Chrome Window Trim Installation

Post in this forum for topics relating to the exterior. This includes body, windows, and accessories

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

2011z4

Chrome Window Trim Installation

Post by 2011z4 »

So I think I made a little mistake...

After getting both front and rear windshields in the car, I think I should have installed the chrome trim with them. Is there a trick to installing these once the rubber and glass is installed? I don't want to risk taking the glass and rubber back out if I don't have to. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!
ron
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Chrome Window Trim Installation

Post by ron »

2011z4 wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:10 pm So I think I made a little mistake...

After getting both front and rear windshields in the car, I think I should have installed the chrome trim with them. Is there a trick to installing these once the rubber and glass is installed? I don't want to risk taking the glass and rubber back out if I don't have to. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!
I have found it impossible to install the chrome strips with the glass in the car! If you had done a search on here, you would have found various posts relating to just this all saying "install chrome onto glass and then fit to car".
They are ALWAYS rustier than you thought!!!!!!
'85 M #228
'87 M #367
'88 High line.
'10 X5
‘84 Alfasud 1.5 ti
GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by GRNSHRK »

+1, not sure about the rear, but regarding the front windshield, the chrome trim and rubber gasket MUST be installed onto the glass first [-X

Looks like a PITA as well, the guys that installed mine struggled mightily :x

:mrgreen:
:mrgreen:
Bobbo
1980 633 CSi Cypress Green/Pearl Beige
2017 X5 M Sport Xdrive 35i Carbon Black/Ivory White
2005 330 Ci ZHP Cabrio Imola Red/Bone/Black
2011z4

Post by 2011z4 »

So...Is there an easy way to remove the rubber and glass without harming it or should I call Safelite or something like that to deal with it? It is all new rubber.
Pod
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Pod »

It’s always risky to remove the front ‘screen as the glass is very easy to break. If you want to be sure of not cracking the glass, then cut the rubber off. However, since the rubber is new, you may wish to risk pushing the glass out anyway, as it’s probably the cheapest option. The rear glass is far easier to push out so should not be a problem. Good luck!