BMW original paint - need advice!

Post in this forum for topics relating to the exterior. This includes body, windows, and accessories

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Pod
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

BMW original paint - need advice!

Post by Pod »

Hope somebody who has actually painted a car can give me some help here. No opinions, please, unless you know for sure what you are talking about!

I've bought a1985 E24 barn find (20+ years) with incredibly good bodywork (virtually no rust :wink: ). I have done a few necessary bits and pieces and am now in the position to give it a repaint. I'm 99% sure it has original factory paint. Now, I have never painted a BMW before, only British & American cars. I see no point in taking it back to bare metal, as most of the paint is fine. I'm hoping I can just rub down the existing Black paint and go straight over with cellulose. Obviously, any repaired panels will be properly primed first. However, I'm not sure what BMW used in the first instance? I have bought isolator, but that is beige coloured. If I use this and it gets scratched, the beige will show - on the other hand, if I can get away without using it, I will have a far greater depth of Black paint to hopefully be able to polish any damage out.

So that's my question. Can I get away with painting cellulose over the original paint without isolator, without the risk of a reaction? By the way, before you ask, I have no interest in risking my life using 2-pack and I don't have an oven for using water-based paint.

If all else fails, I'll have to paint an old panel and see what happens - but I'd rather avoid the hassle!

Thanks in anticipation.
Pod
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: BMW original paint - need advice!

Post by Pod »

Just thought I’d update my post. I decided to go over the whole car with primer filler to get a better finish. Took the risk and didn’t bother with isolator- and got away with it. No reaction and got 6/8 coats of colour laid on the other day. Bad news is that the “non-bloom” thinners bloomed 🤬. But that’s another story........
TN_M6

Post by TN_M6 »

I'm just curious what you mean by cellulose ? The only paint work I've done last few years is with 2 component Urethane and I don't know why you wouldn't just by an organic vapor mask and use that. It is so durable by comparison to anything else that with all the effort you put in you want it durable. If cellulose = lacquer like what comes in some fast dry spray cans the stuff just doesn't hold up IMO. btw... I don't know but I think the original solid colors on these cars were more like a force dried 2 component enamel which is also very durable. If sanded well most anything will stick to it fine but if there is some old air dry re-spray work you might have trouble.

I hope it all turns out OK.
Pod
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Pod »

Two-pack paint contains isocyanate and can be very hazardous. It should always be sprayed in a ventilated & filtered booth and the sprayer should use a personal air supply, not just a mask with filters. Whilst I accept that cellulose paint does not produce such a durable finish, I would rather use that and avoid the higher health risk. Not to say that any form of spray painting is free of some risk - just that IMO, cellulose is the safer paint in my personal circumstances.

I’ll report back once I’ve compounded and mopped it [-o<
TN_M6

Post by TN_M6 »

I do hope you will be happy with the end result. My paintwork is so limited and rare that with the precautions I take I'm not that worried. However, if if I did it daily or for a living it all becomes quite important. My brother and I did a reasonable amount of painting way back as youths and I think we were careless about things like thinner and fumes and inhalation. If my old self could only tell my young self a few things.
Pod
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Pod »

Thanks! .......But when are any of us happy with a paint job? There’s always something not quite right - and even if the casual viewer doesn’t notice the flaws and errors, we know where they are 😉