LED tail light upgrade

Post in this forum for topics relating to the exterior. This includes body, windows, and accessories

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Da_Hose
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

LED tail light upgrade

Post by Da_Hose »

Hey people. We are always tossing around ideas to improve the tail lights on our 6er's, and tonight I installed something I think is a great upgrade!

Many of us have tried switching to LED tail light bulbs only to find that they cause errors in the diagnostic panel, which usually require addition of a resistor in the light circuit. Some of us have also added in extra bulbs in the vacant spot of the tail light bezel, but that requires adding in a bulb holder of some kind. Tonight, I was able to do a combination of the two approaches that was super easy to complete. Here is what I did.

First, I purchased a set of red COB 1156 led bulbs. They were $7 each from a vendor on ebay.

Next, I carefully filed off the chrome plating at the base right next to a retaining pin and soldered on a wire. I also soldered a wire onto the positive tip of the bulb. I have a large, industrial soldering gun that makes a lot of heat really quickly. It will really help to have a high end soldering gun, so you can spot heat quickly and not damage the electronics inside the LED bulb.

I was then able to install the bulb into the vacant spot in the housing, without needing to add a bulb holder. You can insert the bulb and twist, so the retaining pins hold it into the housing. On the passenger side the bulb fit more loosely, so I used a piece of zip tie to tighten up the fit of the bulb. Wiring things up was really easy, because there is a spade lug female inserted into the spot circled in red, just under the bulb opening. That is the common ground for the tail light bulbs.

I then connected the positive wire to the existing connector for the brake bulb by using a spade lug male and just trimming it down so it could be jammed in where the existing wire goes into the tail light housing.

The last thing to do was to wrap the ground plug in some electrical tape and close the housing back up.

Here is what the regular running bulbs look like.

Here is what the two bulbs lit up together look like.

In this closeup, you can see how the LED bulb in the upper left fills the whole space with more light and the projector end really focuses more light straight out the middle of the housing. I didn't even repaint inside the housings. The reflection off the bumper also demonstrates how much bigger the hot spot is in the middle and how much more light radiates out from center. The best part is that I did not have to modify my tail light housings at all and there is no error popping up in the diagnostic panel inside the car. I heartily recommend this lighting upgrade.

Jose
1987 M6 - My dream car
dwcains

Re: LED tail light upgrade

Post by dwcains »

I replaced almost all the bulbs in my car with LEDs, and for now, I'm living with the errors on the diagnostic panel. One of these days I'll pull the panel and deal with it there. I didn't want to use resistors on the signals, so I used one of these electronic flashers:

http://www.amazon.com/uxcell%C2%AE-Vehi ... lasher+led

The B+ and Load terminals on the flasher are reversed from the old German wiring, so I made some short jumpers to correct that. The backup LEDs are super-bright, and it's nice to see what's behind me now:

And, to be seen:

Also, under the hood, and in the cabin:

The cabin LEDs are a tad bright, and I'm going to make some little boards with orange LEDs to fit the housings and see if they look better. And, I still need to do the instrument cluster. The LEDs I used are a bit different:

Dean
Lutz, FL

'85 635 CSi Euro #9402254
'87 Spider Veloce
'92 Spider Veloce
'08 350Z

Finally6

Post by Finally6 »

Both excellent write ups!! Another thing to put on my list...
Northern VA, I-95 drone...
RHD 81 635
02 530i
00 528iT
91 535i
v-wiz

Post by v-wiz »

Very nice

Dw, where did you get your bulbs for the backup lights
Da_Hose
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Da_Hose »

The LED's DW used are more like high flux LED's. The ones I used are the newest ones on the market and give you the most light for surface area. Look for COB bulbs in the desired sizes. The tail lights are 1156's.

I also have COB style, white bulbs in my reverse lights. BOY did that make a difference. With the stock bulbs, I was completely blind at night due to the tint on my rear window. With the COB LED's, I can look out the back window and see where I am going at night.

Jose
1987 M6 - My dream car
dwcains

Post by dwcains »

v-wiz wrote:Very nice

Dw, where did you get your bulbs for the backup lights
eBay, and IIRC the seller was "champsclub", in California, but I could be wrong. It was over a year ago, and the COB type weren't listed then, so I can't offer any direct comparison between the two. But, I've been using this type in my other cars for several years and have had no failures. I think the total cost for all the LEDs in the E24 was ~$100.
Dean
Lutz, FL

'87 Spider Veloce
'92 Spider Veloce
'08 350Z

Da_Hose
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Da_Hose »

I have that same bulb in my cabin light fixture, DW. I also found some 32mm bayonet bulbs like those (with 4 led's) that worked out well for my visor mirror. Although I recently saw some 32mm's that had 6 led's.

Jose
1987 M6 - My dream car
MSGGrunt

Post by MSGGrunt »

Pardon my ignorance but, what is the difference between......

