Sunroof cable/motor question

Post in this forum for topics relating to the exterior. This includes body, windows, and accessories

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Soperman

Sunroof cable/motor question

Post by Soperman »

I am in the process of cleaning and tidying the sunroof lining in my '85. Thus far I have removed the sunroof exterior panel and also the interior lining panel. What I now have are two cables, one left and one right, connected to the brackets at one end, hanging out of the front of the sunroof aperture. So far, so good.

At this stage I just pressed the sunroof switch to see if all was well, but only ONE cable wound in and out, when I was expecting them both to do so.

My question is, is this normal? Does one cable operate the tilt function and one the slide? Or should both cables be winding in and out simultaneously?

I should add that the entire mechanism was working perfectly before I started mucking around with it
m6dave

Post by m6dave »

They should both be winding, check where the motor bolts on, the cables both mesh with the gear on the motor/gearbox output. Three phillips head machine screws hold the unit on.
Soperman

Post by Soperman »

Thank you m6dave.

I did want to get this resolved asap, as the sun is shining in London right now, but it looks like I'm going to have to dedicate more time than I initially thought. I'll have to drop this for a few days as I'm off to the Goodwood Festival of Speed this morning. just a shame it wont be in the M635.