Exterior door handle broke

Post in this forum for topics relating to the exterior. This includes body, windows, and accessories

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

crav4speed

Exterior door handle broke

Post by crav4speed »

So I've been having an issue with the driver exterior door handle opening the driver door and all of a sudden it stopped opening the door completely. I removed the door panel and found a metal u-shaped piece that was cracked. RealOEM calls it a "stopper" and is part #2 (51211959691) shown in the picture. The thing I'm concerned with is that part #3 (51211847767) is called a "cap" which looks to be something like the little plastic caps that go on the door latch and the part I removed from the door - pictured below - has a roller instead of the cap. If anyone is familiar with this part, has it been replaced with the new parts? RealOEM also has another part called a "stopper" (51211843859) which shows as ended.

GetBMWParts has the new parts but doesn't have a photo so I can't verify what I'll be buying.
Attachments
WP_20151005_17_03_21_Pro (2).jpg
WP_20151005_17_03_21_Pro (2).jpg (232.26 KiB) Viewed 12088 times
id=5384-USA-06-1988-E_Page_1.jpg
id=5384-USA-06-1988-E_Page_1.jpg (49.25 KiB) Viewed 12088 times
Bill
'88 635CSi
Ralph in Socal
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Ralph in Socal »

The part you have is pot metal and can not be repaired. New parts (BMW upgraded when the problem was discovered) are stamped steel and will last much longer. I have never seen the little rubber bumper on the end though. I have never installed the rubber bumper on any retrofits I have done.

Expect the passenger side to eventually have the same problem.

Ralph
There is a very fine line between "Hobby" and Mental Illness.

85 635csi Zinno Auto
84 528i Euro
83 635 Euro Arktik
81 528i Kastanien 5-speed
88 528e Bronzit (Granpa Car)
86 535i Auto (For Sale)
81 633 csi (retired)
nick88highline

Post by nick88highline »

The stopper consists of one part only which has a roller on the end and is made from pot metal and that is what you get if you order a new one from BMW now. The cap is not used on these so you don't need it.
Prior to 1984 (or possibly '85), the door "stoppers" were made from pressed steel and these do not break. I would try to get the pressed steel ones, although you'll have to get them from a breakers as they are no longer available from BMW. I replaced both my "stoppers" with pressed steel ones (driver's side broke and passenger side was cracked), although it was very hard to track them down, most people know nothing about them and get very confused when you tell them why you want them.
BMW 635CSiA (1988)
BMW i3 (2016)
Jeep Grand Cherokee V8 (2000)
Morris Minor 1000 (1968)
ron
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by ron »

This is a pressed steel item. I have 4 of each side so if you can't locate them Stateside let me know. As Ralph has mentioned, I have also never seen the cap fitted to them. The same cap fits the front door window slide assy. and I have never seen it fitted there either.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpar ... 1211847767

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpar ... 1211847767

They are ALWAYS rustier than you thought!!!!!!
'85 M #228
'87 M #367
'88 High line.
'10 X5
‘84 Alfasud 1.5 ti
crav4speed

Post by crav4speed »

wow! Excellent information! Thank you all very much for your replies. Why is it not surprising that BMW would replace a part with a lesser quality item?!?

The problem is, it's just becoming very annoying to have to open the passenger door and lean over to open the driver door and now I worry that the passenger door could develop the same issue sooner. If these parts are really that hard to track down, then Ron, since you're selling your beautiful Highline, maybe you might be able to sell a pair to me :) Besides, I'd rather give my hard earned cash to a respected member of this board then to someone else. I've sent you a pm
Bill
'88 635CSi
hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by hornhospital »

crav4speed wrote:Why is it not surprising that BMW would replace a part with a lesser quality item?!?
Bill, I think the stamped steel version is a substantial improvement. At least I've never known of one to break, whereas the pot metal (zinc) ones break frequently.
Ken Kanne
'84 633CSi "Sylvia"; '85 635CSi "Katja";'85 325e "Hazel Ann"; '95 M3 "Ashlyn"
crav4speed

