Tail Light Lens Question

Post in this forum for topics relating to the exterior. This includes body, windows, and accessories

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

joeg

Tail Light Lens Question

Post by joeg »

Are the Early Euro tail light lenses the same as the later/US ones?

I see 3 different part numbers:

63211368017/63211368016 (Euro)
63211368018/63211368015 (Euro w/ Fog light? - I have no idea what this means, they look the same)
63211361884/63211361883 (US)

Visually, they all look about the same to me. Does anyone know if there's an actual difference?

I'm trying to get some new ones for my 1980 635, but I want to stay authentic if there's a difference. I can't see any differences, but maybe I'm missing something.
GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Think they are all the same . . .

Post by GRNSHRK »

The US version may just say "DOT" in the mold somewhere, which might differentiate it from the Euro version :-k

As far as the Euro version with the rear fog light, I could see the tail light housing being different, again I thought all of the lenses were the same :-?

Euro models did have a rear fog light, check the switch on the dash to see if it pulls out to 2 poisitions, and not just one, like the US version [-o<

:mrgreen:
Bobbo
1980 633 CSi Cypress Green/Pearl Beige
2017 X5 M Sport Xdrive 35i Carbon Black/Ivory White
2005 330 Ci ZHP Cabrio Imola Red/Bone/Black
joeg

Re: Think they are all the same . . .

Post by joeg »

GRNSHRK wrote:The US version may just say "DOT" in the mold somewhere, which might differentiate it from the Euro version :-k

As far as the Euro version with the rear fog light, I could see the tail light housing being different, again I thought all of the lenses were the same :-?

Euro models did have a rear fog light, check the switch on the dash to see if it pulls out to 2 poisitions, and not just one, like the US version [-o<

ohhh, is that what that does? I was wondering why it had 2 positions. First one puts a green fog light icon on the dash, 2nd puts an orange one (or vice versa, i forget).

EDIT: I just looked at a good picture of the US ones and my current ones, i'm pretty sure they're the same. I found a good deal on good condition US lenses, i'm going to pull the trigger and see how it looks when it gets here. Maybe the part number refers to the bulb-holder as well and not just the plastic lens?
hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by hornhospital »

I believe the bulb holder IS the difference. The US version has the hole for the fog light socket blocked. The Euro version has a socket there for the rear fog, and the associated wiring connection to light it.
Ken Kanne
'84 633CSi "Sylvia"; '85 635CSi "Katja";'85 325e "Hazel Ann"; '95 M3 "Ashlyn"
MSGGrunt

Post by MSGGrunt »

Any pictures of the US vs Euro taillight housings? Over on my Mercedes forum the NA and Euro lights both have the rear fog location, just the US version comes with no socket. We add an additional brake light socket where the fog lights are on Euro cars to give us brighter brake lights.

There is a guy on eBay that sells a kit for the MB for $15 that includes the OEM sockets with pigtail, bulbs, connectors and instructions. Maybe something similar could work in the 635s?

I know the below picks are from a MB W126 chassis from the 80s but, I included them just as a visual comparison of what is done on these era cars and I would bet the same could be done on the US cars that came without the Euro fog lights.
Attachments
Added Brake Light #2.jpg
Added Brake Light #2.jpg (81.72 KiB) Viewed 4592 times
Added Brake Light #1.jpg
Added Brake Light #1.jpg (85.08 KiB) Viewed 4592 times
ron
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by ron »

They are ALWAYS rustier than you thought!!!!!!
'85 M #228
'87 M #367
'88 High line.
'10 X5
‘84 Alfasud 1.5 ti
MisterFixit

Euro rear lighting functions

Post by MisterFixit »

Hey Ron, Thanks for pointing to me....

No, there is no difference in the lenses for US and Euro lights, other than the DOT approval. The difference is totally in the reflector (black housing) and wiring.

Euro lights have a special shiny stamped steel insert in the upper inside corner (above the reverse light), where US cars have a brake light. In the Euros, it is very shiny, makes the rear fogs very bright. It is separated from the tail and brake lights by the dark area with all the wiring terminations to separate it visually. This distinguishes it from both of them.

And yes, I am still doing light upgrades for these cars - US and Euro. I will build you a set if you like, soon as I finish Mark's.

What upgrade?

US cars can get an extra tail and extra brake on each side.

Euro cars have the rear fog still work, plus get an extra tail, plus the rear fog lights as an extra brake when the fog lights are not in use.

Plus the restoration and high output bulbs, you know that part.

Doubles lighted area, triples output of brake and tail lights, and increases reliability of rear lights by making it nearly impossible to be dark on one side - both tail and brake lights are redundant.

Just trying to help.
"Be Seen, and Not Hurt!"
Lighting Upgrades for 2002, E3, E12, E21, E23, E24, E28, E30, E32, E36, E39 - front & back
Headlight and Tail Light upgrades for maximum visibility. Headlight protection to keep lights intact.
MisterFixit

Mercedes W126 rear light upgrades

Post by MisterFixit »

MSGGrunt wrote:... Over on my Mercedes forum the NA and Euro lights both have the rear fog location, just the US version comes with no socket. We add an additional brake light socket where the fog lights are on Euro cars to give us brighter brake lights.
Works on most Hella lights - BMW, Mercedes have lots of common parts.
There is a guy on eBay that sells a kit for the MB for $15 that includes the OEM sockets with pigtail, bulbs, connectors and instructions. Maybe something similar could work in the 635s?
Yes, it works well, but why stop at just one extra light? Tail lights need love, too!

I know the below picks are from a MB W126...[/quote]
It's a good start, but I do the same upgrade with these lights that I do with BMW. Adding a tail AND a brake has the same benefits, too - and applies to a range of chassis numbers.

> Double the lighted area;
> Triple the light output;
> Vastly more reliable, benefits of redundancy.

I'll shoot you a PM.
"Be Seen, and Not Hurt!"
Lighting Upgrades for 2002, E3, E12, E21, E23, E24, E28, E30, E32, E36, E39 - front & back
Headlight and Tail Light upgrades for maximum visibility. Headlight protection to keep lights intact.