m technic rear spoiler removal

Post in this forum for topics relating to the exterior. This includes body, windows, and accessories

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

johnn635

m technic rear spoiler removal

Post by johnn635 »

Can anyone confirm the the M technic rear spoiler ( the one that overlaps the rear wings(fenders!) is only held on by 2 screws at each end and some adhesive tape. I would like to repaint the matching colour section , which has some small bubbles at the rear edge and it seems to be held on with screws inside the spoiler. To get at these means removing it?
John
ron
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: m technic rear spoiler removal

Post by ron »

John,

It's held on by 5 studs with nuts accessed behind the boot lid trim.
They are ALWAYS rustier than you thought!!!!!!
'85 M #228
'87 M #367
'88 High line.
'10 X5
‘84 Alfasud 1.5 ti
johnn635

Post by johnn635 »

Tks Ron,
Is that after you've removed the spoiler or can you get to the bolts without removing it? I didn't mention that two of the four visible external screws are foobar'd, and would need to be retapped for new screws. It's the upper ones which always seem to seize. Hence removing the complete spoiler is on the cards. So far I have no reason to remove the boot trrim panel. More broken clips for the dealer to replace I assume.

Its not helped by the parts list showing 8 screws plus 4 clamps/nuts in addtion to the 2 at each end. What clamps to what. Anyone with photos. I will post if not when I figure it out.

It's also not helped by the 'M Technic diagram' showing the split open spoiler you seen on M3s! Never seen one on an E24.
ron
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by ron »

John, Please ring me before doing anything more on the spoiler.
They are ALWAYS rustier than you thought!!!!!!
'85 M #228
'87 M #367
'88 High line.
'10 X5
‘84 Alfasud 1.5 ti