Strut angle / position series 2

Post in this forum for topics relating to the exterior. This includes body, windows, and accessories

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

olympia57
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Strut angle / position series 2

Post by olympia57 »

TCALSS .. I'm having to reconsider fitting Lokari inner wing liners . I've spent too much time trying to get other car and truck liners to fit.
To recap I purchased a set for the series one E24 and when they arrived they were clearly for a non spoiler car and just did not fit .
I had to persuade Lokari that they did not fit my car showing the photos below but even then it took some time before they accepted them back as being incorrect.
Lokari are the sole distributor of these liners which are made by a Swedish company ,so they are unsure what differs between the two .
Lokari list these liners for series one and two and I'm wondering if the series two would be the one that was profiled to suit a spoilered car as I can see no other difference of the inner wing shape between the two.
The only other possibility of a difference would be if the suspension geometry of the series two car had the strut at a different angle although I'd think that that would be minimul and even then would not cause a problem due to the tolerences of the Lokari cut profile .
So does the strut angle/position differ between E12 and E28 chassis or indeed is there any other difference I'm missing in the inner wing area ?
Cheers
Don
1981 635 series 1
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

is that cut-out not there to allow the brake vent ducts (as fitted to early 635s with non-foglight spoilers, up to '82 IIRC..?) to have a chance of working still?

Can't I see the back of the duct through the hole, in your picture?

BTW the curved shape on the outside is perhaps meant to fit to the steel bumper valance used in pre 635 euro models, and was also used in all 628 models...? If you want the best fit on a 635 then I'd suggest trimming that part off, since there is nothing to fit it against. Maybe make a bracket to support the lower edge, itself mounted on the inner wing bracket?

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Da_Hose
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Da_Hose »

This thread inspired me to take a look at Lokari's web site. Looks like they only sell the plastic liner for the 6er anymore, but they do say you can still order them. It would be nice to have a pair of well fitted liners, but it would way suck to pay a couple hundred bucks for something that doesn't fit.

Jose
1987 M6 - My dream car
olympia57
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by olympia57 »

Rob ( wattsmonkey ) very kindly sent me some photos of the ones he has in his series two car and they clearly show the liner following the profile of the spoiler even down to having a seal around the bracket that adjoins the spoiler to the wing.
I hope you don't mind me showing the photo Rob ?
I agree with you Brucey that the liners that were supplied ( series one according to their order sheet ) seem to have been cut and shaped to suit a non spoiler car as per a 628 steel valance equipped car .
Rob's photos show a fit on his car significantly better than the ones that were supplied to me and more akin to the fit I want and would expect.
I've spent some time looking into Lokari liners and although Rob's is the only E24 I am aware of, many photos on the 'net show cars with excellent installations and more worthy of the concept.
Lokari list two versions for the E24 , series one and series two . I can only think that the series two version is shaped to suit the spoiler that was fitted to all series two cars ( and some series one too ) and that the choice between the two is down to spoiler and non spoiler car instead of series one and two and was probably lost in translation from Swedish to German to English.
And yes the cut out is for the plastic brake duct fitted on my series one car but that can either be added to or ignored on the later model liners .
Jose , I spoke to Lokari when placed the order for the liners back in January and they said that they only supply alluminium liners for the E24's and most classics , plastic liners are for modern cars and vans .
Series two liners will do the job methinks ...
Don
1981 635 series 1
wattsmonkey
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by wattsmonkey »

No problem at all, Don! I'm still a bit (too) evangelical about them, but the fact I put them in in 2008 and after 30,000 miles there's no corrosion evident points to a certain amount of protection to the wings.

I'm definitely getting a set for the M.

Cheers,

Rob
"Most of it necessary; all of it enjoyable." LJKS
'84 635CSi, dogleg...itbs and supercharger????? Eaton Mess