Group interest - rear light frame seals

Post in this forum for topics relating to the exterior. This includes body, windows, and accessories

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Poll ended at Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:25 pm

YES Interest in re-manufactured light seals using 3D printer technique
100%
NO Interest in re-manufactured light seals using 3D printer technique
No votes

Total votes: 11

guido

Post by guido »

Please register your interest here for these seals, I will be making a few enquiries with 3D printers about having some made up.
If of course you already have a good supply for these then please let us know, any other relative information is very welcome.

This is for the following parts as found on Real Oem.
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpar ... Id=63_0174

4 SEALING FRAME LEFT 63211360465
4 SEALING FRAME RIGHT 63211360466
guido

Re: Group interest - rear light frame seals

Post by guido »

Maybe having the option for people to enter the amount they would be prepared to pay for these would be good?
Currently cost 67€ with Genuine Auto Parts or $90 on Real Oem or £69 at Rybrook BMW.
JCS

Post by JCS »

Guido,

Just to give you a frame of reference, here in the USA,
Husker sells for $80.57 + $12.01 ship, USD
http://www.bmwdirectparts.com/oe-bmw/63211360465
Jay
'88 M6, Red/Tan
My NEW Website https://www.jaysbmwparts.com/
guido

Post by guido »

Jay, have you placed an order with them for these parts recently and received them? As there are many sites/companies that will take the order and payment but will then come back 2 days or a 1 week later saying they are no longer available or on back order, I have 2 orders pending on back order so far.
Also with this site 'BMW Direct Parts' I can't see an address for them on any page which I like to see before making payment, also the option to place the order using a card does not work.
guido

Post by guido »

I have been looking on a few German forums and most people are in the same position, some have been waiting 2-3 years+ :roll:
guido

Post by guido »

Excuse my ignorance but interestingly this part is shared with the E26 M1 according to realoem, as well as most other parts of the tail lights.
So you'd have thought BMW would give this more of a shove..

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpar ... 3211360465
Finally6

Post by Finally6 »

Interested times 2.
Northern VA, I-95 drone...
RHD 81 635
02 530i
00 528iT
91 535i
TBM

Post by TBM »

Very interested but I can't see these being 3D printed. They need to be cast in rubber.
'84 M635csi
'86 Lotus esprit Turbo (sold)
Da_Hose
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Da_Hose »

Modern 3D printing can pretty cool stuff, including silicone and rubber like printing. I'd be interested in seeing how they turn out.

Jose
1987 M6 - My dream car
RichardP

Post by RichardP »

I've had a couple of left side seals on order from BMW for a couple of months. I also spoke to someone from BMW Classic in Munich in September, they said that the seals were being made and would be ready for testing in December, if they passed testing then they would be available in January/February. Checked the status today and they now show as NLA, I can only assume that they either failed testing or the company that were going to make them has reneged for some reason.

So, I'd be interested in at least a couple of sets of these if anyone can make them.
sharkfan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sharkfan »

List me for two sets; I had a call from BMW today to say my back-order for two sets had to be cancelled as they are now listed (as Richard says) by BMW as NLA.
2001 Alpina B10 V8 Touring (1 of 12 rhd)
1997 Alpina B12 5.7 L (1 of 2 rhd)
1995 Alpina B10 4.6 Touring (1 of 1 rhd)
1985 BMW M635CSi (1 of 524 rhd)
1982 BMW 635CSiA (1 of 100's left from the 1000's made and still valiantly fighting against a rusty grave)
BenM635i

Post by BenM635i »

Would like a set too if possible, stick me down please... more the merrier festive ho ho ho.
'85 M635 #160
RichardP

Post by RichardP »

Confirmation from BMW classic :
After a review of our stock we have to state that your requested part
6321 1360465 is not available and will not be reproduced in forseeable
time.
RichardP

Post by RichardP »

BMW Classic are now denying that they ever had plans to make any more of these seals! Pretty sure it will be a dead end, but I'm going to keep pestering them!

Has anyone ever tried contacting Hella directly? The Right seal that I have has the Hella part number 135 834-00 embossed on the moulding. Anyone have a Left seal with a part number on?
ron
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by ron »

RichardP wrote:
Has anyone ever tried contacting Hella directly? The Right seal that I have has the Hella part number 135 834-00 embossed on the moulding. Anyone have a Left seal with a part number on?
Checked 10 of my seals (or parts of). No sign of your part number. All mine are:-

Marked with Hella logo. L/H 117-653. R/H 117-652.
They are ALWAYS rustier than you thought!!!!!!
'85 M #228
'87 M #367
'88 High line.
'10 X5
‘84 Alfasud 1.5 ti
RichardP

Post by RichardP »

Interesting. The seal I got the number from was the last UK stock of the right side, I've just looked at the used seal that I have and that has part number 117 652 X2 embossed in it (also a 2 after the R rotated through 90 degrees, the new seal has a 4). Maybe the part number changed on the last production run?
guido

Post by guido »

I'm still being told by several people in the know that BMW are in the process of having these made up by a third party. The first attempt at the back end of last year, again by another company, was not successful as they used a rubber that wasn't very pliable rather than following the original design recipe that used a rubber similar to neoprene.
The wait continues....
RichardP

Post by RichardP »

I don't think one person at BMW talks to anyone else about things like this!!

