Fitting Euro bumper to US-spec car, '86 635

Post in this forum for topics relating to the exterior. This includes body, windows, and accessories

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Zack01GC

Fitting Euro bumper to US-spec car, '86 635

Post by Zack01GC »

Well, I'm sure it has been covered MANY times, and I probably knew the answer a few years ago when I had my last E24. I recall reading threads when I owned that car (2008-2012), but after revisiting those threads on various sites, all of the picture links are now defunct and the information is vague.

I have acquired a Euro bumper and valence as a part of a whole lot of E24 parts I purchased out of a garage of a house that was being renovated nearby where I live (i'll spare those who don't care to read the entire story, but if you want to hear it, feel free to Private Message me).

Anyway, I want to refinish the valence and use the assembly on my US-spec car. My problem is that I am not sure how it mounts. I know the US bumper shocks have to be removed, but the details are hazy beyond that. It seems as if there are brackets I need in addition to the ones on the back of the Euro bumper, that perhaps are bolted to the frame rails, but I can't get the part numbers to show up on the diagram on RealOEM for some reason.

I have attached a picture of what I do have. I believe it is for an E28-based (series 2) car, 82-87. I also need some insight as to whether I can install my fog lights from the US valence into the Euro valence without issue.

I am posting all of these questions as I have placed the vehicle in storage for the winter and have limited access to it to explore for myself (disassemble) since it is in (buried) in a friends garage out of which he works... about 10 miles from where I live. (My Euro bumper assembly is in his basement, much easier to access than the vehicle itself).

What I have:

And a photo of where she sleeps until springtime for reference

Thanks.
1986 635CSi - Diamantschwarz on Pearlbeige (Needs manual transmission swap)
2001 330ci - Titansilber on Grau
Previously:
1984 BMW 633CSi - Schwarz on Cherry Leder
1984 733i - Saphirblau on Pacificblau
ladledip

Re: Fitting Euro bumper to US-spec car, '86 635

Post by ladledip »

I feel your pain 4 years later, missing pics and dead ends with old threads. How did you end up?