Polishing the Aluminum trim around grills?

Post in this forum for topics relating to the exterior. This includes body, windows, and accessories

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Polishing the Aluminum trim around grills?

Post by GRNSHRK »

OK, while the grills are off the 6, I was thinking about trying to remove 38 years worth of stone chips in the outer Aluminum trim and bring them back to a reasonable finish :-"

Anybody ever try this, and if yes, how :-k

Me thinks I'm gonna mask off the black plastic grill edges and have at it, slowly reducing the grit to something very fine, although I don't have any "grit numbers" in mind just yet :-?

I would love to hear some thoughts and opinions from the Big Coupe braintrust on this one [-o<

TIA \:D/
:mrgreen:
Bobbo
1980 633 CSi Cypress Green/Pearl Beige
2017 X5 M Sport Xdrive 35i Carbon Black/Ivory White
2005 330 Ci ZHP Cabrio Imola Red/Bone/Black
bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Polishing the Aluminum trim around grills?

Post by bpoliakoff »

Bobbo, First off, they are clear anodized and that needs to be stripped before you can polish them. Use easy off oven cleaner. Than polish. However, find a good plater and get them chromed, yes aluminum can be done, or re clear anodized. Either of the last 2 are the way to go.
81 Euro 635 M90 with motronic. Currently under a complete nut and bolt restoration. Pictures at
flickr.com/photos/bertsphotos.
ron
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by ron »

Bobbo,

You can remove the alloy strips from the plastic grills. Use a pair of long needle-nose pliers to turn the holding clips 90 degrees.

It's all a bit fragile so be careful.
They are ALWAYS rustier than you thought!!!!!!
'85 M #228
'87 M #367
'88 High line.
'10 X5
‘84 Alfasud 1.5 ti
GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by GRNSHRK »

Thanks gents, wasn't even thinking that they were anodized, as they sure don't look like the finish on my bumpers :shock:

Ron, took the needle nose pliers to one of those tabs, and the aluminum is either very tough, or very brittle, presumed from age :-?

Obviously chroming is only an option of I can get them off, may entertain that option, if I can remove them :-"

Will give the removal process another attempt this evening, otherwise it will be taping off the plastic grill edges, stripping the presumed anodizing layer, and sanding away \:D/
:mrgreen:
Bobbo
1980 633 CSi Cypress Green/Pearl Beige
2017 X5 M Sport Xdrive 35i Carbon Black/Ivory White
2005 330 Ci ZHP Cabrio Imola Red/Bone/Black