Took one for the team...

Post in this forum for topics relating to the exterior. This includes body, windows, and accessories

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Took one for the team...

Post by GRNSHRK »

Gents, I've been using these funky headlight covers for years to protect my NLA Cibie Z-beams, and one gave up it's life for the cause :cry:

I originally purchased them from BavAuto, alas they no longer carry them ](*,)

A quick internet search didn't turn up much of anything other than film type protection, anybody know where these can be bought now :-k

TIA =D>
Attachments
IMG_3440-sm.jpg
IMG_3440-sm.jpg (80.2 KiB) Viewed 14705 times
IMG_3441-sm.jpg
IMG_3441-sm.jpg (61.29 KiB) Viewed 14705 times
:mrgreen:
Bobbo
1980 633 CSi Cypress Green/Pearl Beige
2017 X5 M Sport Xdrive 35i Carbon Black/Ivory White
2005 330 Ci ZHP Cabrio Imola Red/Bone/Black
Tommys 89 635

Re: Took one for the team...

Post by Tommys 89 635 »

Bob,

I've changed a few headlights and fog lights throughout the years until I tried the clear covers. They worked great, used them for years and as they aged, they got brittle and turned a bit yellow. I switched over to the clear film a while back and never had any problems since. Try it, you'll like it
Tommy
1989 635 CSI (Second owner since Jun 1995, driven daily and retired in 2013 with 295k to occasional driving)
2011 335D (Daily driver) with 103,550
GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by GRNSHRK »

Hey Tommy, thought of that, but I really wonder how well those film type protectors work, if you actually take a direct hit with a rock :-k

Do you have a particular brand or shop that you purchased them from :-?

Worth a try, just called BavAuto to verify that they don't carry anymore, no gots :-({|=
Bobbo
Tommys 89 635

Post by Tommys 89 635 »

Hey Bob,

From what I recall the film I have was pretty thick, it wasn't like thin like window tint.
I'll take a look at some receipts this evening, hopefully I kept it.

As for the fog lights, I think I ordered some that I had to cut myself.

Chat soon
Tommy
1989 635 CSI (Second owner since Jun 1995, driven daily and retired in 2013 with 295k to occasional driving)
jps635
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by jps635 »

I've got 3M film on all 4 lights and fogs, applied by mobile Tech - I had all the lights out at the time. Chrome rings removed and when installed help retain the edges.
'85 635csi JPS (RA2-66)
GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by GRNSHRK »

Thanx jps635 (and Tommy #-o ) but I do have a question regarding these film options :-k

How well does the film adhere to a curved surface [-o<

Think that's most concerning issue to me [-(

Thanks again =D>
Bobbo
MrE
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by MrE »

Hi Bob,

I've had the 3M clear film on the headlights & nosecone of my car for about 5 or 6 years now. All things considered it works well.

As Tommy says, its thicker & more durable than window tint. I'm pretty sure there are different thickneses of film available intended for different body sections such as headlights vs body panels. I gave the stuff a try because I'd had the nosecone & front airdam spoiler resprayed, and I had a new headlamp or two laying around in the garage that I'd bought years earlier, so thought I may as well.

I had a vinyl wrap auto shop do it for me - just the nosecone and a couple of headlights. I probably would have had a go at doing it myself if it were just a headlight or two, but given I wanted the nosecone done I decided it would be best if I handed the lot over to someone who knows what they're doing. The vinyl wrap shop makes sure it's adhered properly and smoothly over curves & edges etc. The shop just cuts generic sheets of the film to size.
fr-bm-3M.jpg
fr-bm-3M.jpg (99.84 KiB) Viewed 14606 times
In the picture you can kind of see a join-line between the two kidney cutouts - that join is hidden behind the chrome trim etc when everything is back in place and the film wraps neatly over the back section out of sight when the bonnet is down.

A direct hit on the glass with a rock can still damage - one of my new foglights got a big nasty crack in it within about 12 months, but that's just bad luck and over the years the film has noticeably protected the front end well.

I did not have the spoiler covered as its surface is that speckled, surface guard texture and I didn't expect the film would adhere smoothly. Looking at the frontend now, years later, its very noticeable how good condition the nosecone is still in compared to the unprotected spoiler. Given we try and look after our cars, but drive them as well, I think its well worth doing.

Regards,
Ellis.
Tommys 89 635

Post by Tommys 89 635 »

Bob,

I went through all of my receipts and couldn't find the one that shows me buying the film. I do recall when I ordered them i spoke to a guy and my ellipsoid's are the same diameter as the 5 series.

