New headlights

Post in this forum for topics relating to the exterior. This includes body, windows, and accessories

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Noct

Post by Noct »

I have to say I agree, that the black background would make these look ghastly... I hope they come out with a chrome or white.

I'd certainly love a huge headlight upgrade. Do these plug into the standard 3 prong electrical for '85-'87 (perhaps earlier?)
dwcains

Post by dwcains »

They can be had with a chrome background, and the plug is the same as an H4 bulb.
baders
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by baders »

Pod wrote:
baders wrote:
Noct wrote:LED Headlights???[/code] I clicked to see this and got "no page found".
I think they were in the process of updating their web site. Here tis;

http://www.jwspeaker.com/products/led-h ... odel-8630/
Just had a look, but I must admit I don't like the appearance and would not fit them to one of my cars :-k
Hmmmm, they have a certain "bug eyed" charm !!

1986 635csi LOCUTUS / Arktis Blau Metallic / Pearl Beige / S38B36/ Close ratio dogleg 5sp
2002 E46 M3 / Topaz Blau Metallic / Black Nappa / 6 speed SMG software tuned / Bilstein PSS10 Coilovers / CMP RACP reinforcement
baders
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by baders »

Yesterday I pulled one of the headlight buckets to inspect. It is indeed the non North American (4 x H1) variety. This limits options to upgrade according to Daniel Stern.

The Speaker LEDs could be used but would require the NA buckets. That, and the cost, which would be over AUD$600.00 each makes it non viable. Thus I've ordered OEM reflectors from the German GP Genuine Parts linked above. Total cost around AUD$400.00 for all four head lights.
1986 635csi LOCUTUS / Arktis Blau Metallic / Pearl Beige / S38B36/ Close ratio dogleg 5sp
2002 E46 M3 / Topaz Blau Metallic / Black Nappa / 6 speed SMG software tuned / Bilstein PSS10 Coilovers / CMP RACP reinforcement
BMWtyro

Post by BMWtyro »

baders,

I tried the ones from Octane Lighting and they were horrible --- worse illumination than the stock Halogen sealed beams! On top of that, they blew my low-beam fuses.

They looked exactly like the ones that you are considering from Powerful UK Ltd; instinctively, I would advise that you pass.

Jeff
Jeff & Dawn Dreibus
1984 633 CSi, 5-speed
1984 320i Baur, 5-speed
1987 325e, Automatic
baders
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by baders »

Nahh, Jeff, after examining many "options", I found there really is only one option. That is replacing like for like and going with OEM parts. I'll probably upgrade to +100 H1 bulbs however.
madman

I have new OEM headlight sets

Post by madman »

Hi, couple of years ago I bought a stock of NOS E24 headlights, around a dozen, with complete frames and housings , old stock some are boxed others are not. Few are clean but mostly are dusty (stocked in a dusty area in UAE) but all new (can the glass be opened and cleaned?)

Let me know if interested
635 CSI Black 1989
New paint
New leather seats
BBS RS 285 18" Rims
baders
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by baders »

Hi Madman. I have ordered a set from the German supplier above, but if they don't materialise I'll definitely contact you. Are these headlights you have the non US version ? (part numbers above).
baders
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by baders »

Are they like these Madman ? Also, which side of road you drive on ?

madman

Post by madman »

[quote="baders"]Are they like these Madman ? Also, which side of road you drive on ?

Hi, they are EURO spec with left hand drive vehicles (not UK ). I will try to take pics and part numbers once I pass by my storage.
635 CSI Black 1989
New paint
New leather seats
BBS RS 285 18" Rims
baders
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by baders »

Thanks Madman but I need RHD UK compatable lights mate.
Pod
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Pod »

Pod wrote:
Pod wrote:Thanks for the post - I bought a pair straight away. A steal at the price and if they don't fit one of my E24s, I'm sure they'll fit another of my cars!
Well, they arrived and I could have got them to fit with a little fettling of the headlamp bowls. However, I didn't bother as their quality is absolute crap! I would imagine they are manufactured in a sweat-shop in India or China. The "reflectors" hardly do that at all. The plating is of very poor quality and the backing is rough.

I have just opened an ebay complaint (something I have never done before), so I'm waiting to see if I can get a refund. The moral of the story is .... you get what you pay for. I should have known better :x
Just to let you know, the seller took them back at his expense and issued a full refund, so great service!