Found a great, low cost car cover

Post in this forum for topics relating to the exterior. This includes body, windows, and accessories

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Da_Hose
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Found a great, low cost car cover

Post by Da_Hose »

Hey everyone! I regularly see people post about wanting a good fitting car cover and I just bought one that is GREAT!

The cover is a Rain-X brand and I got it at Walmart. The size L says it fits cars up to 170", and it really does fit a 6er well. Not only is the cover the right size, it also has additional velcro straps sewn-in at the corners so it won't blow off even with high winds. There is an additional cinch strap that goes under the middle of the car. When you are not using that strap, there are pockets integrated into the cover and you can tuck the ends in to protect your finish.

The cover itself is made from outdoor rated, water-proof fabric and it carries a 10-year warranty. I can't find the size L on the Walmart site, but you can get them from Amazon. I notice that the cover is not listed on the Rain-X web site. I don't know if that is a bad sign, but the cover fits great and is a really good value with the 10-year warranty. I figure the worst case is that if it's not made in a couple years, the parent company will need to kick down some cash so I can buy a new one. In the mean time, I have a great fitting cover.

Jose
1987 M6 - My dream car
guido

Re: Found a great, low cost car cover

Post by guido »

Hi Da_Hose, cover sounds great, mind me asking what it cost, $ wise I guess? And any pics?

I've now bought 3 of these 'perfect stretch' covers from Car-E-Cover (website below) can very much recommend them, for fit, feel and cost. XL for the 6er.
At 62€ they're by far cheaper than other covers I've seen from for example Hamiltons Classic, costing for an equivalent cover approx £150...
Shipping within Europe is good, can't say if they deliver to the US though.

http://www.car-e-cover.de/car-cover-nac ... /index.htm
guido

Post by guido »

Sorry forgot to say, Perfect Stetch is for indoor use. But they do do outdoor covers also, although I can't vouch for how they are.
GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I wound up buying one from Empire . . .

Post by GRNSHRK »

...as they were advertising in the Digital Roundel for something like 45% off their "regular" prices, so I went with their "Titan5" material :-?

Claims to be waterproof yet breathable, but there is little chance that I will ever be able to verify that [-X

Also appears to be more of a general fit type cover and not a custom fit design, as it doesn't "quite" fit the lovely profile of the 6 :-({|=

One other oddity, it comes in a bag that's actually attached to the cover :shock:

WTF is up with that, I have no idea #-o

But like I said, it was cheap (inexpensive) at around $130 and change, something like that, and my old cover from BavAuto that the missus bought me years ago had pretty much given up :(
:mrgreen:
Bobbo
1980 633 CSi Cypress Green/Pearl Beige
2017 X5 M Sport Xdrive 35i Carbon Black/Ivory White
2005 330 Ci ZHP Cabrio Imola Red/Bone/Black
Da_Hose
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Da_Hose »

Sorry I didn't post the price. DOH!

It was $70 US. That's more than I would normally pay for a cover that will see outdoor use. A cover used outdoors just seems to get brutalized by the sun within a couple years. Although this one says it is rated for outdoors. The 10 year warranty was too much appeal to resist. In all, I think that is a good price for such a well fitted, quality cover.

Jose
1987 M6 - My dream car
Sinnerman

Post by Sinnerman »

Great tip. Thanks! I picked one up for my 6er and love it!