Post by crav4speed »

hornhospital wrote:
crav4speed wrote:Why is it not surprising that BMW would replace a part with a lesser quality item?!?
Bill, I think the stamped steel version is a substantial improvement. At least I've never known of one to break, whereas the pot metal (zinc) ones break frequently.
The pot metal parts were the replacement for the stamped steel parts. As Nick mentioned, the stamped steel parts were discontinued in favor of the pot metal ones. Although, Ralph says the new ones are steel. Either way, I would much prefer the steel ones over the pot metal ones as per everyone's comments.
Bill
'88 635CSi
Ralph in Socal
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Ralph in Socal »

crav4speed wrote:
hornhospital wrote:
The pot metal parts were the replacement for the stamped steel parts. As Nick mentioned, the stamped steel parts were discontinued in favor of the pot metal ones. Although, Ralph says the new ones are steel. Either way, I would much prefer the steel ones over the pot metal ones as per everyone's comments.
Do not take my word for gospel truth. I could very well be mistaken but I do find the stamped steel units in the newer cars. I had to replace one in an 84 633 because it was pot metal.

Ralph

Edit: Pic below shows parts recently pulled from an 87 635. Stamped steel on the later cars??
Attachments
DSC09473.JPG
DSC09473.JPG (225.54 KiB) Viewed 11882 times
There is a very fine line between "Hobby" and Mental Illness.

85 635csi Zinno Auto
84 528i Euro
83 635 Euro Arktik
81 528i Kastanien 5-speed
88 528e Bronzit (Granpa Car)
86 535i Auto (For Sale)
81 633 csi (retired)
Stanleymanly

Re: Exterior door handle broke

Post by Stanleymanly »

Does anyone have a driver's side exterior door handle? The pot metal in mine broke and it is the only thing keeping me from getting my car back from the painter. So far I have ordered two from recyclers and they both came in broken (after each assured me they were fine) and I ordered a NOS one from EBay only to find that after it did not show up in a few days that the seller never had it. I will pay any reasonable price!
sharkfan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sharkfan »

Stanleymanly wrote:Does anyone have a driver's side exterior door handle? The pot metal in mine broke and it is the only thing keeping me from getting my car back from the painter. So far I have ordered two from recyclers and they both came in broken (after each assured me they were fine) and I ordered a NOS one from EBay only to find that after it did not show up in a few days that the seller never had it. I will pay any reasonable price!
It would really help if you gave out some very necessary information such as your location, the year of your car and whether you are after a chrome or shadowline handle.

Put the info in your profile so people can more readily help you and also stop asking the questions I have.
2001 Alpina B10 V8 Touring (1 of 12 rhd)
1997 Alpina B12 5.7 L (1 of 2 rhd)
1995 Alpina B10 4.6 Touring (1 of 1 rhd)
1985 BMW M635CSi (1 of 524 rhd)
1982 BMW 635CSiA (1 of 100's left from the 1000's made and still valiantly fighting against a rusty grave)
Candycj1

Post by Candycj1 »

Hoping Ron is still watching this thread and has the bits - the passenger side stopper on my 88 highline is missing entirely, any chance you still have one of the steels for that side and are willing to sell?

Cheers
James
ron
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by ron »

They are ALWAYS rustier than you thought!!!!!!
'85 M #228
'87 M #367
'88 High line.
'10 X5
‘84 Alfasud 1.5 ti
Candycj1

Post by Candycj1 »

Hi Ron

Its part 2 (the 'stopper') but specifically for the passenger side - i can't see on OEM which one is lefty and which is right? Also as per the earlier thread, i'd really want the pressed steel version for future proofing - all the online sellers i've seen have the pot metal version. Any chance you have the steel
one?

Thanks
Carlp336

Post by Carlp336 »

i may have these still will look this evening
.1977 H&B 630CSI - http://www.sidedraftsix.com.
Candycj1

Post by Candycj1 »

thanks - i should clarify 'passenger side' was referring to a UK RHD car!
Candycj1

Post by Candycj1 »

Just to post the happy ending on this thread, Ron sorted the spares for me and a bit of fiddling later (is there any easy job on these?) i can now open my doors from the outside. Seems a basic ask but very satisfying - think i'm winning, albeit *very* slowly...