BMW Glass - Not

Post in this forum for topics relating to the exterior. This includes body, windows, and accessories

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

85mvdelphinus

BMW Glass - Not

Post by 85mvdelphinus »

Today is the 31st anniversary of my E24 ownership. I thought it would be great to replace my pitted and spot repaired windshield with OEM glass. My insurance agreed since I had chips in the driver's side line of sight. I checked with East Bay BMW and found there were only five BMW windshields in the whole country. The mobile glass company advised they would replace it with XYG glass from China which I understand is crap.

I've kept my car OEM (except wheels/tires) so I agreed to pay an uncharge of $260 (plus my deductible) to keep it that way. The installer arrived and the glass had a BMW sticker with the correct part number (51-311857220). It had the same green tint as the factory glass and the install also included a new rubber channel. The installer was very experienced and did a great job. He roped it in in less than an hour.

Towards the end of the install I noticed the BMW roundel was missing from the left front corner. The right front of the glass showed DOT 459 which I traced to "Fujian Yanhua Glass Industries Co. Ltd. Honglu Town, China. I'm not sure what the other numbers in the photo indicate?

I searched Bigcoupe and found the following link (viewtopic.php?f=6&t=23483&p=166427&hili ... ss#p166427). It appears that BMW no longer makes front windscreens.

Questions:
1. If BMW is outsourcing to Fujian (presumably with BMW specs) is this now considered OEM?
2. Is anyone familiar with the quality of this glass vs XYG or other potential sources?
3. Should I be concerned about anything here? It would have been nice to have more info up front but I was also guilty of some assumptions.
4. Do you think it's unreasonable to ask for an adjustment from my insurer? My agent is familiar with my shark, its low mileage (96K) and overall condition.
Attachments
New glass.jpg
New glass.jpg (76.89 KiB) Viewed 3281 times
1985 635CSi 5MT Delphin Grey/Pearl Beige

Does a guilt free shark have a feeling of remoras?