Bonnet louvres for cooling

Post in this forum for topics relating to the exterior. This includes body, windows, and accessories

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Pod
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Bonnet louvres for cooling

Post by Pod »

Has anybody on this board had louvres punched into an E24 bonnet?

I'm considering using the triangular areas above the towers, but there's plenty of room along the centre-line of the bonnet. Any comments?

If so, how effective was it (for cooling purposes)?

Any photographs (or links to E24s with this mod) would be much appreciated :-)

Thanks in anticipation.
slofut

Re: Bonnet louvres for cooling

Post by slofut »

Funny, I just saw an advertiser in this months Roundel mag selling these. They were to be riveted in, but to have them punched into the sheetmetal may actually look ok if done well. I had the same thoughts on my jag xj6c years back. There were a couple guys that had them punched and they looked pretty good on those cars. I'd like to see an e24 with them.
'87 635csi, 5sp man, dk blu on pearl beige
'88 635csi, auto, black on grey
'63 BMW Isetta
'75 XJ6C, 2dr, warm 350
'86 XJ6, th700r4
'75TR6
'64 Olds 88 conv
"68 T120 Bonneville
ron
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by ron »

Lots on here and a couple close to you.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?sourcei ... 5.6739j0j4
They are ALWAYS rustier than you thought!!!!!!
'85 M #228
'87 M #367
'88 High line.
'10 X5
‘84 Alfasud 1.5 ti
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

presumably the intention is to let hot air out of the louvres?

If so there is a fundamental problem, in that the cabin air intake is at the base of the windscreen. It is very likely that some of the engine bay air coming out of any louvres will be drawn in to the cabin intake at certain road speeds. [That is why BMW designed the engine bay the way they did IMHO.]

If this happens it might just be a bit stinky, but then again, a small exhaust leak could give you carbon monoxide poisoning.

FWIW if you are going to improve underbonnet cooling, it is probably best to make vents through the inner and outer wings, somewhere near the back of the engine bay. This way air from the engine bay thus won't get into the cabin so easily.

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Pod
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Pod »

Brucey wrote:presumably the intention is to let hot air out of the louvres?

If so there is a fundamental problem, in that the cabin air intake is at the base of the windscreen. It is very likely that some of the engine bay air coming out of any louvres will be drawn in to the cabin intake at certain road speeds. [That is why BMW designed the engine bay the way they did IMHO.]

If this happens it might just be a bit stinky, but then again, a small exhaust leak could give you carbon monoxide poisoning.

FWIW if you are going to improve underbonnet cooling, it is probably best to make vents through the inner and outer wings, somewhere near the back of the engine bay. This way air from the engine bay thus won't get into the cabin so easily.

cheers
Thanks, Brucey.

Ron's Turbo is coming to live with me :wink:

I've been researching this for a couple of days. I know that there is low pressure air at the base of the windscreen and I did consider holes through the wings - but thought that this is a big mod. to take on - and I'm not sure if the structural integrity of the shell would be compromised. I came to the conclusion that if I had the louvres punched over the struts, then the airflow would most likely not suck the vented air into the cabin as it would not be "line of sight", if you catch my drift?

Now I come to think about it, I realise why the wing vents and ducting were placed where they are on my ex-AMV8!

I'm wondering if a couple of holes in the front of the inner wings, above the mountings which always rust anyway would be a workable compromise? That would avoid having to cut holes in the outer wings, wouldn't it? (although I accept that the venting would be preferable further back, but then you have issues with the splash guards etc).

Still, I have my recently-acquired plasma cutter..................................................... :-"

Life's never simple - back to the drawing board!
sharkfan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sharkfan »

Why not just fit the necessary electric cooling fan in front of the radiator, intercooler and oil cooler and see how it all copes?

Going straight to cutting holes in the wings and/or bonnet when there is clearly a cooling system component absent is circumventing the actual problem.
2001 Alpina B10 V8 Touring (1 of 12 rhd)
1997 Alpina B12 5.7 L (1 of 2 rhd)
1995 Alpina B10 4.6 Touring (1 of 1 rhd)
1985 BMW M635CSi (1 of 524 rhd)
1982 BMW 635CSiA (1 of 100's left from the 1000's made and still valiantly fighting against a rusty grave)
wattsmonkey
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by wattsmonkey »

This has been on my mind of late. The under-bonnet temperature of the m with the fritz manifold is ridiculous. Indeed, I'm sure my sticking throttle is partly down to this and I expect brake mc problems to follow.

