Taillight Bezels - New or Rechrome

Post in this forum for topics relating to the exterior. This includes body, windows, and accessories

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

jb02

Taillight Bezels - New or Rechrome

Post by jb02 »

Has any body had luck with having their taillight bezels (supports) rechromed? They are still available new from BMW (Real Oem Parts) for $275.97 plus core. So I would imagine BMW is providing rechromed ones?

Does anybody have recommendations for chrome refinishers in the USA? I would like to get my taillights and a Euro bumper sections restored if not too pricey.

Jonathan
olympia57
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Taillight Bezels - New or Rechrome

Post by olympia57 »

Being made of Mazak they are difficult to get smooth prior to chroming. I'd select an honest chroming facility first and ask him what the expected finish/cost would be .
If an "as new" finish is sought then I'd purchase new ones .
The alternative is to remove the blistering and fill the craters left to body finish quality and then chrome vinyl wrap them.
It works , I did mine .
Different sides but both were the same condition.
Don
IMGP1052 - Copy (Small).JPG
IMGP1052 - Copy (Small).JPG (127.3 KiB) Viewed 5565 times
IMGP1057 - Copy (Small).JPG
IMGP1057 - Copy (Small).JPG (131.84 KiB) Viewed 5565 times
DSCF7922 - Copy (Small).JPG
DSCF7922 - Copy (Small).JPG (88.08 KiB) Viewed 5565 times
1981 635 series 1
BamaE24

Post by BamaE24 »

How difficult was it to wrap the bezels with vinyl? Looks like a good way to refurbish 'em at home.
jb02

Post by jb02 »

Thanks for the vinyl wrap suggestion. Came out great. Did you use heat to stretch the vinyl on the curves for wrinkle free finish. Did you wrap in one piece and then trim? Any particular brand or supplier of film that you recommend?

Thanks again,

Jonathan
hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by hornhospital »

+1 to the above questions. Inquiring minds (and owners of badly corroded tail light trim) want to know.
Ken Kanne
'84 633CSi "Sylvia"; '85 635CSi "Katja";'85 325e "Hazel Ann"; '95 M3 "Ashlyn"
olympia57
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by olympia57 »

I chose 3M chrome wrap simply because of the brand name and purchased it from a 100% feedback seller on Ebay UK . It was very inexpensive .
My bezels were perfect along the top ,bottom and outside faces only the inside returns had blistered as shown in the photo.
The key is getting the surface smooth ( bodywork smooth ) and that entailed sanding using a small detail sanded with 120 then 240 pads. The craters can then be filled using any good quality filler and then smoothed initially using the sander and then by hand .I used 800 ,1200 an then 1500 paper to get the final finish.
I gave the areas a light dusting of rattle can primer just to give a key for the wrap.
Applying the wrap was initially a little daunting but the contours are simple and you'll pick up the technique quickly . Look on You Tube and you'll get all the info you need.
A sharp box knife with additional blades ,modelling knive/scalpel ,scissors ,clean microfibre cloths , and a good heat gun ( variable setting one if possible ) , Oh ,and a good cutting board as tons of utter and abject misery will fall on you from a mighty height if you slice that vinyl on an antique European Oak dining table . :roll:
Once applied I sealed the inner return edges with lacquer brushed on , varnish will work just as good .
I wouldn't hesitate wrapping the complete frame in one section as the wrap is very malleable and does adhere when applied correctly. As I said ,mine required only the inner returns and therefore has an "edge " where the wrap ends but it really is impossible to detect and would take a Pebble Beach judge to find it ......
It's two years since I applied it and it's still intact and the good thing is that it took so little time to do and cost virtually zero if it does detach I'll just do it again.
I'm quite fussy on finishes on my cars but would have no hesitation in recommending this as an acceptable alternative to buying new or re chroming.
If you are unsure about doing it yourself ask around if there are any " wrappers " in the neighbourhood and pay them to do it , I'd say that it would take 15 mins a frame ,Tops.
If I can help further just ask.
Don
1981 635 series 1
hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by hornhospital »

=D> \:D/
Excellent. Many thanks, Don.
Ken Kanne
'84 633CSi "Sylvia"; '85 635CSi "Katja";'85 325e "Hazel Ann"; '95 M3 "Ashlyn"
brickwhite

Post by brickwhite »

I got a quote for re-chrome , it was $175 each but they could not promise that all imperfections would be filled or if the rear tabs could be saved. Since they are pot metal base they were very leary of trying to remove the old and putting on a nice new finish.
- 12 535i
- 92 325ic