Probably would have to ask 3M or Lamin-X if they make dome shaped ones.
Tommy
redrumm3

Post by redrumm3 »

Bob- I might have a few of the those headlight covers in storage. I'll have to dig to see if I can find them and I'm leaving town tomorrow for ten days, but I'll look when I get back.

I'll shoot you a PM if I find them.

Scott
Scott Collins
80 Euro 635csi Stratosblau/Parchment
GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by GRNSHRK »

Scott, thanks for looking =D>

I do want to address this sooner than later, but since I'm technically "off the road" right now, awaiting tags, I can hold off [-(

I need a few other bits and pieces, maybe I'll just order a film kit from BavAuto as well :-k
Bobbo
creame24

Post by creame24 »

Forrest Koogle is making some! He currently sells 7’ inch ones right now. The 5 3/4 or so are getting prototyped right now. They are selling for a good price. You could ask him if they smaller headlight covers are finally done!
Kooglewerks.com
GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by GRNSHRK »

Thanks cream, interesting site :shock:

Lots of '02 stuff, and I mean lots :roll:

As you duly noted, they currently only make 7", not sure if I'm a fan of that "KW" embossed in the cover, however :-k
Attachments
7 headlight cover.jpg
7 headlight cover.jpg (242.08 KiB) Viewed 14460 times
Bobbo
creame24

Post by creame24 »

I was iffy about the KW too. I seen the prototype on an e30 and I couldn’t really see the KW from a far. Hopefully he makes the emblem smaller. Hahaha
jps635
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by jps635 »

'85 635csi JPS (RA2-66)
GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by GRNSHRK »

Sheesh, 46 AUD to ship to the states, yikes [-X

Thanks JPS, think I'll keep looking, for that price :(
Bobbo
jps635
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by jps635 »

Now you now what we're up against down the bottom of the world.

Add shipping, customs charges plus boarder tax and all BMW parts are still way cheaper ex US or Germany than we can buy locally

You guys are so spoiled with choice and free ground shipping

Chris
'85 635csi JPS (RA2-66)
GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by GRNSHRK »

OK, so I went the "Xpel" route (thanks Andy =D> ) and installed the clear film covers, which, by the way, are anything but film :-?

First off, they are thick, perhaps 1 mm or more :-k

Second, they are flat, which of course does not lend itself very well to adhering to a curved surface [-X

If anybody needs recommendations on installing these, please read the friggin' instructions, a few times [-(

Without the use of a heat gun, ain't gonna work, knowhow :-({|=

Photo below, took the liberty to clean up and shine the grills, while they were off =D>

I also attempted to sand and polish the aluminum strip in one location, with not exactly flying colors #-o

More on that to follow, think I've got another thread going on that project \:D/
Attachments
IMG_3466-sm.jpg
IMG_3466-sm.jpg (87.22 KiB) Viewed 13924 times
Bobbo
sansouci
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sansouci »

Is this an opportunity for a group buy on the kooglewerks covers?
The "KW" works great for me....

Ken Weinstein
Sansouci
84 E24 633Csi Auto, Bronzit/PearlBeige 6997510
93 E32 740il M60 Auto, Alpenweis/Ultramarine
60 528i M30 5-speed Green/Beige (crushed)
71 240Z 4-speed White/Blue (rusty & sold)
65 396 Chevelle 4-speed, Marina Blue/Black (stolen)
GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by GRNSHRK »

Hey Ken, I don't think they were offering the 5.75" version just yet, but you can check the website :-k

FWIW, I like the look I have now much better than the plastic bubble covers =D>

Looking side by side, even the missus agreed :roll:
Bobbo
MisterFixit

Post by MisterFixit »

XPEL film, this is the thick stuff that Bobbo is talking about. He got it from me (under $30 shipped for all four lights).

YES, it is thick - 38 or 40 mils, and YES, it is durable. It stands up to rocks of good size, and is replaceable if it starts to fog.
After ten years washing the headlights every fill-up with gas-station windshield wash-bucket slop, mine started to scratch a little... OK, I am picky, but the lights underneath were PERFECT - just like new. Good thing too - they are CSRs, a full set of four. I call them my retirement trust account.

Durable, too - a friend backed into my headlight with the corner of his pickup truck bumper. Damaged the headlight buckets and the sheet metal they mount on, but DID NOT break the headlight. It was a low speed bump, but hey- a pickup truck bumper? They have my support.