I've spoken to Hella UK, they responded quickly to emails but were not much help. They have record of the part numbers on the gaskets but say they are the property of BMW so no information about them can be released. They said that they have had similar requests before, even with written permission from the OEM concerned, Hella Germany refuse to give any information on OEM parts. They will provide info to BMW, then BMW can then tell anyone they want.

So, back to BMW! I've tried to push my requests up the command chain a bit, the last reply I got was
We have forwarded your email to the responsible department. Please be
patient until your request is processed.
Which could just be a translations of "We have put your request in the bin, please don't pester us any more!"
sansouci
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sansouci »

I am interested in 1 set.
--Ken
Sansouci
84 E24 633Csi Auto, Bronzit/PearlBeige 6997510
93 E32 740il M60 Auto, Alpenweis/Ultramarine
60 528i M30 5-speed Green/Beige (crushed)
71 240Z 4-speed White/Blue (rusty & sold)
65 396 Chevelle 4-speed, Marina Blue/Black (stolen)
guido

Post by guido »

Richard, I think it would be wise to give BMW the benefit of the doubt...famous last words I know :roll: :D
I have spoken with several people at BMW Classic in Germany, the last person being solely responsible for the re-manufacture and sourcing of these precise seals. I won't give his name over the forum for obvious reasons but he did give the information I mentioned earlier in the thread in November 2016, following their failed first batch attempt.
In as far as giving BMW the benefit of the doubt, I'm going to wait until March, which should hopefully give them enough time to manufacture and test the seals. If this leads to another dead-end, I have already made enquiries for moulds to be made up and will test before letting Big Coupe members know the results.
If you're prepared to wait until March then let me know.
RichardP

Post by RichardP »

No problem waiting till march, I'm not desperate for the seal but I'm pretty sure I will need one at some point. My existing seal looks ok, but it's stuck to both the light frame and body, so I can't remove the light without risking destroying the seal. On my car the left seal is directly over the exhaust so has a harder life.

Do you have a phone number for BMW Classic that you can use in the UK? The German +49 800 - 60 70 700 number can't be called from the UK, at least I can't call it from my BT land line or Vodafone mobile - 'This service is not compatible on this line' or some such message.
guido

Post by guido »

Richard, try the contact details shown on this page here:
https://www.bmwgroup-classic.com/en/gen ... ntact.html

I would try the info and hotline rather than the parts dept on: 0049-89382-27021 then ask to be redirected if possible?
I am mostly based in Germany, so have no trouble calling.
RichardP

Post by RichardP »

Many thanks, I'll give them a few days before pestering again!

What on earth is "BMW Group Classic Car Disposition Info Service and Hotline", I understand the words, but what does the 'Classic Car Disposition' department do and what's different to "BMW Group Classic Info Service and Hotline"?
TBM

Post by TBM »

I'm by no means trying to hijack this thread but if someone talks to the guys at BMW Classic again, is it at all possible to ask about making new dashboards? I dont know if the cost would be prohibitive but this is a subject matter that consistently comes up.

OVER.....

Thanks to the guys who are doing the Donkey work on these seals. I for one don't have the time and always appreciate the effort!
'84 M635csi
'86 Lotus esprit Turbo (sold)
Ronnie Wilson

Post by Ronnie Wilson »

wp_ss_20170106_0005.png
wp_ss_20170106_0005.png (501.02 KiB) Viewed 21016 times
wp_ss_20170106_0004.png
wp_ss_20170106_0004.png (950.63 KiB) Viewed 21016 times
wp_ss_20170106_0003.png
wp_ss_20170106_0003.png (927.17 KiB) Viewed 21016 times
wp_ss_20170106_0002.png
wp_ss_20170106_0002.png (479.4 KiB) Viewed 21016 times
Hi guys,

I sorry if you've already looked into this but the German company Wolloth & Nesch seem to list the rear light gaskets on their website. Not sure if they stock both sides though. You can also get the door seals, but they are very expensive. Again not sure if both sides are available. If someone has a contact at Bmw classic can you tell them to sort out these door seal. With the amount of owners needing either door seals or light seals there a lot of money to be made.
While I was at the British classic car show at the Nec Birmingham, I was talking to East Kent trim supplies www.eastkenttrimsupplies.com. The guy on the stand told me that he had already had a few enquiries from the Bmw owners club. He said if someone can send him a sample and he gets enough orders, he could have a sample ready in around six months.
Ronnie
Liverpool uk.
1986 635csi.
Bronze Beige Metallic.