Removing rear side window "recess seal with plate"

Post in this forum for topics relating to the exterior. This includes body, windows, and accessories

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

clipper47

Removing rear side window "recess seal with plate"

Post by clipper47 »

I have a project with my 1985 635CSi which involves replacing the left side rear window. There is an explanation on the BMW Mobile Traditions ( Malloc ) website that is very explanatory but lacking in certain details. The lower chrome trim piece must be removed. It is referred to as the "outer window recess seal with plate".I am concerned that I might damage this part trying to remove it. Does anyone have any advice on how this piece is removed without damage?

http://www.malloc.nl/BMW/635CSi/pages/e ... l#refertoc
Dave

Re: Removing rear side window "recess seal with plate"

Post by 88m6 »

Not as bad as looks.
B pillar shark fins must be removed also. Didn't notice that in instruction pics . Two screws behind door seal the just pull downwards n it slides off.
It does just lift up as pictured . Try wedging up the clip at the door jamb first then others will follow once u lift.
There are 3 metal clips n one plastic/metal clip under shark fin that attach it to body. Mine strips are currently off as I just powder coated them.
Send me email n I can get you pics what's behind there this evening if need them
clipper47

Post by clipper47 »

88m6. Thanks for your help. The last thing I want to do is damage anything that isn't easily replaceable. I will PM my email.
Dave

Post by weejangus »

88m6 wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 11:05 pm Not as bad as looks.
B pillar shark fins must be removed also. Didn't notice that in instruction pics . Two screws behind door seal the just pull downwards n it slides off.
It does just lift up as pictured . Try wedging up the clip at the door jamb first then others will follow once u lift.
There are 3 metal clips n one plastic/metal clip under shark fin that attach it to body. Mine strips are currently off as I just powder coated them.
Send me email n I can get you pics what's behind there this evening if need them
You, sir, are a legend.

I appreciate this post is a good 3 years old but I've been trying to get new rear side glass into my freshly resprayed 635 for about 3 hours!

Looked for videos, images, anything that would help me! Found the link mentioned above (but it didn't open for me).

I didn't know how to remove the B pillar fins. Saw this comment at 10:44am - glass was in place by 10:50am.

Can't thank you enough!

Jay
88m6

Post by 88m6 »

Legend?
Nah, just been there done that.
Glad u found it useful n are on to next portion of project.