High Flux LED
COB LED
Can Bus LED

I installed 2 Walmart LED festoon bulbs in my new Hella lensed plate lights and got a warning light on my dash. They worked fine in the cabin light, under hood light and trunk light though. I would like to upgrade the taillights with the brightest bulbs possible as I too have tinted windows and with the stock bulbs I can hardly see anything when backing up but, I don't want any warning lights on my dash. And I am not strong at all when it comes to wiring so adding in resistors and the such would probably make me just live with new incandescent bulbs in the spots that to give warnings when LEDs are used.
dwcains

Post by dwcains »

All I can tell you is that the CANBUS LED"S are not supposed to trigger the error light on the car's diagnostic panel. But, that's for the newer cars, and I don't think it's applicable to our ancient iron. Maybe someone else has tried them and can chime in. All I'm concerned with it brightness and reliability, and the ones I used have provided that.
Dean
Lutz, FL

'87 Spider Veloce
'92 Spider Veloce
'08 350Z

Da_Hose
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Da_Hose »

High flux is older style, surface mount, high output led's.

COB is chips on board. Way more light in way less space.

CANBUS is a bulb that has been designed with the right amount of resistance so it doesn't trigger OBC errors on modern cars. CANBUS "should" work on our cars, but I have not had good luck with replacing bulbs altogether. The best solution has been adding the COB bulbs in addition. Although I have started getting an error since I installed new signal light bulbs. Yes, signal lights. I signal left and no problem. I signal right, up comes an error. However, if I have the lights on, I don't get an error when signaling right. Blah ..... I'll have to do some testing to sort that one out.

Jose
1987 M6 - My dream car
GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Any chance you guys could just . . .

Post by GRNSHRK »

...summarize your findings and make recommendations [-o<

All these discussions of different bulb types/styles, acronyms that nobody even knows what they mean, I for one am more confused then when this thread started #-o

From my point of view, providing suggestions based on actual bulb part numbers that you guys installed, from specific manufacturers and/or suppliers, web internet sellers or whatever, would be a great help, to all of us =D>

Personally, I went the "Mo-Brighta" route, many have probably bought his rear taillight assembly upgrades, with some degree of success 8)

But going the LED route would most likely be a better option, for a variety of reasons, including brightness, illuminating speed of LED's versus incandescent bulbs, cooler running temps, just to name a few :-k

Thanks in advance, and my apologies for this sounding like a rant =;
:mrgreen:
Bobbo
1980 633 CSi Cypress Green/Pearl Beige
2017 X5 M Sport Xdrive 35i Carbon Black/Ivory White
2005 330 Ci ZHP Cabrio Imola Red/Bone/Black
MSGGrunt

Post by MSGGrunt »

I of course would like brighter lights for safety reasons but, I don't want to put in any bulb that will give error codes on my onboard diagnosis center, I don't want to have to add in resistors or do anything other than plug and play. It's not that I'm lazy I just know my limits and electrical isn't my strong suit. LEDs in the interior, trunk and under hood light worked great though.
baders
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by baders »

Only those lights monitored by the Active Check Control system need to be of a certain resistance, ie. low beams, license plate, tail lights, and stop lights. Ordinary LEDs do not have the correct resistance to prevent Active Check from activating. There are quite a few LEDs however, on Ebay, that claim to have the correct resistance manufactured in.
1986 635csi LOCUTUS / Arktis Blau Metallic / Pearl Beige / S38B36/ Close ratio dogleg 5sp
2002 E46 M3 / Topaz Blau Metallic / Black Nappa / 6 speed SMG software tuned / Bilstein PSS10 Coilovers / CMP RACP reinforcement
Da_Hose
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Da_Hose »

I did summarize, Bobbo. Have a beer and some pork rinds, then take another look at my first post.

I'll tighten it up for you even more though. :-k

1.) Buy a set of red, COB style, 1156 base LED bulbs from ebay. You want the ones with flat sides, and the projector end.
2.) CAREFULLY solder on a pair of light gauge wires (14-16 is plenty)
3.) Insert them into the empty spaces of your tail light housing. They fit right in.
4.) Wire them to your existing brake lamps
5.) Enjoy the CRAZY brightness of your upgraded brake lights ..... and have some more beer and pork rinds.

Jose
1987 M6 - My dream car
MSGGrunt

Post by MSGGrunt »

Are the reverse bulbs 1156 as well?

These look correct?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/172159848559?var=470996191559
dwcains

Post by dwcains »

Yes, all the bulbs in the tails are the same. The only different ones are for the hood, trunk, interior, as their the festoon type. Not sure about the front signals on the US cars, though.
Dean
Lutz, FL

'87 Spider Veloce
'92 Spider Veloce
'08 350Z

Da_Hose
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Da_Hose »

That's the right bulb for the backups, grunt.

