Putting Front Bumper Back On

Post in this forum for topics relating to the exterior. This includes body, windows, and accessories

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

TomMan7531

Putting Front Bumper Back On

Post by TomMan7531 »

Hi All,

Just had it sprayed and now the front bumper needs to go back on, I've got the pre 87 car euro spec, as you can see in my profile pic.

Got it off easily enough but now I cant see how the 4 bolts that secure the rails on each side are suppose to go back in the holes in the chassis rail especially with metal plates blocking seeing the holes from the front ](*,) Anyone done this?
1987 BMW 635CSI Auto, Royal Blue, Cream interior, daily rust finds....
ron
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Putting Front Bumper Back On

Post by ron »

Are you talking about #6?

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpa ... Id=51_0518

These bolts are held in the chassis rails by a fixed spring clip on the inside of the chassis rail. Put the brackets #1 & #5 over the clips and attach the nuts #7.Tighten fully after final alignment of bumper.

HTH.
They are ALWAYS rustier than you thought!!!!!!
'85 M #228
'87 M #367
'88 High line.
'10 X5
‘84 Alfasud 1.5 ti
TomMan7531

Post by TomMan7531 »

My bolts and nuts came out when I took the bumper off, now need to try and get them back in place.
1987 BMW 635CSI Auto, Royal Blue, Cream interior, daily rust finds....
bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bpoliakoff »

I do not believe they are held on by "spring clips" or any clips for that matter . There is a channel on the rails that the bolt head slips into. The bolts used are what we call carriage bolts in the Us and probably the same in UK. They have a square on the shank above the threads and this is what rides in the grove of the channel and stops the bolt from spinning as you tighten it. The head of the bolt fits snugly against the side of the chassis rail. If you lost a bolt, IIRC they are 10MM and easily obtained through a stealer or your friendly neighborhood hardware store. The only "springy" thing used is a spring washer or additionally, in UK speak, a wave or, in US speak, a wiggly washer.
81 Euro 635 M90 with motronic. Currently under a complete nut and bolt restoration. Pictures at
flickr.com/photos/bertsphotos.