1980 635csi Euro, rear bumper removal, help please

Post in this forum for topics relating to the exterior. This includes body, windows, and accessories

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

johny509

1980 635csi Euro, rear bumper removal, help please

Post by johny509 »

Hello everyone.

This is my first post here and I am, as of four months ago, the proud owner of of a 1980 635csi euro speed car.

I've been learning all about the car over the past few months, mainly by reading posts online and one library book that went over the history of BMW's.

The car I have is in very nice condition both cosmetically and mechanically, but I am starting to address a few little issues that have been bugging me.

It looks like someone slowly backed into a pole or something because one side of the back bumper is about 1cm further in than the other. There isn't any damage to the rubber on the outside of the bumper. I've looked at it from under the car as well as removing the carpeting in the trunk in an attempt to find how to unbolt the bumper but didn't find anything. There are bolts visible when looking under the car but I can't get a wrench on them.

After looking at the price of parts and their availability, I'm treating working on this car like I'm working on an archeological dig. [-o<

Also, is it necessary to remove the rear seats in order to remove the side panels to get to the rear window motor?

Thank you in advance and I look forward to expanding my knowledge and sharing my 635 experiences.
baders
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: 1980 635csi Euro, rear bumper removal, help please

Post by baders »

Welcome Johny. I'm far from an expert on trims but Ralph or someone will be along shortly :D
1986 635csi LOCUTUS / Arktis Blau Metallic / Pearl Beige / S38B36/ Close ratio dogleg 5sp
2002 E46 M3 / Topaz Blau Metallic / Black Nappa / 6 speed SMG software tuned / Bilstein PSS10 Coilovers / CMP RACP reinforcement
Ralph in Socal
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Ralph in Socal »

baders wrote:Welcome Johny. I'm far from an expert on trims but Ralph or someone will be along shortly :D
PIMP!!

The rear euro bumper is attached with 2 nuts on each side and are located underneath, not in the trunk. The studs protrude from the bumper mount in through the body and are secured by the nuts. The nuts can get rusted to the studs so take caution and use penetrating oil prior to attempting to remove. Box end wrenches did the job for me and I did break one stud on a recent removal.

The later extended euro bumper also has a screw on each end to secure the ends to the body. Memory is currently lacking as to whether they are in the trunk or underneath as well. Good luck.

Ralph

Just kidding Paul!!
There is a very fine line between "Hobby" and Mental Illness.

85 635csi Zinno Auto
84 528i Euro
83 635 Euro Arktik
81 528i Kastanien 5-speed
88 528e Bronzit (Granpa Car)
86 535i Auto (For Sale)
81 633 csi (retired)
635csiSyd

Post by 635csiSyd »

As above, they do have a nut inside the rear guards in each corner and 4 nuts on studs up inside the valance at the rear 2 of them on the right hand side are semi obscured by the fuel tank you don't need to remove the plastic trim above the bar to remove the bar
7/86 E24 635 manual RHD
Royal Blue/Pearl Beige
olympia57
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by olympia57 »

If your car is as mine then there are six fixings all accessed from underneath .
The upper four are 13mm head /8mm shank bolts that screw into captive nuts attached to the integral brackets of the bumper.
The lower corners are retained by a similar 13mm/8mm nut and bolt that passes through a tab on the rear quarter and similar on the rear bumper lower valance .
As said the one of the two RH bolts is awkward to get at due to the close proximity of the fuel tank , a crank head ratchet ring spanner will do it though . Great advice to thoroughly soak these bolts with penetrating oil for several days ( NOT WD40 ! ) :roll:
Word of warning . It's a heavy beast so get someone to hold it when it is released .

Re the rear side window motors .
You have to remove the rear seats to get at the retaining screws for the side panel.
Simple job though , two screws under the front of the seats hidden by flaps in the carpet . Arc the seats up and they will detach from the bracket on the rear bulkhead.
The side panels are held by two visible screws at the bottom and slotted into the underside of the top trim section. Remember to prise out the window switch and disconnect the wiring plug first .
Don
Last edited by olympia57 on Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
1981 635 series 1
baders
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by baders »

Hey I take my pimping work very seriously. Just look at the valuable information it has generated !
1986 635csi LOCUTUS / Arktis Blau Metallic / Pearl Beige / S38B36/ Close ratio dogleg 5sp
2002 E46 M3 / Topaz Blau Metallic / Black Nappa / 6 speed SMG software tuned / Bilstein PSS10 Coilovers / CMP RACP reinforcement
johny509

Post by johny509 »

Thanks a million guys!
rhanley 635csi89
Bigcoupe Contributor
Bigcoupe Contributor

Post by rhanley 635csi89 »

