Antenna Issues

Post in this forum for topics relating to the exterior. This includes body, windows, and accessories

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Dmckim

Antenna Issues

Post by Dmckim »

1980 633csi. e12 based car.

Power antenna stopped going down when car turned of or radio turned off. Pushing down on the mast while turning off radio would make it retract. I pulled the mast out, and have the internal plastic wire with teeth. Unfortunately, it looks like it snapped. My guess is that when I pushed down on the mast, the remainder of the cable in the mast caught in the motor and would make it retract. Motor sounds like it is operational.

Since I surmise there is a broken piece of plastic wire in the motor, can I just buy the replacement mast, or do I need to buy the whole motor?

If I replace the whole motor, is there an access point in the wheel well so the fender doesn't need to come off?

Regards,

Dale
Buffalo, NY
1980 633CSi
1987 325is (sold)
2001 740iL Sport (sold)
2007 328xiT (Sold)
2014 320dT (Sold)
Current: 2023 Jetta GLI M/T
2007 GMC Sierra,
1972 Pontiac LeMans Sport Convertible
slofut

Re: Antenna Issues

Post by slofut »

If they're still available you can just replace the mast and plastic rack. Check realoem.com and get a part number for your car. Prob get it at a dealer. I've replaced others without taking the motor apart but your results may vary.
'87 635csi, 5sp man, dk blu on pearl beige
'88 635csi, auto, black on grey
'63 BMW Isetta
'75 XJ6C, 2dr, warm 350
'86 XJ6, th700r4
'75TR6
'64 Olds 88 conv
"68 T120 Bonneville
griffo

Post by griffo »

hi all just quickly this question is related to the topic so I thought it would be better to ask here-
my e12 based 633csi has the antenna on the right hand side at the rear of the car. I cant put a mtech spiler on it because of this so I want to know why the car has the antenna in this position?
WelshBentleyBoy

Post by WelshBentleyBoy »

I too have an antenna issue. Mine has just stuck half way up. I cannot push it down and there is no sound of the motor when the radio is turned on off.It seems that there is no power getting to the motor. I have checked the fuse (No 28) and that seems ok. Any suggestions please
Paul
WelshBentleyBoy
Tommys 89 635

Post by Tommys 89 635 »

I've changed the mask in my 89 once before because it was bent, it was an easy fix.
Tommy
1989 635 CSI (Second owner since Jun 1995, driven daily and retired in 2013 with 295k to occasional driving)
2011 335D (Daily driver) with 103,550
MrE
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by MrE »

WelshBentleyBoy wrote:I too have an antenna issue. Mine has just stuck half way up. I cannot push it down and there is no sound of the motor when the radio is turned on off.It seems that there is no power getting to the motor. I have checked the fuse (No 28) and that seems ok. Any suggestions please
If you can take the aerial unit out and open it up you may be able to fix it or work out why it's not getting power. It can be done but often they're just worn out after 30 years or so of use.

It'd be good to work out if its broken or not, but depending on how much they cost in your area you may be better off just getting a new one. You can get aftermarket ones that are similar in size & fitment, or you can pay top dollar for good ones like Hirschmann that will likely last you another 30 years.

I had stupid hassles with mine when removing it (mine was sticking up about 6 inches when fully retracted so that initially made it difficult to access the retaining screws from above) but I asked online and people gave me the answers on how to get it out.
MrE
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by MrE »

griffo wrote:hi all just quickly this question is related to the topic so I thought it would be better to ask here-
my e12 based 633csi has the antenna on the right hand side at the rear of the car. I cant put a mtech spiler on it because of this so I want to know why the car has the antenna in this position?
griffo, with your car it is most likely that a previous owner has put an aftermarket aerial on the rear fender and placed it way down at the back there.

Your E12 633 means your car would have had its factory aerial originally mounted on the front left fender. BMW moved the aerial from the front to the back with the E28-based cars.

There might be a rubber patch or something on the front fender filling the hole where the original aerial used to be? There was on my old Reseda green 633.

Check this out:
http://www.e-24.ru/eng/theory/gallery/e ... 71.shtml#p
MrE
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by MrE »

Dmckim wrote:1980 633csi. e12 based car.

