Headlights and winscreen rubber

Post in this forum for topics relating to the exterior. This includes body, windows, and accessories

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

bigboystoy

Headlights and winscreen rubber

Post by bigboystoy »

Hi,

New to forum as contributor as I've just picked up a red 1986 CSi auto this morning. =D>

Initial issues as far as getting the car registered are two stone chip 'stars' in the front screen and stone chipped/cracked low and high beam lights as well as in one of the air dam driving lights.

As all low/high beam lights are well past their use by date, replacing all would be better. Availability?

As for the air dam driving light, are these available new or from another model?

Finally, what is the likelyhood of the windscreen rubber being re-useable. Car has been mostly garaged, so fingers crossed.

Will post pictures when car is transported home.
Past toys:
1979 Volvo282GT
1988 Porsche 944S
Current toy:
1986 635 CSi
nick88highline

Re: Headlights and winscreen rubber

Post by nick88highline »

Not sure about the 86 lights, but the 88 lights are all still available, of course that's not much good to you, but I suspect you will be fine.
I certainly wouldn't re-use the windscreen rubber. Replacing the windscreen is somewhat difficult and not a job you want to do again.
Nick
BMW 635CSiA (1988)
BMW i3 (2016)
Jeep Grand Cherokee V8 (2000)
Morris Minor 1000 (1968)
baders
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by baders »

It appears that Genuine Parts GmbH still have all 4 lights for RHD available;

https://www.originparts.de/

I bought all my lights from them 3 years ago. Prompt and reliable service.

Use RealOEM for part number reference;

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/select
1986 635csi LOCUTUS / Arktis Blau Metallic / Pearl Beige / S38B36/ Close ratio dogleg 5sp
2002 E46 M3 / Topaz Blau Metallic / Black Nappa / 6 speed SMG software tuned / Bilstein PSS10 Coilovers / CMP RACP reinforcement
dave9118

Post by dave9118 »

Schmiedmann.com and BMW still do the headlights for the early models and the '86, as do Wallothnesch.

My problem is that my E12/E24 can't make its mind up which variant it is... :roll:
"The explanation you are about to give, needs to be.... PHENOMENALLY good"!

Edmond Blackadder
bigboystoy

Post by bigboystoy »

Thanks for the responses.

Well the car has, hopefully, given up all its requirements for a bit of TLC and I'm happy there's nothing major in the list. Yet.

I discovered I can get the 'stars' in the windscreen patched, so tha'ts good news and saves some $$$$. A lot of the other things on the list are not urgent, just fiddly.

baders - you wouldn't happen to have the delivery docket for the lights. I've been onto both sites and the descriptions are not very clear and don't appear to have any reasoning as to why the lights are different drivers to passenger sides.

One of the first things will be to track down some decent wheels to replace the cheap and nasty after market units the car came with. Still not sure the style but I like the RC090's as I had similar on another car I had. I like the idea of a polished dish to set off the profile of the car.
No1.jpg
No1.jpg (149 KiB) Viewed 6461 times
Past toys:
1979 Volvo282GT
1988 Porsche 944S
Current toy:
1986 635 CSi
baders
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by baders »

bigboystoy wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:31 am
baders - you wouldn't happen to have the delivery docket for the lights. I've been onto both sites and the descriptions are not very clear and don't appear to have any reasoning as to why the lights are different drivers to passenger sides.
Lights vary according to if it is RHD/LHD right or left side road driving. Part numbers on RealOEM tell the story. I'm at work ATM with no access to paperwork but will look it up when I get home next week.
1986 635csi LOCUTUS / Arktis Blau Metallic / Pearl Beige / S38B36/ Close ratio dogleg 5sp
2002 E46 M3 / Topaz Blau Metallic / Black Nappa / 6 speed SMG software tuned / Bilstein PSS10 Coilovers / CMP RACP reinforcement
baders
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by baders »

Hah ! I forgot I have email record of them. This should help;
bmw 635 lights.PNG
bmw 635 lights.PNG (16.44 KiB) Viewed 6445 times
bigboystoy

Post by bigboystoy »

baders

Your a champion. Will chase these down. Still intrigued as to the differences as the lights would/could/should be the same drivers side to passenger side.
Past toys:
1979 Volvo282GT
1988 Porsche 944S
Current toy:
1986 635 CSi
baders
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by baders »

No problem. It has to do with legal beam pattern according to ECE and Australian Design Rules. Throw pattern is different left compared to right hand sides.