Need HELP removing front grille (Solved sort of)

Post in this forum for topics relating to the exterior. This includes body, windows, and accessories

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

daz635

Need HELP removing front grille (Solved sort of)

Post by daz635 »

Can anyone offer some ideas into an issue I am having removing my front grilles around the headlights

I have removed the turn signals and 4 screws as indicated and the grille is loose both ends but it is still being held by something below the headlights on the bottom of the grille. Tried moving it in all different directions but it is definitely secured in place

Car is a 1986 Euro

Had a look at Malloc and it mentions nothing about this

Any ideas would be appreciated

Thanks
Last edited by daz635 on Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
'86 Euro 635 #1887204 Schwartz (086) Buffalo Schwartz Interior
Mark Shutt

Re: Need HELP removing front grille

Post by Mark Shutt »

that will be the headlamp washer jets that are fixed with (rusty?) little screws!
1988 635csi Auto Highline, Royal blue with Lotus white.
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=26461&p=189478#p189478
MrE
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Need HELP removing front grille

Post by MrE »

That does seem odd.

My Australian-delivered '86 does not have headlight washer jets and the front grille comes out just fine on mine. I didn't think Australia got headlight washers/wipers til the '88 world bumpers were released (but I could be wrong).

If yours does have them maybe that's the difference?

daz635

Re: Need HELP removing front grille (Solved sort of)

Post by daz635 »

Thanks for the reply Mark / Mr E

My car being Australian delivered 1986 does not have headlight wash/wipe

I have however discovered an answer to the problem. A previous owner for some reason has used self cutting screws from the bottom of the bumper up thru the metal pieces on the top of the bumper and into the plastic on the bottom of the grille. Probably due to my front bumper assembly not being straight

To hide this it was done where the plastic is thicker at the bottom of both headlights. Only noticed because on the right hand grille whoever missed slightly and the top of the cutting screw is just showing.

Great. Now I need to pull the whole front bumper assembly off to get to these screws before I can pull the grilles off. All I wanted to do was clean the inside of my headlights. ](*,)
'86 Euro 635 #1887204 Schwartz (086) Buffalo Schwartz Interior