Antenna to fender mount - parts?

Post in this forum for topics relating to the exterior. This includes body, windows, and accessories

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Antenna to fender mount - parts?

Post by songzunhuang »

My car has a working antenna but the mount (rubber?) has disentigrated over the years and my antenna mast flops around the hole in the fender now. Also, water can get in the trunk since there's no seal now.

Where can I order a replacement mounting hardware/gasket that secures the antenna to the fender hole? Thanks.
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
Last 7 of VIN: 6997383
Ralph in Socal
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Ralph in Socal »

Scrap yard. Or wait and I can send you the parts in October.

Ralph
There is a very fine line between "Hobby" and Mental Illness.

85 635csi Zinno Auto
84 528i Euro
83 635 Euro Arktik
81 528i Kastanien 5-speed
88 528e Bronzit (Granpa Car)
86 535i Auto (For Sale)
81 633 csi (retired)
songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I can wait...

Post by songzunhuang »

Ralph in Socal wrote:Scrap yard. Or wait and I can send you the parts in October.

Ralph
If be glad to wait. I got so much to do on the car that I probably won't get to the radio and associated items until well past Sept. I really appreciate it. Do you have just the mounting part or will it be a bigger assembly?
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
Ralph in Socal
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Ralph in Socal »

Song, you will soon realize I have spares of spares. Evaluate what you need and I'll send it. Chrome or black!

Ralph

85 635csi Zinno Auto
84 528i Euro
83 635 Euro Arktik
86 535i Auto (For Sale)
81 633 csi (retired)
songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by songzunhuang »

Ralph in Socal wrote:Song, you will soon realize I have spares of spares. Evaluate what you need and I'll send it. Chrome or black!

Ralph
Haha, excellent Ralph! I wonder what the original part was like? I'm guessing it was just black. If it was a chrome part, it would t have been rubber and crumbled away right? When I saw the car, there was a crumbling rubber thing in place. When I wiggled it around to try and evaluate, the rubber just crumbled away and I was left with the antenna shaft clanking about in a hole in the rear fender.

What do you think? If I had a choice, I'd go for a chrome with a rubber gasket to seal. Seems to me that'll last longer.
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
Ralph in Socal
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Ralph in Socal »

Please post a pic Song. There are 3 parts on the exterior and an angled sleeve inside the trunk/fender. Is the inside part in place? It slips over the antenna tube and has a slight angle on top to match the angle of the bodywork.

Ralph

85 635csi Zinno Auto
84 528i Euro
83 635 Euro Arktik
86 535i Auto (For Sale)
81 633 csi (retired)
songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by songzunhuang »

Ralph in Socal wrote:Please post a pic Song. There are 3 parts on the exterior and an angled sleeve inside the trunk/fender. Is the inside part in place? It slips over the antenna tube and has a slight angle on top to match the angle of the bodywork.

Ralph
Sure thing! It's dark outside, but with the flash, I think you can see what I am dealing with. I think the angled sleeve you mentioned is there, but I am not sure how good the plastic is. I think it's part of what crumbled. Let me know what if these provide enough information.
Attachments
Closeup of inside portion where it looks like there is a broken plastic section.
Closeup of inside portion where it looks like there is a broken plastic section.
Antenna close.jpeg (74.61 KiB) Viewed 5666 times
I can see the black plastic angled piece. It looks like it's part of what crumbled and gave out.
I can see the black plastic angled piece. It looks like it's part of what crumbled and gave out.
Antenna inside.jpeg (77.33 KiB) Viewed 5670 times
The antenna just flops around the hole. There is nothing keeping it mounted. This is taken from the back of the car looking to the front.
The antenna just flops around the hole. There is nothing keeping it mounted. This is taken from the back of the car looking to the front.
Antenna outsie.jpeg (48.59 KiB) Viewed 5670 times
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
Ralph in Socal
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Ralph in Socal »

Looks to be an aftermarket antenna. I've never seen the ground strap piece like yours. Someone adapted that unit to your car with all those sleeves. One of the pieces for the exterior is stacked inside. You may have all the parts there already. It's just a matter of making a sleeve the correct length to put the antenna in the correct position.

You have a black (shadowline) antenna and most e24s came with chrome.

Ralph

EDIT: Could someone else please post a pic of a proper antenna mounted?

85 635csi Zinno Auto
84 528i Euro
83 635 Euro Arktik
86 535i Auto (For Sale)
81 633 csi (retired)
songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by songzunhuang »

Ralph in Socal wrote:Looks to be an aftermarket antenna. I've never seen the ground strap piece like yours. Someone adapted that unit to your car with all those sleeves. One of the pieces for the exterior is stacked inside. You may have all the parts there already. It's just a matter of making a sleeve the correct length to put the antenna in the correct position.

You have a black (shadowline) antenna and most e24s came with chrome.

Ralph

EDIT: Could someone else please post a pic of a proper antenna mounted?
Ralph, I did some searching around and it does seem like I have a factory unit. The plug locations and the brand (Hirschmann) all seem to be aligned. I really don't know about the ground strap. Perhaps there were some variations. If I could find a source for those mounting grommets, I'd be all set.
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
Ralph in Socal
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Ralph in Socal »

Song, you have the necessary parts. There are 2 angled pieces face-to-face inside the trunk. The black one belongs outside. Remove the nut (unscrew it) at the tip and take apart that stack the PO left. Reassemble in proper order and you can determine the length of the sleeve you need to make to have the unit in the correct position.

The black piece should have a rubber grommet to protect the paint

Ralph

85 635csi Zinno Auto
84 528i Euro
83 635 Euro Arktik
86 535i Auto (For Sale)
81 633 csi (retired)
songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by songzunhuang »

Ralph in Socal wrote:Song, you have the necessary parts. There are 2 angled pieces face-to-face inside the trunk. The black one belongs outside. Remove the nut (unscrew it) at the tip and take apart that stack the PO left. Reassemble in proper order and you can determine the length of the sleeve you need to make to have the unit in the correct position.

The black piece should have a rubber grommet to protect the paint

Ralph
Messed with this some more over the weekend. It's definitely broken and there are pieces missing. i also disassembled the telescoping portion and it's all jammed up. It's kinda bent. I ended up ordering another unit.
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi