Front bumper rubber strip scrape:-(

Post in this forum for topics relating to the exterior. This includes body, windows, and accessories

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Emmanuel M6

Front bumper rubber strip scrape:-(

Post by Emmanuel M6 »

Greetings all, hope you and your cars are all well. Scraped the corner of the bumper rubber reversing out of my garage today; mortified. Any suggestions from anybody please on maybe smoothing out the graze, and then something to give it back its colour. Thanks in advance.
Also, a while back, Bru6e the guru refurbished my front struts; just wanted to report that all is well with them and to send out my gratitude to Bru6e. I know a lot of people doubt the effectiveness of refurbishing struts, i wasn't sure myself, but Bru6e did a fanatical job, and a year on everything is good.
Was going for a respray this month; my boiler packed in and my van needed a new gearbox, clutch, and flywheel. Maybe next year:-)
Peace to all.
Emmanuel M6
1985 M635csi
Location Corby Northants, previously London U.K.
dwcains

Re: Front bumper rubber strip scrape:-(

Post by dwcains »

My car has the same bumper(s) as yours, and I did the same thing several months ago. The scrape was a few inches long and about 1/4" wide, down to the underlying yellow-colored material, but there was no damage to that substrate. I used a small foam brush and some matte black paint from Krylon, which turned out to be a very near-perfect match. The paint leveled well and the touch-up is tough to see if you're not looking for it. I didn't take a pic of the bumper, but here you can see the rear spoiler sprayed with the same paint:

Not sure you can get this paint in the UK, but here it is:

They also make a satin black, which I found to be too shiny, as well as a semi-flat and flat black, which were too flat.
Dean
Lutz, FL

'85 635 CSi Euro #9402254
'87 Spider Veloce
'92 Spider Veloce
'08 350Z

olympia57
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Front bumper rubber strip scrape:-(

Post by olympia57 »

I guess it's this item that you have damaged.
DSCF7927 - Copy (Small).JPG
DSCF7927 - Copy (Small).JPG (69.09 KiB) Viewed 2959 times
I believe that they are still available new although I got the last pair but one ( UK stock ) when I purchased them eighteen months ago. Cost was circa £120 .They can be purchased singly per side .
If you do elect to replace with new items there are two profiles . One for the 635 with under bumper spoiler and one for the 628 style NON spoilered bumper.

Repairs will depend on extent of damage . Are they lightly grazed or gouged ?
I'd consider lightly keying the area with 800 grit wet paper and then if required applying some bumper repair filler ,
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NOVOL-BUMPER- ... SwbsBXl0UM
This is shown as grey but black may be available .
Once filled and sanded down to match the profile ( notice the swage in the profile ) clean and degrease the trim and then apply a dusting of plastic primer /adhesion promoter and then several LIGHT coats of a good quality satin black aerosol paint . Some polish to finish and mimic the satin eggshell original finish and it will look as good as new .
Time and patience is the key to success .
Don
1981 635 series 1