Help Support Bigcoupe.com

Help with Part Number Very Thin Seals

Post in this forum for topics relating to the exterior. This includes body, windows, and accessories

Moderators: ron, bfons, GRNSHRK

bpoliakoff
Bigcoupe supporter

Re: Help with Part Number Very Thin Seals

Post by bpoliakoff » Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:10 am

I can have more of the front seals made if: a. the guy who extruded them for me is still around and b. if enough guys want them (10 pair). I solved the flocking issue by buying flocked tape that is major sticky. The rubber itself is made from modern day compounds and is 100% profiled as original as the die was copied from an original piece and matches the cross section exactly Years ago when I did this, I was selling them for $150 the pair shipped, which was less than 1/2 of what it would cost to buy the complete molding from BMW. I sold somewhere around 50 sets and only had one complaint. When I offered to refund his money, he said to forget it. Go figure!
81 Euro 635 M90 with motronic. Currently under a complete nut and bolt restoration. Pictures at
flickr.com/photos/bertsphotos.

rhanley 635csi89
Bigcoupe Contributor

Post by rhanley 635csi89 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:47 pm

Bert, Does the word "pair" refers to the doors only? If your source is willing, is it possible to have the dye made for the rear window pieces as well?
Therefore, 2 pair, 4 pieces. Supply the flock tape as well would make a nice package. I'm sure every 6 needs them. Roger
89 635CSiA (11/88 build)
AlpineWeiss II (218)/Natur(0200)
87 L6 635CSI Sold
87 MB 560SL

sansouci
Bigcoupe supporter

Post by sansouci » Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:37 pm

bpoliakoff wrote:I can have more of the front seals made if: a. the guy who extruded them for me is still around and b. if enough guys want them (10 pair). I solved the flocking issue by buying flocked tape that is major sticky. The rubber itself is made from modern day compounds and is 100% profiled as original as the die was copied from an original piece and matches the cross section exactly Years ago when I did this, I was selling them for $150 the pair shipped, which was less than 1/2 of what it would cost to buy the complete molding from BMW. I sold somewhere around 50 sets and only had one complaint. When I offered to refund his money, he said to forget it. Go figure!
Bert,
Does this include the new chrome/aluminum molding that the rubber fits into or is attached to?
Sansouci
84 E24 633Csi Auto, Bronzit/PearlBeige 6997510
93 E32 740il M60 Auto, Alpenweis/Ultramarine
60 528i M30 5-speed Green/Beige (crushed)
71 240Z 4-speed White/Blue (rusty & sold)
65 396 Chevelle 4-speed, Marina Blue/Black (stolen)

bpoliakoff
Bigcoupe supporter

Post by bpoliakoff » Fri May 27, 2016 12:35 am

All, the ones I had made were die cut. The die was formed from an original and was dead nuts on. The problem was the flocking on the back which I solved by getting/using very stickey flocked tape. They then looked as the originals. If enough guys stepped up and if my cutter is still around, I probably can have moree made. They would run $175 per pair including the flocking, plus postage. They would be a 4’ section for each side The only other way is to buy new moldings which come with the rubber installed. I believe they are still available at over $500 the pair.
81 Euro 635 M90 with motronic. Currently under a complete nut and bolt restoration. Pictures at
flickr.com/photos/bertsphotos.

635csiSyd
Bigcoupe supporter

Post by 635csiSyd » Sat May 28, 2016 9:48 am

I received a reply from a supplier here in Australia,
Unfortunately the seals /weatherstrip moulds he shows aren't right. I think they could be made to fit but it would be a bit of stuffing around also the standard seal does not have a metal insert in case anyone was wondering, I have attached the dimensional drawing of the seals available and some cross sectional photos against a ruler of the standard front and rear seal.
I think the only option would be to get "someone" to make them, that incurs a cost (as yet unknown and probably a minimum quantity per profile) and it would be nice to know how many would genuinely stump up the money and want a set as original. I'd also be happy to do a how to on changing them out.
It's not as difficult as I thought it might be to remove the originals without damaging the aluminium belt moulds ,just in case it was I invested in a second set today to practice on ,that's how I got the cross sections ;)
216 014 (002).jpg
216 014 (002).jpg (21.34 KiB) Viewed 941 times

216 033 (002).jpg
216 033 (002).jpg (21.88 KiB) Viewed 941 times
IMG_3489.JPG
IMG_3489.JPG (1.38 MiB) Viewed 941 times

Anyway I'm going to make some enquirys about costs and quantities , you guys can chat amongst yourselves and see who would be starters for manufactured sets
7/86 E24 635 manual RHD
Royal Blue/Pearl Beige