Hi Johny, the window motors on these car last, you may want to check the window switches, they are inter changeable. The contacts in the switch become oxide, I simply sprayed Deoxit into the switches, worked the switches for 30 seconds or so, applied compressed air to clean out residue, reinstalled and all was fixed. There are threads here that will give you more of a complete repair (take apart and clean) of the switches. All the window motors should have new grease applied.
Dioxit works well to clean your fuse box contacts, I also replaced all the fuses with new, just in case.
Every electrical contact is subject to oxidation on these cars. As standard maintenance every time I have a electrical disconnect, I clean the contacts with Dioxit and then add Dielectric grease. I'm there, may as well, just in case all apply.
Enjoy you dig.
Roger
89 635CSiA (11/88 build)
AlpineWeiss II (218)/Natur(0200)
87 L6 635CSI Sold
87 MB 560SL Sold
johny509

Post by johny509 »

Thanks again for the help. It took about an hour of cramped hands and dirt in my eyes but I got the rear bumper removed.

A tip for the next guy: if you remove the two outer bolts first, it will allow you to pull gently outward on the valance, giving you more room to get a wrench on the four main bolts.

I'm going to make the assumption that the gross steel bar and even grosser welds were part of the federalization process, (see pix). I'm thinking of removing it from the main bumper and then taking it to a shop and have them blow torch the thing off (or maybe a hacksaw)...its probably 20 lbs. or so and don't think its going to do much in a crash. Thoughts?

I will get pictures of the car up soon. Enjoy!
Attachments
DSC_0047.JPG
DSC_0047.JPG (707.13 KiB) Viewed 6601 times
DSC_0046.JPG
DSC_0046.JPG (591.11 KiB) Viewed 6601 times
DSC_0045.JPG
DSC_0045.JPG (644.31 KiB) Viewed 6601 times
DSC_0044.JPG
DSC_0044.JPG (826.24 KiB) Viewed 6601 times
tschultz

Post by tschultz »

Pretty standard for federalization process as far as I know. The one on my car certainly isn't 20 lbs.

Totally your call!
http://www.Drive4Corners.com
'79 635CSi Revival
'80 635CSi
'83 633CSi Callaway Turbo continued as 1988 535is Turbo
SOLD: '81 635CSi/A
johny509

Post by johny509 »

Welp, you can see in the above picture the wrinkled sheet metal on the left side that the bumper mounts to. I was pretty surprised the relatively heavy bumper was mounted to such light gauge metal...I'll give BMW the benefit of doubt and call it a rudimentary crumple zone!

I was able to take a scrap piece of steel bar, position it on the outside and use a large c-clamp to push a lot of the wrinkles out and get the mounting bolt holes back in their proper position. I'm going to replace all the bolts and spray any exposed metal with a rust inhibitor.

There is a metal fuel vent line that runs from the expansion tank in the right side of the trunk, down and then around the back side of the spare tire well and then up and forward. Can some please tell me where this terminates? I haven't found a diagram yet and don't have the car lifted to have a look see.

Once I get this project done, I am going to re-wire one of the tail lights and then replace all of the fuel lines.

Oh, and one more question if I may, is the sending unit in the tank also a "pre-pump" or is it only a sending unit (1980 635 Euro).
olympia57
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by olympia57 »

The vent line on mine terminates above the tow ring on the spare wheel well . It has a dedicated bracket for the cute little rubber cone on the end of the vent pipe to sit into.
My '81 has no in tank pump , only the wonderfully named " immersed tube level indicator " fitted with low level contact .
Don
1981 635 series 1
Ralph in Socal
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Ralph in Socal »

Look at how many connectors go to the sending unit. The 3-wire connector is for the fuel level while an additional 2-wire connector is for the intank pump.

Euro sending unit is typically a bayonet mount while the US (with the intank pump) has 2 sets of mounting nuts/bolts - 4 small nuts for the fuel level sending unit and 6 small bolts for the intank pump assembly.

Ralph
Last edited by Ralph in Socal on Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
There is a very fine line between "Hobby" and Mental Illness.

85 635csi Zinno Auto
84 528i Euro
83 635 Euro Arktik
81 528i Kastanien 5-speed
88 528e Bronzit (Granpa Car)
86 535i Auto (For Sale)
81 633 csi (retired)
Alpinacsi

Post by Alpinacsi »

The rear bumper brackets are not expensive and there was a seller on ebay recently that had several NOS ones available. Replacement might save you some hassles with cutting and welding.

During federalization: factory vent that terminated in the wheel arch area was extend and routed to the engine bay. It then terminated into a carbon canister.

Your euro model should only have a sending unit in the tank and have only the main pump mounted external on the right side.
Alpina B9 coupe (Alpinweiss)
Alpina B9 sedan (Alpinweiss)
Alpina B6 clone in process (Alpinweiss)
Mini S (had to go: it was Electric Blue)
Rover Disco 1 (Alpine White)