Painting Engine Parts

Post in this forum for topics relating to the exterior. This includes body, windows, and accessories

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

sansouci
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Painting Engine Parts

Post by sansouci »

As part of my clean up, I want to paint some of the misc parts, particularly the two steel supports that hold the various sensor connectors on top of the engine. It was originally a gray. While I could go with powder coating (which I may do with the valve cover in black with clear relief on the ribs and logo), what rattle can color works best? I will also likely do the brake calipers.

I also need to paint the brake thingy that the accumulator hangs on. It would be a black gloss. The sloshing hydraulic fluid just dissolved the old paint.The steering universal was painted black gloss so that needs a re-coat, too.

Thanks,
Ken
Sansouci
84 E24 633Csi Auto, Bronzit/PearlBeige 6997510
93 E32 740il M60 Auto, Alpenweis/Ultramarine
60 528i M30 5-speed Green/Beige (crushed)
71 240Z 4-speed White/Blue (rusty & sold)
65 396 Chevelle 4-speed, Marina Blue/Black (stolen)
dwcains

Re: Painting Engine Parts

Post by dwcains »

I like the paints from the Eastwood Company. They have one that looks like freshly cast, or bead-blast, aluminum, and another that looks like cast iron. Both are a semi-matte neutral silver-gray, but the latter is a bit darker. Also, checkout the stuff from Rub 'n Buff. I used it to "restore" my hydraulic reservoir last Summer, and it still looks great. Working on the hood latches and other little hardware bits right now, and will post some pics later. I also have a plating kit from Caswell I may fire up this week on some nuts ant bolts.

Rub 'n Buf is messy to use, so wear gloves and plan on discarding any rags you use for application and the final buff. It really works great, though. I'm also repainting the battery try this afternoon, and here's how the battery hold-down bolt came out with the silver Rub 'n Buf:

Dean
Lutz, FL

'85 635 CSi Euro #9402254
'87 Spider Veloce
'92 Spider Veloce
'08 350Z

dwcains

Re: Painting Engine Parts

Post by dwcains »

Here's a before/after on the hood latches:

Dean
Lutz, FL