Early E24 floor pan same as early E23?

Post in this forum for topics relating to the exterior. This includes body, windows, and accessories

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

CHARGER

Early E24 floor pan same as early E23?

Post by CHARGER »

Hey guy's have a 77 e24 "e12 base" with rusty floor pans and currently weighing up my donor car options.

I have been told early E23 7 series 4 doors have the same floor pan as the early e24 coupe can anyone confirm this?
olympia57
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Early E24 floor pan same as early E23?

Post by olympia57 »

E23 wheel base is 7 inches longer than the E12 based E24 so I would think that although they may be similar pressings they will differ in dimensions.
Depending on the extent of rot and the finish requirements of the job ,ie concours or not , the actual pressings are "easily" replicated . This took 15 mins , another 15 and it could have been 100%.
Don
IMGP0885.JPG
IMGP0885.JPG (1.33 MiB) Viewed 5419 times
1981 635 series 1
francoid

Post by francoid »

This is awesome and calls for a video.. YouTube or similar... Pretty please! [-o<
bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bpoliakoff »

I don’t know about E23, but when patching the floors on my E12 based car, I cut some from a later chassied car. The big or main difference is the fluting in the new piece didn’t reach back far enough to match up with the early floor pan. Solution: We took a piece of 2X4 and with a die grinder ground a concave section in a piece of wood to match the shape of the fluting. We then beat, formed, the extended flute into the replacement panel, butt welded it in and after grinding the welds, you can not tell it was patched. If you fo to the flickr account shown in my signature, there are some pictures but I am not sure if they show the finished patch or just what the cutout of the rust looked like. I did have to do this on all 4 footwells.
81 Euro 635 M90 with motronic. Currently under a complete nut and bolt restoration. Pictures at
flickr.com/photos/bertsphotos.
zinnocoupe

Post by zinnocoupe »

Bert, I just looked at your photos of the work you've done to your car. Just to clarify, you cut all four floor panels from a series II e24 and they worked with some modifications? If so thats good to hear because I'll be doing the same to my 79 someday. As I've said in the past, your car looks awesome. How about some more photos of recent progress?
1979 Euro 635ci no longer a basketcase, just a running rust bucket!
1977 530i Partially restored and running now!
1987 635csi 60K KM Garage Queen