpinacsi

Post by Alpinacsi »

BMW187 wrote:Thanks for these posts and feedback. They are all really appreciated.

What I really want is brand new glass. As far as I can tell, there is none to be had...anywhere...at any price. I've also confirmed this with Hella and BMW and done multiple web searches using the various product ID numbers I have.

FYI, according to my research, these particular lenses were used on 1985-1987 BMW 635Csi, M635, M6, 325es and M3 as well as some of the sportier 5 series (with full factory spoilers) of the same year.

Now I want to explore finding some glass that will *MOSTLY* fit. The measurements of the glass are 170mm x 90mm. Hella currently makes a "Hella 450" light that contains a lens that measures 160mm x 90mm. It appears to me that it might be a possible fit, with a little customization (adding some black plastic to shorten the length of the frame). Has anyone gone this route?
I would be glad to sell you new lens for the m635 or m3. And these are still available new from various sources including BMW. You might not get the hella brand but they are currently offering ZKW. I have a collection of them and keep them for various cars that I work on such as euro e24, e30 m3 the euro e23 and e28. But as I have stated previously; they are NOT the same as the US e24 or US e30 with is or es spoiler. If you still wish to purchase new ones of the ones you have mentioned let me know. If you wish to purchase used ones of the correct ones for the US spoiler for the 85-87 e24 spoiler I have them as well. These are not a BMW part nor is the spoiler itself. These are BMWNA parts and were installed when the cars reached the US. Very much like the e28 m5 and 535is for NA. This spoiler was made in the US and I still have a new one of those in the box marked as such.

Good luck with the search for new fog lights as you can see it is very difficult to find dealers that actually know about these older models.
BMW187

Post by BMW187 »

Alpinacsi wrote:
BMW187 wrote:Thanks for these posts and feedback. They are all really appreciated.

I would be glad to sell you new lens for the m635 or m3. And these are still available new from various sources including BMW. You might not get the hella brand but they are currently offering ZKW. I have a collection of them and keep them for various cars that I work on such as euro e24, e30 m3 the euro e23 and e28. But as I have stated previously; they are NOT the same as the US e24 or US e30 with is or es spoiler. If you still wish to purchase new ones of the ones you have mentioned let me know. If you wish to purchase used ones of the correct ones for the US spoiler for the 85-87 e24 spoiler I have them as well. These are not a BMW part nor is the spoiler itself. These are BMWNA parts and were installed when the cars reached the US. Very much like the e28 m5 and 535is for NA. This spoiler was made in the US and I still have a new one of those in the box marked as such.

Good luck with the search for new fog lights as you can see it is very difficult to find dealers that actually know about these older models.
PM SENT
BMW187

Got A New Set of Glass!

Post by BMW187 »

Through the help of fellow board member, ALPINACSI, who found a post for a new set of glass on an E30 board and was thoughtful enough to point me in the right direction, I was able to purchase, for $115, including delivery, a NEW set of these Hella OE lenses.

This would not have happened without this BIG COUPE board and the help of ALPINACSI.

THANK YOU!!! =D> =D>
Ralph in Socal
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Got A New Set of Glass!

Post by Ralph in Socal »

BMW187 wrote:Through the help of fellow board member, ALPINACSI, who found a post for a new set of glass on an E30 board and was thoughtful enough to point me in the right direction, I was able to purchase, for $115, including delivery, a NEW set of these Hella OE lenses.

This would not have happened without this BIG COUPE board and the help of ALPINACSI.

THANK YOU!!! =D> =D>
Well done Todd =D> =D>

Ralph
There is a very fine line between "Hobby" and Mental Illness.

85 635csi Zinno Auto
84 528i Euro
83 635 Euro Arktik
81 528i Kastanien 5-speed
88 528e Bronzit (Granpa Car)
86 535i Auto (For Sale)
81 633 csi (retired)
BMW187

One More Set Of New Lenses Available

Post by BMW187 »

I'm not selling these, but if anyone is interested in buying a NEW set, the guy I bought mine from for $115/pair, delivered, has one remaining NEW set.

To be specific, and for future board reference, these lenses are:

88 88 5 000 218 also known as:
63121468159 and further known as:
1NB 960-501-00

That's right, three model numbers, all for the same part.

These are made by Hella and NEW ones are NLA (no longer available). It's been this way for quite some time.

Not many board members will need these lenses, (which is good, since I can personally attest that they are one hell of a bitch to find) since they are specific to:

85-87 325es & possibly the 325is
85-87 635

See the entire thread here for more info.

If you want contact info for the seller, please feel free to PM me and I'll gladly shoot you his e-mail address.

P.S. I tried substituting the Hella 450 lenses...that was a no-go for me.
BORN2RUN

Post by BORN2RUN »

Try here:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=bm ... s&_sacat=0

My car is an '88 with the curved corner ones - I found a cheapie pair of aftermarket ones on E-bay under E34 parts - they are the same size and fit exactly.
BMW187

Post by BMW187 »

BORN2RUN wrote:Try here:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=bm ... s&_sacat=0

My car is an '88 with the curved corner ones - I found a cheapie pair of aftermarket ones on E-bay under E34 parts - they are the same size and fit exactly.
Thank you for your efforts and for posting. You are indeed correct that for an '88, there are readily available options. Unfortunately it's these '85-87 years that are the ones that are nearly impossible to find. The Bosch lenses on e-bay look like they would fit, until you check the measurements. Unfortunately, none of these lenses on e-bay are 170mm x 90 mm and none are Hella. :cry:
sansouci
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sansouci »

I just saw on autobahnparts.com a set of Hellas on a 1985 635. It's their car number 463 which they acquired 12/5/12
May be what some of you are looking for. I've never dealt with them. Caveat Emptor
Sansouci
84 E24 633Csi Auto, Bronzit/PearlBeige 6997510
93 E32 740il M60 Auto, Alpenweis/Ultramarine
60 528i M30 5-speed Green/Beige (crushed)
71 240Z 4-speed White/Blue (rusty & sold)
65 396 Chevelle 4-speed, Marina Blue/Black (stolen)
Alpinacsi

Post by Alpinacsi »

I also have a few correct used ones if anyone is looking.
BMW187

Post by BMW187 »

sansouci wrote:I just saw on autobahnparts.com a set of Hellas on a 1985 635. It's their car number 463 which they acquired 12/5/12
May be what some of you are looking for. I've never dealt with them. Caveat Emptor
Thank you for taking the time to post.

Indeed it is not too difficult to find USED lenses of this type, just nearly impossible to find NEW replacement lenses of this particular type.

I did find what I was looking for. Thanks.
GripGreg

Post by GripGreg »

Is there a lens cap available for those lights?
How come nobody asked about them?? :-k
Just sayin',,,,Greg
Hit the apex
in Long Beach, Cal
Buster/'82Euro6 Build Date 9/81
Rosallina/'80 528i Build Date 4/80
BMW187

Post by BMW187 »

GripGreg wrote:Is there a lens cap available for those lights?
How come nobody asked about them?? :-k
Just sayin',,,,Greg
GripGreg: What do you mean by a "lens cap"? I don't know what a lens cap is. Can you describe it and/or post a photo, please. Thanks.