Flashing high beams when lights are off

Post in this forum for topics relating to the exterior. This includes body, windows, and accessories

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Hakeem43020

Flashing high beams when lights are off

Post by Hakeem43020 »

I've read somewhere that euro cars have the functionality that allows you to flash the high beams (pulling the turn signal/indicator stalk) when the headlights are off. AFAIK in US cars we have to turn the headlights on if we want to flash the high beams. I've been searching for a euro wiring diagram but have been unable to find one. Is there a way to add this to US cars? :-k
GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Flashing high beams when lights are off

Post by GRNSHRK »

Hakeem, that doesn't sound right :-k

I know for a fact that my '80 can flash the high beams by pulling on the turn signal stalk, just as you described, without having the low beams on :lol:

In fact, back in the day, when seeing another BMW on the road was a rare event, flashing the high beams was always a sign of recognition of the other driver =D>

Have you actually tried this :-?

And for the record, what year and model do you have, just for clarification [-o<
:mrgreen:
Bobbo
1980 633 CSi Cypress Green/Pearl Beige
2017 X5 M Sport Xdrive 35i Carbon Black/Ivory White
2005 330 Ci ZHP Cabrio Imola Red/Bone/Black
Stoffie

Post by Stoffie »

Definitely a feature on Euro cars, as it still is on any car in Europe today.
The M88/3 was all about power, no cats. At idle the raw fuel from the exhaust will make your eyes water like an old V-8 powered muscle car's exhaust did.
hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by hornhospital »

Both my 84 633 and 85 635 are able to flash the headlights, even with it shut down and the keys out!
Ken Kanne
'84 633CSi "Sylvia"; '85 635CSi "Katja";'85 325e "Hazel Ann"; '95 M3 "Ashlyn"
Hakeem43020

Post by Hakeem43020 »

I drive an 89 US E24. I feel stupid now, I went outside and tested today and surprisingly they work. They weren't working when I got the car, I remember driving and having other e24/e28 people think I'm a douche because they would flash me and I wouldn't flash them back lol. I did pull the cluster, changes fuses, mess with wiring, relays etc recently so maybe one of those fixed it. ](*,).