Euro bumper compatibility

Post in this forum for topics relating to the exterior. This includes body, windows, and accessories

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Euro bumper compatibility

Post by GRNSHRK »

Gents, curious if anyone knows what it takes to install a series II "wraparound" type rear Euro pumper onto a series I Euro model :-k

I realize that installing one of these onto a US version 6er requires filling of a few holes on each side, but is there anything similar required on Euro cars [-o<

Requiring filling of holes and paint work would be the main issue here, actually avoiding it is the concern [-X

TIA :wink:

:mrgreen:
Bobbo
1980 633 CSi Cypress Green/Pearl Beige
2017 X5 M Sport Xdrive 35i Carbon Black/Ivory White
2005 330 Ci ZHP Cabrio Imola Red/Bone/Black
Ralph in Socal
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Ralph in Socal »

Hey Bobbo. My knowledge is limited but the major differences are that the early euro rear has the lower valance as part of the bumper assembly. See pic below. The later wrap around bumper has no valance included and therefor requires the car to have the valance added (this is probably the biggest drawback) by welding in sheetmetal custom made to mock the euro valance or finding the rear section of a euro car to install to yours.

I had a euro rear section years ago but the damage to MaskedMans (Phillips) car required it so he has it now.

Ralph

EDIT: I also sold an aftermarket fibergalss rear valance to someone back east as he planned on using the fiberglass valance instead of welding in a metal one.
Attachments
Noticed the lower valance is attached to the bumper.
Noticed the lower valance is attached to the bumper.
Early Euro Rear Bumper.JPG (263.06 KiB) Viewed 15982 times
There is a very fine line between "Hobby" and Mental Illness.

85 635csi Zinno Auto
84 528i Euro
83 635 Euro Arktik
81 528i Kastanien 5-speed
88 528e Bronzit (Granpa Car)
86 535i Auto (For Sale)
81 633 csi (retired)
tschultz

Post by tschultz »

I am sure you have seen my project 633 with a US spec car converted to Series I euro. Not sure if that helps any, but I have a few photos of the conversion and can detail what I did.

Obviously the rear bumper is the main difference between my conversion, but I think you knew that.
http://www.Drive4Corners.com
'79 635CSi Revival
'80 635CSi
'83 633CSi Callaway Turbo continued as 1988 535is Turbo
SOLD: '81 635CSi/A
GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Thanks gents, but more info requested . . .

Post by GRNSHRK »

Ralph, I would likely use the same type of fiberglass rear skirt/valance that I currently have on my 6er, like the one you sold off, so stock Euro valance issue, well, wouldn't be an issue :-k

Tom, yes, I have followed your thread, and you installed a series I Euro rear bumper onto a US car, and the holes on each side are still visible, from what I can tell :roll:

What I am trying to find out is what it would takes to install a series II Euro wraparound type bumper onto a Euro series I 6er. I know that the 3 holes on each side won't be there to worry about having to fill and paint over, but is there anything else, other than bolting up :-?

Thanks again :lol:

Bobbo
Ralph in Socal
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Ralph in Socal »

You will actually need the most forward hole as the later euro bumper has a screw that secures each end to the body. I can't remember if it's inside the trunk or underneath in the wheelwell. The other 2 will need to be plugged somehow. They may be obscured by the bumper once installed.

I'll ask Phillip if he can take a pic of that rear section for clarification on what else you may need. I don't think the US rear section has the 4 holes in the body to mount the euro bumper.

Ralph
There is a very fine line between "Hobby" and Mental Illness.

85 635csi Zinno Auto
84 528i Euro
83 635 Euro Arktik
81 528i Kastanien 5-speed
88 528e Bronzit (Granpa Car)
86 535i Auto (For Sale)
81 633 csi (retired)
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

IIRC there are several issues

1) the side holes. E24/2 bumper uses a forward mount that comes through in the rear of the wheel well, behind the steel 'mudflap' shield.

2) the valance; if you bolt up the E24/2 centre section to an E24/1, there is a big piece missing underneath. The /2 centre section is light-built and you can't attach a valance to it, it is way too flimsy for that. To make it 'right' you would need a valance attached to the body, not the bumper.

3) The trim; there is a load of plastic trim above the E24/2 bumper, because the E24/1 bumper comes higher up on the body, there'd be a gap otherwise.

4) the body mountings. E24/1 won't have holes in the right place to mount the bumper centre section

5) the side trim; I'm not 100% sure that the part of the body (above the bumper line) that is covered by the 'plastic concertinas' in E24/1 is the same in E24/2.

You can see the E24/1 bumper here

http://2009.bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/ ... mper_rear/

E24/2 here

http://2009.bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/ ... er_rear-2/

E24/2 above bumper trim here

http://2009.bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/ ... er_panels/

If you fit one of these

http://2009.bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/ ... m_technic/

then the 'valance problem' goes away, but you are left with a few other issues. The look isn't for everyone....