I still sell the stuff, for small and big (2002, E28 Euro lows, etc.) lights. I have them cut it to my specification at the factory, and it fits about all small lights (not really 5.75" but that's what we call it) perfectly. And I have a connection at the factory that will cut a set to whatever size I need, so if you have odd size lights, call me and we'll get your lights covered. I get sheets to cut fogs from, and have a few templates on hand.

Flat face lights take the stuff perfectly, slightly domed like Hella BiFocals, Cibié 'flat face highs' as well, but the bulging lights are a bit more difficult. It cuts with scissors or razor blade or razor knives, so it will cover domed lights by wedging a cut at say four places around the edges. And the glue sticks very well, it's self adhesive of course.

Bottom line - if you have decent headlights with a relatively flat face, this is a no-brainer if you can't afford replacing the lights often.
"Be Seen, and Not Hurt!"
Lighting Upgrades for 2002, E3, E12, E21, E23, E24, E28, E30, E32, E36, E39 - front & back
Headlight and Tail Light upgrades for maximum visibility. Headlight protection to keep lights intact.
baders
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by baders »

I would like to add here that I have been running Xpel from MisterFixit now on my precious and NOS Euro headlights for some time. They have stood up to the test of time.

Am now looking for the same Xpel film for my Euro style 1986 fog lights. MisterFixit can you do this ?
1986 635csi LOCUTUS / Arktis Blau Metallic / Pearl Beige / S38B36/ Close ratio dogleg 5sp
2002 E46 M3 / Topaz Blau Metallic / Black Nappa / 6 speed SMG software tuned / Bilstein PSS10 Coilovers / CMP RACP reinforcement
MisterFixit

Post by MisterFixit »

baders wrote:... Am now looking for the same Xpel film for my Euro style 1986 fog lights. MisterFixit can you do this ?
Well, since you asked nicely - yes I can!

My understanding is you Ausies use mm, cm, m and km, so here is what you can do.
Measure the flat part of the face of the fogs, confirm they are 65 mm x 156 mm rectangles.
If so, I'll cut a pair for you! If it's just these, I can mail in an envelope for very few $AU.

From my E28 five series data- US fogs are taller, not as wide (more square).
But I can cut those too, if anyone is interested.

I would appreciate any data on SIX series fogs, as there is none in my stable. Ideally, the mm dimensions of height and width for the face of the lens, for both standard US and standard Euro fog lights. Year of the vehicle too, please, as I understand about mid-production changes in air dams and fog lights.

Thank you - thank you very much! (Elvis has left the building)

Andy
"Be Seen, and Not Hurt!"
Lighting Upgrades for 2002, E3, E12, E21, E23, E24, E28, E30, E32, E36, E39 - front & back
Headlight and Tail Light upgrades for maximum visibility. Headlight protection to keep lights intact.
baders
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by baders »

Hi Andy. The measurements of the Euro rectangle fogs is indeed 156 x 65mm. Could you please work up a quote for 1 pair shipped to Perth Western Australia. My email I will PM you.
1986 635csi LOCUTUS / Arktis Blau Metallic / Pearl Beige / S38B36/ Close ratio dogleg 5sp
2002 E46 M3 / Topaz Blau Metallic / Black Nappa / 6 speed SMG software tuned / Bilstein PSS10 Coilovers / CMP RACP reinforcement
MisterFixit

Re: Yellow tint film for lights

Post by MisterFixit »

I still get questions about yellow tint film that XPEL stopped making years ago, so I poked the nice folks over at Lamin-x. They carry it, but it is thin stuff, not the thick 40 mil I was expecting. Is anyone using their product, and is there any interest now?

Anyway, I am going to order some of it, and wondered if anyone out there wants to try it as well. It seems to my eyes to be a bit darker than the XPEL was. It is more like 12 mils, I think, but it might be what you want... if you want yellow headlights or fog lights.

I asked about layering - perhaps you want a darker color, or better impact resistance are what I have in mind. But I think one yellow layer is dark enough - and maybe applying a clear layer and then a tint layer will give adequate protection.

My first order for the stuff will probably be circles for the regular headlights. All four lights have the same face diameter, so pretty much all sharks.
I will state up front - the stuff is over 50% more money than the clear 40 mil I get from the other place, but still much cheaper than a headlight.

I got a sample piece in the mail, so I will try and post a picture. Now if I can just remember my photo-bucket password...

My cost estimate is under $20 a pair, but I will have to see what it comes to with shipping, and what discounts I can get.

Andy
"Be Seen, and Not Hurt!"