Removing door handles/lock cylinders

Post in this forum for topics relating to the exterior. This includes body, windows, and accessories

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

SWE635

Removing door handles/lock cylinders

Post by SWE635 »

Seeing as how I have one key for my right door, one for my left, one for the ignition and so on I purchased a complete set of steering column, door handles, trunk lock a while back...

I have now started installing it all. The trunk one was easy enough - and I now have selective central locking (the boot also locks/unlocks the fuel door (is that even what it's called?).

At this time I'm at the passenger side (right) door and have gotten the panels off fine.
I'm not really getting any where as far as the lock goes, though.

Seeing as my current handles are in better condition than the ones I purchased I'm not exchanging these. Is it even possible to remove the lock cylinder without taking the whole handle off?
With the two handles I've purchased I simply turn the lock a quarter (or so) of the way toward the center of the handle and it comes off.
Not really the case with the one actually sitting on the car... :(

I've read the different write-ups, but honestly - I'm getting nowhere! Anyone care to enlighten me?

Much appreciated!
---
'89 635CSiA; Zinnoberrot
'11 VW Golf Variant TSI160; Bronze
'15 Nissan Juke; Ink Blue
baders
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by baders »

You will need to disassemble handle, lock, and mechanism. The threads here in "Exterior" give a good account with photos of how to do this.
1986 635csi LOCUTUS / Arktis Blau Metallic / Pearl Beige / S38B36/ Close ratio dogleg 5sp
2002 E46 M3 / Topaz Blau Metallic / Black Nappa / 6 speed SMG software tuned / Bilstein PSS10 Coilovers / CMP RACP reinforcement
SWE635

Post by SWE635 »

I've tried to search the forum (and Google, for that matter) to the best of my ability, but I haven't really found anything that helps me.

By the look of things my lock cylinders differ from those on the pictured E24's in the sense that the have a large washer, of sorts, in the way of me disassemblying the lock itself.
The handle has to come out outwards, while the lock (due to the washer) has to come off inwards. But I can't, for the life of me, figure out how.

I'll try to upload some pics later tonight.
---
'89 635CSiA; Zinnoberrot
Stoffie

Post by Stoffie »

This is some info by CW6er I had bookmarked concerning locks and cylinders etc. Might help out!

A Discussion on the lock cylinders and re-keying them:
viewtopic.php?t=10979&
viewtopic.php?p=94241#94241
viewtopic.php?t=13183&

Removing the Door panels (Cards) ('83 to '87):
viewtopic.php?=110609#110609

New lock set:
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...0#post21555610

Removing the door handle (scroll to the Last post at the bottom)
viewtopic.php?t=6247&

Pictures to go with the explanation above (the Pics are in reverse order, the one that is supposed to be first in the series is last).
viewtopic.php?t=7374&
Last edited by Stoffie on Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
The M88/3 was all about power, no cats. At idle the raw fuel from the exhaust will make your eyes water like an old V-8 powered muscle car's exhaust did.
Sidrick

Post by Sidrick »

Excellent info, but can you check the 4th and 5th links?
SWE635

Post by SWE635 »

Sidrick wrote:Excellent info, but can you check the 4th and 5th links?
The fourth one is easy. Just replace "viewtopic...=" with "viewtopic.php?p" and it should work.
But yeah, thanks a bunch, Stoffie!

I've added a pic of my lock, and it doesen't really look like any of the ones pictured.
Is it possible that someone switched the E24 locks for ones from an E28?
Attachments
Lock
Lock
20150526_183216399_iOS.jpg (917.6 KiB) Viewed 8473 times
---
'89 635CSiA; Zinnoberrot
baders
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by baders »

This looks something like my left hand door lock mechanism, which I believe to be a later fit dur to the quality of the early pot metal type. The plastic levers were a push on fit that you can see I have re secured with a Loctite compound. Mine still has the notorious C clip and door lock heater, which yours does not. I don't know if this will help you.

1986 635csi LOCUTUS / Arktis Blau Metallic / Pearl Beige / S38B36/ Close ratio dogleg 5sp
2002 E46 M3 / Topaz Blau Metallic / Black Nappa / 6 speed SMG software tuned / Bilstein PSS10 Coilovers / CMP RACP reinforcement
SWE635

Post by SWE635 »

baders wrote:This looks something like my left hand door lock mechanism, which I believe to be a later fit dur to the quality of the early pot metal type. The plastic levers were a push on fit that you can see I have re secured with a Loctite compound. Mine still has the notorious C clip and door lock heater, which yours does not. I don't know if this will help you.
Ah, sorry... I should've clarified - This sort of is my "left hand door", at least in the sense that it's my passenger door.
And I know that it's a later fit in one way or another, since I don't recall BMW shipping cars that needed a different key for every lock. ;)
Do you know if I have to pry the plastic bits off in order to actually remove the lock from the handle?
It really seems that I need to remove the BMW-branded washer in order to turn the cylinder enough to get it out.
---
'89 635CSiA; Zinnoberrot
Ralph in Socal
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Ralph in Socal »

SWE635 wrote:
baders wrote:This looks something like my left hand door lock mechanism, which I believe to be a later fit dur to the quality of the early pot metal type. The plastic levers were a push on fit that you can see I have re secured with a Loctite compound. Mine still has the notorious C clip and door lock heater, which yours does not. I don't know if this will help you.
Ah, sorry... I should've clarified - This sort of is my "left hand door", at least in the sense that it's my passenger door.
And I know that it's a later fit in one way or another, since I don't recall BMW shipping cars that needed a different key for every lock. ;)
Do you know if I have to pry the plastic bits off in order to actually remove the lock from the handle?
It really seems that I need to remove the BMW-branded washer in order to turn the cylinder enough to get it out.
This is what is strange as I've taken many cars apart and I've never seen that BMW branded washer type retaining clip. It has always been a wide C-clip that goes through the slots in the outer body of the cylinder. Looking at the pic, it seems that you would pry off the plastic lever and turn the cylinder to extract it.

The end of that control rod also looks dubious. Some kind of adaptation from another model. Have you tried to turn the large washer retainer?

Ralph
There is a very fine line between "Hobby" and Mental Illness.

85 635csi Zinno Auto
84 528i Euro
83 635 Euro Arktik
81 528i Kastanien 5-speed
88 528e Bronzit (Granpa Car)
86 535i Auto (For Sale)
81 633 csi (retired)
baders
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by baders »

The end of that control rod definitely looks to have been bodged up. Which indicates the whole assembly may well be a bodge up. Try very carefully to pry the white levers from the mechanism. This should allow for disassembly. You could also purchase a new lever assembly before you start and convert it back to original ?
SWE635

Post by SWE635 »

Haha... Yes, the control rod is dubious - that's for sure!
Not entirely certain as to why though. But, like I said earlier, I'm not sure as to why the central locking was disconnected either.
The parts that I've connected so far (trunk, fuel door and now the passenger side door) seem to be working just fine.

I've got a complete set of handles and cylinders, so everything will be as it was when it left the factory - just as soon as I get this old f*cker off! ;)

Oh... And there was a "C-clip" as well. That was easy enough getting off!
---
'89 635CSiA; Zinnoberrot