Taillight lens seals?

Post in this forum for topics relating to the exterior. This includes body, windows, and accessories

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

jacko

Taillight lens seals?

Post by jacko »

Is there an obtainable substitute for the seal that goes between the tail light lens and the tail light body? I have the originals, but they are getting nasty. They look like they started out with either a round or a square cross section. Probably either would work.
Jack
Arlington, Texas. USA

1989 635csi
Automatic
Sidrick

Re: Taillight lens seals?

Post by Sidrick »

jacko wrote:Is there an obtainable substitute for the seal that goes between the tail light lens and the tail light body? I have the originals, but they are getting nasty. They look like they started out with either a round or a square cross section. Probably either would work.
Got mine from https://www.fcpeuro.com last week.

Spent a not-so-small fortune with them recently and love them. They did decide to split my order of rear shoes/discs/pads/fitting kit into 3 different shipments though, when all are needed to do the job :lol:
jacko

Post by jacko »

Sidrick, thanks....I'll give them a call.
Jack
Arlington, Texas. USA

1989 635csi
Automatic
kahunafamily5

Post by kahunafamily5 »

Jack,
Did you source new seals? I have some moisture getting in one of my tail light assemblies so I too am in need of new seals. Let me know if you will and what part number. I have your exact year car here in Dallas area. I live in Celina.

Paul
MisterFixit

Lens seals

Post by MisterFixit »

These are available new from BMW and others. They are a round cross section, cemented in a loop, and tuck neatly into the groove in the outer edge of the chrome trim ring.

Part no is the same, left and right. 63 21 1 360 807.

They retail at around $23 each last time I bought a pair. You can guess what they are now, I never know. I can usually get them a few $ less, and they mail in a padded envelope, no weight at all.

Trick is to avoid overtightening the white plastic knobs in the trunk. May help to apply a bit of goo (vaseline?) to the groove and mating lip of the lens, to exclude moisture. You'll want to clean the gunk out of the groove before installing, of course.
"Be Seen, and Not Hurt!"
Lighting Upgrades for 2002, E3, E12, E21, E23, E24, E28, E30, E32, E36, E39 - front & back
Headlight and Tail Light upgrades for maximum visibility. Headlight protection to keep lights intact.
jacko

Post by jacko »

While at my local Home Depot, I picked up a pack of the round window screen welting and "small" closed cell foam window/doorseal. The foam has adhesive, but will require trimming. The welting is not as compressable. Will report back after I experiment. The foam tape was about $2.50 a roll.
Jack
Arlington, Texas. USA

1989 635csi
Automatic
jacko

Post by jacko »

Paul, the narrow foam tape from Home Depot works. Split it with a razor blade thru the paper backing. It's only about $2.50 for a roll so you can afford to do it until you get it right. Don't stretch the foam as you fit it. I didn't try the screen welting, but it should work but it will not compress as easily as the tape.

Let me know if you ever get around Arlington.

Jack
Jack
Arlington, Texas. USA

1989 635csi
Automatic