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Wow, not trivial indeed . . .

Post by GRNSHRK »

Thanks Brucey, clearly not as simple as I was envisioning :(

I was aware of the required trim bits for the E24/2, but it appears that it would be rather difficult to overcome all of the mounting hole issues [-X

Just thinking ahead, really not "planning" anything right now, but I'd love to have an early Euro again one of these days. It's just that the appearance of the E24/1 "shorty" bumper doesn't appeal to me like the E24/2 wraparound type does, which just looks "right" IMHO :-?

Almost seems that one would need to have the car and parts available, just to see what it would take to get it sorted :roll:

Thanks again all =D>

Bobbo
Sechserreihe

Re: Euro bumper compatibility

Post by Sechserreihe »

Hi there,
I've been reading through some of these posts regarding a rear Euro bumper conversion as I'm about to do one on my car. What I haven't seen is someone mention anything about the lip that extends on early E12 cars (mine's a 1980). How have you guys tackled this issue? Cut it off cleanly or bend it back 180 degrees to avoid having a cut edge right above the bumper?

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks,

Mark
Attachments
1126161123.jpg
1126161123.jpg (871.92 KiB) Viewed 15396 times
tschultz

Post by tschultz »

I mounted flush up to it. I have seen some bent down but the bending doesn't look good. I imagine you could grind it off, but again you might notice the cut line not being smooth/straight.
Here's mine next to the true euro:

For me, it sort of fit with the rough condition of the paint
http://www.Drive4Corners.com
'79 635CSi Revival
'80 635CSi
'83 633CSi Callaway Turbo continued as 1988 535is Turbo
SOLD: '81 635CSi/A
dwcains

Post by dwcains »

Not sure if this helps, but this is my '85 Euro in the shop with all the rear trim stripped:

Dean
Lutz, FL

'85 635 CSi Euro #9402254
'87 Spider Veloce
'92 Spider Veloce
'08 350Z

bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bpoliakoff »

My very original 81 euro has the exhaust cut out off center to the left. When the tailpipes emerge from under the car at that point on the valence, they are noticeably canted to the left rather than dead center. I am surprised this has not been mentioned
81 Euro 635 M90 with motronic. Currently under a complete nut and bolt restoration. Pictures at
flickr.com/photos/bertsphotos.
dwcains

Post by dwcains »

Never noticed that. Is the spare wheel well smaller in the E12-based cars?
Dean
Lutz, FL

'85 635 CSi Euro #9402254
'87 Spider Veloce
'92 Spider Veloce
'08 350Z

shabazz1987

Post by shabazz1987 »

Sechserreihe wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2016 4:35 pm Hi there,
I've been reading through some of these posts regarding a rear Euro bumper conversion as I'm about to do one on my car. What I haven't seen is someone mention anything about the lip that extends on early E12 cars (mine's a 1980). How have you guys tackled this issue? Cut it off cleanly or bend it back 180 degrees to avoid having a cut edge right above the bumper?

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks,

Mark
I’m curious, had anyone else approached this problem? I just got photos back from the body shop, my car is almost finished being painted, and I zoomed in closely and can see they still have the metal lip on there...

Sechserreihe

Post by Sechserreihe »

Hi there. Looks like you may have a little problem on your hands now that the car has been painted. That tab needs to come off. I cut mine off completely and then carefully filed down the cut with a good quality, wide metal file to make it look completely stock. I just followed the contour of the panel and it came out great. You need to treat that area with a good quality rust inhibitor / self-etching primer to make sure you never have a problem with corrosion along that edge. I can send you some pix. I've got them somewhere.

Depending if your car is still at the paint / body shop, you may be able to have them cut it off and prep it for paint while it's still there.

Hope that helps.

Mark
shabazz1987

Post by shabazz1987 »

Sechserreihe wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:16 pm Hi there. Looks like you may have a little problem on your hands now that the car has been painted. That tab needs to come off. I cut mine off completely and then carefully filed down the cut with a good quality, wide metal file to make it look completely stock. I just followed the contour of the panel and it came out great. You need to treat that area with a good quality rust inhibitor / self-etching primer to make sure you never have a problem with corrosion along that edge. I can send you some pix. I've got them somewhere.

Depending if your car is still at the paint / body shop, you may be able to have them cut it off and prep it for paint while it's still there.

Hope that helps.

Mark
That helps a ton, thank you for such a quick reply Mark. I just called the shop and they will be taking care of it. Super nice response on their end too, they understand. I’ve sent them this link as reference. 8)
gug

Post by gug »

shabazz1987 I noticed you are in New York. Do you mind sharing what shop is painted your 6?