Repair or Replace

Post in this forum for topics relating to the exterior. This includes body, windows, and accessories

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

DV8OR

Repair or Replace

Post by DV8OR »

From a restoration and value stand point would it be better to repair a front fender that has some minor rust and maintain the VIN sticker or replace it with a different fender that has a different or no VIN sticker.
Or it does not matter since it is not a "concours" car?
sansouci
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sansouci »

Where on the fender is the VIN sticker? I had a small fender/bender years ago and the D/S fender was replaced with a DOT compliant part. I guess it was non-OEM but what did I know then? Not much, I guess.
--Ken
Sansouci
84 E24 633Csi Auto, Bronzit/PearlBeige 6997510
93 E32 740il M60 Auto, Alpenweis/Ultramarine
60 528i M30 5-speed Green/Beige (crushed)
71 240Z 4-speed White/Blue (rusty & sold)
65 396 Chevelle 4-speed, Marina Blue/Black (stolen)
DV8OR

Post by DV8OR »

sansouci wrote:Where on the fender is the VIN sticker? I had a small fender/bender years ago and the D/S fender was replaced with a DOT compliant part. I guess it was non-OEM but what did I know then? Not much, I guess.
--Ken
om my car (88 m6) it is on the the mounting ridge inside the engine compartment where the 7 or 8 main fender mount bolts are.
dwcains

Post by dwcains »

The VIN stickers came into being sometime in the mid-80's. My '84 325e didn't have them, my '85 635 CSi doesn't, but my '88 M3 did.

I wonder if BMW can supply a replacement sticker?
Dean
Lutz, FL

'85 635 CSi Euro #9402254
'87 Spider Veloce
'92 Spider Veloce
'08 350Z

DV8OR

Post by DV8OR »

dwcains wrote:The VIN stickers came into being sometime in the mid-80's. My '84 325e didn't have them, my '85 635 CSi doesn't, but my '88 M3 did.

I wonder if BMW can supply a replacement sticker?
I doubt they will. I think the purpose of these little vin stickers id to verify that the panels on the car are the one that came with the car, so you could state if it was a "matching numbers" car.

I could be wrong though.
dwcains

Post by dwcains »

I think the stickers are there to protect the parts from "chop shops" selling stolen parts, but who knows? They're certainly not difficult to remove, unlike VIN's etched into body glass, which a few cars have.

If BMW did sell them, they'd likely be ridiculously priced. When I bought my 635 about a year ago, I wanted a spare key, and the dealer asked $400. Got 2 on Amazon for under $10 (genuine, German-made) and spent another $5 to have them cut. BMW bullshit story was that the OEM keys were "special" and could only be cut with a laser.
Dean
Lutz, FL

'85 635 CSi Euro #9402254
'87 Spider Veloce
'92 Spider Veloce
'08 350Z

Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

dwcains wrote:.... BMW bullshit story was that the OEM keys were "special" and could only be cut with a laser.
yeah, and the laser would be driven by the monkeys flying out of that guys' butt.... :-k :shock: :-? :roll:

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Pod
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Repair or Replace

Post by Pod »

DV8OR wrote:From a restoration and value stand point would it be better to repair a front fender that has some minor rust and maintain the VIN sticker or replace it with a different fender that has a different or no VIN sticker.
If its only a minor repair, I would do that as :-

i) It is likely to be cheaper than fitting a new wing.
ii) It will keep your car's "numbers matching" originality.

Just my 2c :D
slofut

Post by slofut »

DV8OR wrote:From a restoration and value stand point would it be better to repair a front fender that has some minor rust and maintain the VIN sticker or replace it with a different fender that has a different or no VIN sticker.
How minor is the rust? Rusted through? If not can you access both sides of the panel where the rust is (wing off the car)? Careful sandblasting, use MCU rust coating on both sides then finish...
http://www.masterseriescoatings.com/ind ... ts/primer/
'87 635csi, 5sp man, dk blu on pearl beige
'88 635csi, auto, black on grey
'63 BMW Isetta
'75 XJ6C, 2dr, warm 350
'86 XJ6, th700r4
'75TR6
'64 Olds 88 conv
"68 T120 Bonneville
DV8OR

Post by DV8OR »

slofut wrote:
How minor is the rust? Rusted through? If not can you access both sides of the panel where the rust is (wing off the car)? Careful sandblasting, use MCU rust coating on both sides then finish...
3 spots of surface rust (doesn't not penetrate through) totaling about 3-4 square inches total but there is some pitting.
The reason I ask is I can pick up a non rusted similar year and same color one for around $350 but of course it wont have a matching VIN sticker
slofut

Post by slofut »

DV8OR wrote:
slofut wrote:
3 spots of surface rust (doesn't not penetrate through) totaling about 3-4 square inches total but there is some pitting.
The reason I ask is I can pick up a non rusted similar year and same color one for around $350 but of course it wont have a matching VIN sticker
'87 635csi, 5sp man, dk blu on pearl beige
'88 635csi, auto, black on grey
'63 BMW Isetta
'75 XJ6C, 2dr, warm 350
'86 XJ6, th700r4
'75TR6
'64 Olds 88 conv
"68 T120 Bonneville
Pod
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Pod »

DV8OR wrote:3 spots of surface rust (doesn't not penetrate through) totaling about 3-4 square inches total but there is some pitting.
May be a stupid question, but can the VIN sticker be transferred? I can see the advantages of bolting on a good wing without having to paint & repair!
hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by hornhospital »

Pod wrote: May be a stupid question, but can the VIN sticker be transferred? I can see the advantages of bolting on a good wing without having to paint & repair!
Dang-near impossible. You cannot get one off intact. The tag itself is fairly substantial, but BMW made sure the adhesive was much stronger than the tag itself. The tag will come apart before the adhesive turns loose.
Ken Kanne
'84 633CSi "Sylvia"; '85 635CSi "Katja";'85 325e "Hazel Ann"; '95 M3 "Ashlyn"
Pod
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Pod »

Gentle heat and a razor blade no good then?
hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by hornhospital »

Pod wrote:Gentle heat and a razor blade no good then?
Go ahead and try it. You'll see what I mean.
Ken Kanne
Pod
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Pod »

hornhospital wrote:
Pod wrote:Gentle heat and a razor blade no good then?
Go ahead and try it. You'll see what I mean.
Fortunately the UK authorities are not so paranoid as to require that each and every part of our cars are permanently marked/tagged. It certainly makes replacing parts an easier decision over here :wink:
hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by hornhospital »

Don't get the wrong idea. I wasn't trying to fake-over a VIN tag from a fender, but my daughter whacked a trash can 2 weeks into owning her E36, and rather than fix the fender again (it had been wrecked before I bought it, on that side, naturally) I bought a same-color used one in perfect condition and bolted it on. Before turning the crumpled one over to the junk man, I tried removing the tag, just because I'd heard how hard they were to remove intact. It was an ego thing, "sure, I can do it!"...... and the ego got shot down, big time. I totally failed to remove any of it without damage. #-o
Attachments
Dang it!.jpg
Dang it!.jpg (203.42 KiB) Viewed 6260 times
Ken Kanne