Sunroof Panel won't go to open...? FIXED!

Post in this forum for topics relating to the exterior. This includes body, windows, and accessories

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

clipper47

Sunroof Panel won't go to open...? FIXED!

Post by clipper47 »

Following the Bentley manual instructions and help from forum members I successfully removed the sunroof panel and cover and reattached the rain gutter rods. I replaced the sunroof inner cover panels and reattached the panel to the triangular brackets. The panel will not move back to the full open position enough that I can reattached the guide rails that were required to be removed. I have come to the conclusion that the cable end with the triangle brackets are binding on the tracks as I can force the brackets back as short distance under the roof line but they bind again. The tracks both look slightly distorted but the sunroof did open and shut prior to the removal to fix the rain gutter. Is there a way to remove the tracks without removing the headliner so it is confusing. When the binding begins the motor will run and the cable is pushed up so it seems to be a bind of the bracket on the track problem. I am thinking that if I can remove the brackets from the tracks I can see better what the problem is. Als if onentrack is stuck will that also stop the opposite one? In my case both brackets seem to always be alignment. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. This is a non plastic bracket sunroof.

The problem was that the cable track without the front guide plates would rise and that was what was binding. My fix was to fabricate two track covers from a piece of dryer vent piple about 8"x 1" which I screwed down over the cable track. The cable being held down allowed the track guides to move back. It was also a good popportuninty to clean and lube the tracks and guides. I recalled that this fix was already posted on this site so thanks to this forum.
Dave