Power antenna stopped going down when car turned of or radio turned off. Pushing down on the mast while turning off radio would make it retract. I pulled the mast out, and have the internal plastic wire with teeth. Unfortunately, it looks like it snapped. My guess is that when I pushed down on the mast, the remainder of the cable in the mast caught in the motor and would make it retract. Motor sounds like it is operational.

Since I surmise there is a broken piece of plastic wire in the motor, can I just buy the replacement mast, or do I need to buy the whole motor?

If I replace the whole motor, is there an access point in the wheel well so the fender doesn't need to come off?

Regards,

Dale
Buffalo, NY
Sorry Dale - didn't realise your issue was still unresolved.

It's a good question actually, I've only ever dealt with removing the rear mounted aerial, which is easily accessible in through the boot/trunk. I'm not sure what's involved in accessing an aerial mounted in the front guard?

Has anyone here got experience with that?

Regards,
Ellis.
griffo

Post by griffo »

MrE wrote:
griffo wrote:hi all just quickly this question is related to the topic so I thought it would be better to ask here-
griffo, with your car it is most likely that a previous owner has put an aftermarket aerial on the rear fender and placed it way down at the back there.

Your E12 633 means your car would have had its factory aerial originally mounted on the front left fender. BMW moved the aerial from the front to the back with the E28-based cars.

There might be a rubber patch or something on the front fender filling the hole where the original aerial used to be? There was on my old Reseda green 633.

Check this out:
um just did a bitta research and supposably the hallmarks had it on the rear!

MrE
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by MrE »

griffo wrote:
MrE wrote:

Check this out:
um just did a bitta research and supposably the hallmarks had it on the rear!

Gosh!

So there's your answer then.
griffo

Post by griffo »

but it looks rough!
is there anywere else were bmw put them?
GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

This is where it belongs . . .

Post by GRNSHRK »

My apologies Dale, for the highjacking of your thread #-o

griffo, on the E28 based cars (as Mr. E duly noted) the proper antenna location is here :shock:

Also as Ellis has noted, yours was most likely hacked without consideration for mounting a rear spoiler [-X
Attachments
Antenna.png
Antenna.png (1.37 MiB) Viewed 12809 times
:mrgreen:
Bobbo
1980 633 CSi Cypress Green/Pearl Beige
2017 X5 M Sport Xdrive 35i Carbon Black/Ivory White
2005 330 Ci ZHP Cabrio Imola Red/Bone/Black
Ralph in Socal
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Ralph in Socal »

Dmckim wrote:1980 633csi. e12 based car.

Regards,

Dale
Buffalo, NY
Hello Dale. Removal of the inner fender liner [plastic piece secured with 8 mm (or 10 mm) head screws] will allow access to the antenna parts. It is easy to take apart and rebuild if you can find a new mast. They were previously sold on ebay but I have not searched in a while. The remaining section of plastic mast drive is still inside the collecting drum within the unit. You should remove any of the residual material and clean it up well prior to re-assembly. Careful on reassembly as the small rubber spacers can fall out of place easily. Take pictures to make sure you put it back together the same way as it is a pain to align the antenna to raise and stand in the correct position when in use. Best of luck.

Ralph
Last edited by Ralph in Socal on Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is a very fine line between "Hobby" and Mental Illness.

85 635csi Zinno Auto
84 528i Euro
83 635 Euro Arktik
81 528i Kastanien 5-speed
88 528e Bronzit (Granpa Car)
86 535i Auto (For Sale)
81 633 csi (retired)
Dmckim

Post by Dmckim »

Thanks for the help guys. I ordered a replacement mast from FCP Euro, and it seems to have a different mount than the one in the car. The existing antenna has a large chrome "nut" that secures the antenna to the outsude of motor housing. The replacement has a smaller thread on it that secures to the inside on the housing. Not sure if mine was replaced at some stage by P.O.

Will keep everyone updated.

Thanks for the help, especially Ralph. Bobbo., not so much :lol:

Dale
1980 633CSi
1987 325is (sold)
2001 740iL Sport (sold)
2007 328xiT (Sold)
2014 320dT (Sold)
2007 GMC Sierra,
Dmckim

Post by Dmckim »

Well....solved part of the problem. It was a Japanese aftermarket antenna. Hence the issue with the replacement mast. Ordered a new Hirschmann one.

Thanks again to Ralph for the removal guide...took longer to get the air compressor out than getting the antenna out.

