Paint or wrap? And should I get this spoiler?

Post in this forum for topics relating to the exterior. This includes body, windows, and accessories

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

smashervt

Paint or wrap? And should I get this spoiler?

Post by smashervt »

Hey guys. So The front half of my car has a really bad paint job done that is sort of blue ish not black like the original and is peeling and bubbling. I was wondering if it is better to wrap the car than paint it? What is your opinions on this? And im looking for a front spoiler for my car as I do not have one. Guy is selling it for $200(CAD) but it has two cracks. Is it worth it to buy and fix it or is it a lost cause?

http://imgur.com/a/fBRUK
dwcains

Post by dwcains »

I can't really offer much advice about the spoiler, as it's tough for me to tell how bad the damage actually is. Nor do I know how much talent you've got for such repairs. I can tell you, though, that vinyl wrapping does nothing to hide surface defects, and if the surface isn't glassy-smooth, you're going to see it through the wrap and have adherence issues. A good shop will warn you about these issues after seeing your car.
Dean
Lutz, FL

'85 635 CSi Euro #9402254
'87 Spider Veloce
'92 Spider Veloce
'08 350Z

smashervt

Post by smashervt »

I was thinking of using epoxy and bog to fix the cracks and then repaint the bumper to my cars colour. Also What if I was to sand don the parts that are bubbling?
dwcains

Post by dwcains »

I think the best way to,look at it is that if you wouldn't paint over a surface, you shouldn't wrap it, either. But, take it to a shop and get their advice for your particular situation. Also, you may not know, a complete body wrap isn't cheap, and can easily be a few thousand $. Older cars require more labor just because of the way they're put together and all the things you need to pull off to get to all the edges. It would probably take less than half the labor hours to wrap my 350Z as it would my 635. I'd get some professional,advice before finalizing any plans.
Dean
Lutz, FL

'85 635 CSi Euro #9402254
'87 Spider Veloce
'92 Spider Veloce
'08 350Z

Pod
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Pod »

Paint it.
smashervt

Post by smashervt »

It was 15 celcius today so I clay barred, polished and waxed my car. Paint looks better than it ever did. I guess I will save up over the winter for a paint job.