Jose
1987 M6 - My dream car
MSGGrunt

Post by MSGGrunt »

Thanks. Going to order a pair in red and a white pair and see how Soldering goes. I don't have a fancy, fast heat producing solder gun so should I see about having the wires soldered on by a professional? The last thing I want to do is overheat the internals and ruin my new bulbs.
baders
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by baders »

Everyone should have a decent temperature controlled soldering iron :) Make sure you get some light emery paper to slightly rough up the area you want to solder and use a good rosin cored solder. Pre-solder the wires and spots on the bulb if you can. That way the flux is already on the surfaces and ready to go into action with minimum heat.
1986 635csi LOCUTUS / Arktis Blau Metallic / Pearl Beige / S38B36/ Close ratio dogleg 5sp
2002 E46 M3 / Topaz Blau Metallic / Black Nappa / 6 speed SMG software tuned / Bilstein PSS10 Coilovers / CMP RACP reinforcement
GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Your first post scared me Jose . . .

Post by GRNSHRK »

I did summarize, Bobbo. Have a beer and some pork rinds, then take another look at my first post.
All that soldering and whatnot lead me to glazing over your original post and moved on to the rest of the thread, wherein I basically got lost and confused #-o

But the good news is, since I already have the "Mo Brighta" upgrade already installed, all that wiring business has been completed :shock:

So now it's just on to Ebay or wherever to buy the correct LED type inserts \:D/

BTW, I've already exchanged all of the festoon locations to LED's :wink:

Now, think I'll skip the pork rinds, but that beer is sounding pretty good right about now =D>
:mrgreen:
Bobbo
1980 633 CSi Cypress Green/Pearl Beige
2017 X5 M Sport Xdrive 35i Carbon Black/Ivory White
2005 330 Ci ZHP Cabrio Imola Red/Bone/Black
Da_Hose
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Da_Hose »

Well, then let's both have a beer tonight in honor of the glorious 6er, Bobbo. =D> I only replaced the festoons in the lit mirror of the passenger sunvisor and the main dome light. I left the rest alone.

Use a very light wire, Grunt. That's the hold up with the bulbs for Roger. The positive lead on one of them was not well stripped of chroming, and there is tiny end cap that covers that lead. The heavy wire I used pulled the solder out of the joint and the cap came off. Now I need to wick off the old solder, clean up the teeny tiny hole in the middle and resolder the little cap back on. Then attach some lighter wire.

Again.... sorry for the delay, Roger.

Jose
1987 M6 - My dream car
MSGGrunt

Post by MSGGrunt »

I have noticed on the LED lights in the big chain stores the wire attached from a battery to the "Try Me" button is a very light gauge. Is this all that is needed in the final assembly where LEDs draws much less power?
Attachments
IMG_1986.JPG
IMG_1986.JPG (130.81 KiB) Viewed 10815 times
baders
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by baders »

LEDs draw approximately 1/4 to 1/3 the current taken by an equivalent incandescent or discharge lamp.
Da_Hose
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Da_Hose »

Baders has it on the money. In my RV, I use a 50 ft. length of 22 guage hookup wire to run a 10 ft. long LED strip. LED's take almost nothing to run, which makes wiring them up nice and easy. You can use really light wires that are easy to pull into tight areas.

Jose
1987 M6 - My dream car
MisterFixit

Post by MisterFixit »

I am always looking into the suitability of these LED plug-in replacement lamps, and recently found out about a style that looks good, says "they are bright, fully flood the reflector dish, etc. etc." Best thing since sliced bread.

Anyway, I looked into them, they are the 'SPEKTRUM Weisslicht', expensive, but ... (you knew there was a but) ... they are said to be 'tuned' to specific check control circuitry, and no, E24 cars are not listed in the applications. I believe they are available in red, white or amber on the company site. Claimed not to throw a code violation when installed. No resistors needed. They sell models for signals (white or amber light) and reverse lights -- single filament white, and dual filament white or amber. Don't know what cars the red will fit, but not shown for an E34.

Weisslicht also sells these for fogs, side markers, interior, license plate, etc. They seem to focus on BMW E34 and newer only.

I called their support number, spoke to a tech, and he insists they DO NOT WORK in any car not listed. Their application goes back as far as E34 fives, no further. I am guessing the festoon (torpedo bulbs) for trunk, dome, other locations are not model specific as they are not monitored by check control circuitry, right?

Has anyone out there had any experience with the Weisslicht Spektrum, or interested in doing a trial ?
There's a U-tube video on these, or go to Weisslicht dot com.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHDadjC ... 51&list=WL

Dealers are charging around $90-100 a pair. Hmmm, send me a couple dozen?

Andy
Last edited by MisterFixit on Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Be Seen, and Not Hurt!"
Lighting Upgrades for 2002, E3, E12, E21, E23, E24, E28, E30, E32, E36, E39 - front & back
Headlight and Tail Light upgrades for maximum visibility. Headlight protection to keep lights intact.