Original underseal required

Post in this forum for topics relating to the exterior. This includes body, windows, and accessories

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Ronnie Wilson

Original underseal required

Post by Ronnie Wilson »

Hi Guys

Has anyone managed to source any replacement underseal. Having trouble finding a suitable underseal to match the type sprayed under my car
Can only find black underseal. Have attached a photo of a small piece which I removed. The underseal applied to my car is like a cream pebble dash affect.

Thanks.
Attachments
IMG_0166.JPG
IMG_0166.JPG (1.37 MiB) Viewed 7618 times
Ronnie
Liverpool uk.
1986 635csi.
Bronze Beige Metallic.
hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Original underseal required

Post by hornhospital »

I'm not so sure that's OEM....
Ken Kanne
'84 633CSi "Sylvia"; '85 635CSi "Katja";'85 325e "Hazel Ann"; '95 M3 "Ashlyn"
Ronnie Wilson

Post by Ronnie Wilson »

Yes, my car is a 1986 model and the whole underside of the car and wheel arches have it applied.
Ronnie
Liverpool uk.
1986 635csi.
Bronze Beige Metallic.
hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by hornhospital »

That could have been applied by the dealer as a non-standard add-on, or aftermarket rust protection company.
Ken Kanne
'84 633CSi "Sylvia"; '85 635CSi "Katja";'85 325e "Hazel Ann"; '95 M3 "Ashlyn"
olympia57
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by olympia57 »

You need to select macro focus on your camera for a better ,clearer photo.

Is it a rubberised material and when removed is there a factory applied black material underneath ?
I'd consider it a bit unusual to have a white underseal applied to a UK car but white rubberised Schutz stone chip is commonly available from auto parts suppliers . I used it recently on my van and although it says white on the canister it dries an off white ,cream colour similar to the shade in your photo.
Best applied with a schutz gun and compressor .
Don
1981 635 series 1
Ronnie Wilson

Post by Ronnie Wilson »

Hi guys

Had to use that dodgy photo. Have got the I phone 6s and the only photos i can up load are ones without a lot of detail. The sample in the dodgy photo was taken where the petrol/gas tank sits.
That is the area that hasn't been subjected to salt, dirt and heat from the exhaust.The other areas are slightly different shades due to dirt and heat.
I did find what looks like the stuff i need on amazon . 3M did a spray able rocker panel undercoat in tan colour which you can get in the usa for i think around $34. But amazon will not ship it to the uk due to federal laws .
Went to my local BMW dealership, who where very helpful. They use similar stuff to what's on the car but only in grey which you would need an air compressor to apply which i have.
I have treated some small under body rust spots with standard black underseal after gringing the rust back then applying zinc prima.
But with everything under the car removed i thought it was a shame to leave those areas treated black.
If i can get something similar to the 3m stuff then i can start putting all the refurbished components back on Rather than removing more and more components.
Last edited by Ronnie Wilson on Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ronnie
Liverpool uk.
1986 635csi.
Bronze Beige Metallic.
olympia57
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by olympia57 »

Ronnie Wilson wrote:Hi guys

Had to use that dodgy photo. Have go the I phone 6s and the only photos i can up load are ones without a lot of detail. The sample in the dodgy photo was taken where the petrol/gas tank sits.
That is the area that hasn't been subjected to salt, dirt and heat from the exhaust.The other areas are slightly different shades due to dirt and heat.
I did find what looks like the stuff i need on amazon . 3M did a spray able rocker panel undercoat in tan colour which you can get in the usa for i think around $34. But amazon will not ship it to the uk due to federal laws .
Went to my local BMW dealership, who where very helpful. They use similar stuff to what's on the car but only in grey which you would need an air compressor to apply which i have.
I have treated some small under body rust spots with standard black underseal after gringing the rust back then applying zinc prima.
But with everything under the car removed i thought it was a shame to leave those areas treated black.
If i can get something similar to the 3m stuff then i can start putting all the refurbished components back on Rather than removing more and more components.
Ronnie this is the stonechip I used ,
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NOVOL-GRAVIT- ... SwSdZWcIO0
Although the listing is for black it is available in grey and white . The white actually dries a soft cream ,very similar to your sample photo ,I'd suspect that it is as close as you will get to your sample . It will have to be applied using a schutz gun and air compressor .
Don
1981 635 series 1
johnn635

Post by johnn635 »

I believe the OEM white is Teroson 182-77R. Have unused container and plan to use it when I get around to some more detailing
John