rustproofing gloop; a useful comparison

Post in this forum for topics relating to the exterior. This includes body, windows, and accessories

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

rustproofing gloop; a useful comparison

Post by Brucey »

unless you live in the desert someplace your 6er is probably quietly trying to, erm, 'revert to it's native oxide state'.

It'll be doing this 24/7, 365 days a year, with no time off for good behaviour....

Bearing this in mind the subject of rustproofing should be near to your heart.... I've used waxoyl for years so I was interested to see a comparative test of both external coatings and wax based rust inhibitors;

http://www.vdubxs.com/wp-content/upload ... hly_uk.pdf

some interesting results in there. I think I'll be sticking with the waxoyl for the most part but there are clearly alternatives which are worth a punt and could be better if you want a quick and easy treatment in a small area. Shame they didn't include Dinitrol in the tests really.

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ericono

Post by ericono »

Brucey,

Thanks for the link. Here in the States we don't seem to have as much of these products. I have usually lived further south which doesn't use salt on the roads in winter so maybe it's just me, but anyway this had some good information in it. Now I have to figure out how to get some of that stuff here, especially the top finishers.

Thanks again,

Eric
'85 M635, '00 528iT, '98 Z3
olympia57
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by olympia57 »

Like you Bruce I've used Waxoyl for :roll: probably thirty plus years now and have been satisfied with it's performance .
I was pleased to see how it peformed as I've got ten litres to inject into the car in the next two to three weeks.
I think it gets such bad press as it's says in the text that you have to approach the application sensibly and follow some key rules and steps to get proper protection. Everyone seems to want a 100% clean aerosol application whereas It is a dirty , messy cumbersome job that leaves you with a great feeling of satisfaction once done . :D
I'll do a full write up with photos when I do mine showing tools used , additional access holes and methods of getting the stuff where it matters .
ron
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by ron »

I've used the Bilt-Hamber Dynax S50 for a few years now with excellent results.

The other Bilt-Hamber products I use are Hydrate 80 (a liquid rust killer) and Deox C (a powder mixed in hot water for immersing larger items to kill rust).

I am NOT a Bilt-Hamber agent!
They are ALWAYS rustier than you thought!!!!!!
'85 M #228
'87 M #367
'88 High line.
'10 X5
‘84 Alfasud 1.5 ti
cornershop

Post by cornershop »

ron wrote:I've used the Bilt-Hamber Dynax S50 for a few years now with excellent results.

The other Bilt-Hamber products I use are Hydrate 80 (a liquid rust killer) and Deox C (a powder mixed in hot water for immersing larger items to kill rust).

I am NOT a Bilt-Hamber agent!
i like their stuff too

Surfex HD to clean the area, air dry overnight, then clear Dynax Underbody (UB) was for the wheel arches and suspension components.

As a rust converter, i *believe* FE123 came out tops ina different test - http://www.rust.co.uk/fe-123-rust-converter/c28125/

FWIW, rust.co.uk offer a rust proofing service for circa £400 - ive just not had time to go up there and leave the car there for a week or so.
sansouci
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sansouci »

Great story.
But I'm here in the colonies and I've just checked my under-body while doing some other work. The original factory applied mastic is dried and flaking around the jack points and lift points. I want to recoat those areas before the restoration job. Its not my DD but my Garage Queen which won't see a NY winter or salted roads. We get heavy fog in the mornings so there is high humidity for part of the day and being only 2 miles from the ocean, a higher level of salt in the air.

Not having the arid conditions of arizona I need to do something.

Also, there is a heat shield affixed to the underbody above the cat and there are some gaps that could collect moisture and road crud and want to fill those areas too.

Recommendations are welcome and appreciated.

Ken
Sansouci
84 E24 633Csi Auto, Bronzit/PearlBeige 6997510
93 E32 740il M60 Auto, Alpenweis/Ultramarine
60 528i M30 5-speed Green/Beige (crushed)
71 240Z 4-speed White/Blue (rusty & sold)
65 396 Chevelle 4-speed, Marina Blue/Black (stolen)
sansouci
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sansouci »

I looked at the commercial products offered by rustoleum including an expoxy-mastic 2 part product.
Sansouci
84 E24 633Csi Auto, Bronzit/PearlBeige 6997510
93 E32 740il M60 Auto, Alpenweis/Ultramarine
60 528i M30 5-speed Green/Beige (crushed)
71 240Z 4-speed White/Blue (rusty & sold)
65 396 Chevelle 4-speed, Marina Blue/Black (stolen)
Horsetan

Post by Horsetan »

'tis a bit too late for my car now.