Dale
1980 633CSi
1987 325is (sold)
2001 740iL Sport (sold)
2007 328xiT (Sold)
2014 320dT (Sold)
2007 GMC Sierra,
GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Hey, I ressemble that remark!

Post by GRNSHRK »

Thanks for the help, especially Ralph. Bobbo., not so much :lol:
Amazingly Dale, my antenna still functions just fine after 26 years of ownership :shock:

Must be the CA weather :-"

Hope all's well up in Beefalo :lol:
:mrgreen:
Bobbo
1980 633 CSi Cypress Green/Pearl Beige
2017 X5 M Sport Xdrive 35i Carbon Black/Ivory White
2005 330 Ci ZHP Cabrio Imola Red/Bone/Black
Diabelko

Post by Diabelko »

Okay guys, since I'm not the first one to hijack this thread, I feel better what I'm about to do.
IMG_0087.JPG
IMG_0087.JPG (1.89 MiB) Viewed 12737 times
I just bought a new antenna, supposedly fitting this car - original Hirschman stuff and all that.
This is antenna with radio being turned off. Am I doing something wrong or this is clearly wrong antenna and it should be way shorter?
1985 US 635CSi
1999 EU 530dA
Ralph in Socal
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Ralph in Socal »

Diabelko wrote:Okay guys, since I'm not the first one to hijack this thread, I feel better what I'm about to do.
IMG_0087.JPG
I just bought a new antenna, supposedly fitting this car - original Hirschman stuff and all that.
This is antenna with radio being turned off. Am I doing something wrong or this is clearly wrong antenna and it should be way shorter?
With the radio in the off position, the antenna has +12V only at the red wire. The motor and control are in the retract position so that means all the plastic drive you have in the photo should be in the storage drum. The top of the mast assembly in your hand has a threaded section to screw into the antenna riser.

I have never tried to feed the plastic drive into the antenna housing while it is still in the car. I have always taken the housing apart and re-assembled on a bench. There is a sequence of parts which need to be "in the loop" during threading of the plastic drive into the storage drum. I then bench test the unit prior to install. Not saying it can't be done though.

Ralph
There is a very fine line between "Hobby" and Mental Illness.

85 635csi Zinno Auto
84 528i Euro
83 635 Euro Arktik
81 528i Kastanien 5-speed
88 528e Bronzit (Granpa Car)
86 535i Auto (For Sale)
81 633 csi (retired)
Diabelko

Post by Diabelko »

Ralph,

problem is that actually wire is longer than that and part of it is already inside. I followed some website with black and white images of installation, but I have a weird feeling I'm doing something wrong. Is this possible that previous antenna was ripped off and part of that plastic wire is still inside and that's what causes the issue?
1985 US 635CSi
1999 EU 530dA
Dmckim

Post by Dmckim »

Diabelko wrote:Ralph,

problem is that actually wire is longer than that and part of it is already inside. I followed some website with black and white images of installation, but I have a weird feeling I'm doing something wrong. Is this possible that previous antenna was ripped off and part of that plastic wire is still inside and that's what causes the issue?
It could be. The antenna I removed from the broken unit was noticeably shorter than the replacement one. How do yours compare? If there is a broken piece still in there, I guess that you would still have an issue. See Ralph's post above.

FWIW, I installed new Hirschmann unit yesterday in the car. Pretty simple process.

Dale
1980 633CSi
1987 325is (sold)
2001 740iL Sport (sold)
2007 328xiT (Sold)
2014 320dT (Sold)
2007 GMC Sierra,
Diabelko

Post by Diabelko »

Dmckim wrote: It could be. The antenna I removed from the broken unit was noticeably shorter than the replacement one. How do yours compare? If there is a broken piece still in there, I guess that you would still have an issue. See Ralph's post above.
Dale
Problem is it was already ripped out from the car - only outer part was sticking out of the car, but after unscrewing it there was no wire or any visible parts there. I guess my only shot is to remove whole electric motor and check it.
1985 US 635CSi
1999 EU 530dA
WelshBentleyBoy

Post by WelshBentleyBoy »

Sorted my problem. The motor had burnt out.

I bought a Hirschmann Auta 2050 Electric Car Aerial Chrome Mast for £51. I am no genius with a spanner so the local Car audio shop fitted it for £50.

Now working perfectly
Paul
WelshBentleyBoy