I've bought some comedically-named "magma wrap" on recommendation and will be bending a sheet of aluminium to follow the original rhd heat shield. I am tempted to follow the e34 example and fit the steering box shield.

How did the proper snakes nest lhd cars manage?
"Most of it necessary; all of it enjoyable." LJKS
'84 635CSi, dogleg...itbs and supercharger????? Eaton Mess
sansouci
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sansouci »

Did you look at the solution for the V16 Goldfish? Trunk mounted radiator. Too radical for a 6 but intriguing anyway.
Sansouci
84 E24 633Csi Auto, Bronzit/PearlBeige 6997510
93 E32 740il M60 Auto, Alpenweis/Ultramarine
60 528i M30 5-speed Green/Beige (crushed)
71 240Z 4-speed White/Blue (rusty & sold)
65 396 Chevelle 4-speed, Marina Blue/Black (stolen)
Da_Hose
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Da_Hose »

I have a set of snakes in my M6. I could not re-fit the main heat shield, so I made my own. Shape is a replica of the original, but made from expanded sheet metal that can flex, which allows installation with headers mounted.

ImageImage

The steering arm heat shield fits just fine.

Jose
1987 M6 - My dream car
wattsmonkey
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by wattsmonkey »

Thanks Jose,

That looks just the thing.

The rhd cars do not have a heatshield over the steering box as standard, which always struck me as a bit of an oversight. There is one on the upper control arm though.
"Most of it necessary; all of it enjoyable." LJKS
'84 635CSi, dogleg...itbs and supercharger????? Eaton Mess
635csiSyd

Post by 635csiSyd »

I run a 300hp turbo mini and have also had stupid hp turbo Lancers et al before you start cutting holes in everything get the exhaust manifold,turbo hot side etc etc ceramic coated you will be surprised at how much the under bonnet temps come down
7/86 E24 635 manual RHD
Royal Blue/Pearl Beige
Pod
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Pod »

sharkfan wrote:Why not just fit the necessary electric cooling fan in front of the radiator, intercooler and oil cooler and see how it all copes?

Going straight to cutting holes in the wings and/or bonnet when there is clearly a cooling system component absent is circumventing the actual problem.
As I understand it, there is no room to fit an auxiliary fan in front of the rad. Apparently the car gets too warm after a while when stationary with the existing fan/viscous coupling. Although it should be possible to replace these with a puller fan (and hopefully increase the power output a little :wink:), I see the main problem to be the removal hot air from the engine bay after the cooling cycle when there is insufficient air flow past the car.

I've got plenty of spare bonnets to experiment with, so its not really a big issue for me if it doesn't work. Chopping holes in front wings though, is an entirely different kettle of fish........................
Pod
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Pod »

635csiSyd wrote:I run a 300hp turbo mini and have also had stupid hp turbo Lancers et al before you start cutting holes in everything get the exhaust manifold,turbo hot side etc etc ceramic coated you will be surprised at how much the under bonnet temps come down
Thanks for your input - a worthwhile consideration. In light of my previous comment regarding a plentiful supply of bonnets, I am minded to do that first which will be an inexpensive and immediate "fix" (I hope ) before getting involved in taking parts off the car which I fear may be time-consuming and not without significant cost. I'd rather be driving the car now and working on it when the Summer ends. (Probably in a few weeks in this part of the World :( )
RossDinan6

Post by RossDinan6 »

I have been considering adding louvers to my hood (I'm a colonist, what can I say). After the replacement fuse box cover warped due to the heat it got me thinking about it. The passenger side paint and sound insulation under hood has been deteriorated for years due to turbo heat. I just can't quite picture it in my unartistic mind. I'd be quite curious the results of before and after temp measurements.

Looks like I may need to record some temps and track down a bonnet.
Ross
'84 633 Dinan turbo