Sunroof rear sliding rain gutter rods broken

Post in this forum for topics relating to the exterior. This includes body, windows, and accessories

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

clipper47

Sunroof rear sliding rain gutter rods broken

Post by clipper47 »

The rivets at the front of the two rods that move the rail gutter on my sunroof were broken and the rods were not able to move back and forth. This looks like a pretty difficult job to replace the tiny rivets. I do not have any water leakage that I can see but now worry that water will get into the headliner if that rain gutter is not moving as it should . I am thinking perhaps a dab of JB Weld might hold the rod end in place. This is on a 1985 636CSi.
I tried to post a RealOEM diagram but it didn't work.
Dave
clipper47

Re: Sunroof rear sliding rain gutter rods broken

Post by clipper47 »

It does look as though it will be necessary to remove the sunroof panel to properly deal with the rain gutter rods. I am not sure where the rivets for the rod ends need to go but will better understand this when the panel is no longer in the way. The loose rods sometimes get no the way of the roof panel as it goes back so I removed them from the rail gutter entirely until I get this figured out. If anyone has a photo of exactly where the rivet hole is located or any advice on this repair job I would appreciate it very much.
Dave
clipper47

Re: Sunroof rear sliding rain gutter rods broken

Post by clipper47 »

I found out what I needed very quickly from MyE28 site members. When I have the job completed I will be better able to help others who may have the same problem.
Dave