An "On"/"Off" switch in the trunk?

Post in this forum for topics relating to the exterior. This includes body, windows, and accessories

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Creed

An "On"/"Off" switch in the trunk?

Post by Creed »

Hey folks,

I've got a switch in my trunk on the driver's side.

I see a little fuel box in the trunk a little further back didn't know if the two were associated.

Trunk light turns on and stays on by opening trunk.

Power antenna is on passenger side.

What does this control?

I have a 1984 633 BTW if my signature doesn't work
84' 633csi - Delphin
baders
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: An "On"/"Off" switch in the trunk?

Post by baders »

Is it an ignition disabling switch ? Have you tried switching it ? Photo ?
1986 635csi LOCUTUS / Arktis Blau Metallic / Pearl Beige / S38B36/ Close ratio dogleg 5sp
2002 E46 M3 / Topaz Blau Metallic / Black Nappa / 6 speed SMG software tuned / Bilstein PSS10 Coilovers / CMP RACP reinforcement
Creed

Post by Creed »

its right where the carpet makes a bit of a corner to fit along the sides of the trunk
Attachments
im looking down on it.
im looking down on it.
IMG_20160103_125359504 (360x640).jpg (268.9 KiB) Viewed 4828 times
84' 633csi - Delphin
hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by hornhospital »

Obviously aftermarket. Trace the wires and see where they go....or flip it and see what works...or doesn't.
Ken Kanne
'84 633CSi "Sylvia"; '85 635CSi "Katja";'85 325e "Hazel Ann"; '95 M3 "Ashlyn"
Creed

Post by Creed »

yeah i have noticed it operating anything On or Off. thinking im just gunna trace it and remove it. Just wanted to make sure I was not hurting anything

thanks!
84' 633csi - Delphin
BillDe

Post by BillDe »

My 635Csi has one just like it, but in the center console ash tray. It disables the fuel pump. Switch it and the motor will crank but no fuel to start it. My son called me late one nite, said it would not start, so I went out get it started or towed. He had flipped the switch, I flipped it back and started the car. Anti-theft device.

Bill
DRPM635CSi

Post by DRPM635CSi »

Having recently completely removed everything in my boot (trunk) to fit a modified E28 towing pack rear suspension strut brace, I can confidently tell you that's mounted in the hole intended for the metal clip that holds the electrical plastic plug for the wires that operate the boot lid light. Someone's punched out the metal clip leaving the wires visible behind to swing in the breeze and used the mounting hole for this weird switch instead. Sorry, but I can't tell you what it's for or connected to, unless it's just the boot light?

Could well be the boot light if your battery is located in the boot like the M635's is. If you need to leave the battery on trickle charge, then a switch here would be useful to turn the light off while the boot remains open, otherwise you have to reach around the hinge bracket and manually disconnect the plastic plug by pulling it apart, which is much harder than a simple toggle switch would be.