Removing Radio Antenna / Aerial

Post in this forum for topics relating to the exterior. This includes body, windows, and accessories

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

rod635

Removing Radio Antenna / Aerial

Post by rod635 »

My 1988 E24 Shadowline is heading off to the body shop soon to have some work done on it. I am thinking of removing the radio antenna from the rear fender / quarter, having it welded up, and using a Bosch Autofun windscreen aerial, as this area can be a bit of a rust prone area and it would look better.

I would plan on fitting it in the corner of the rear windscreen as there is already a connection running to the trunk for the antenna with power and it would not clutter up the front windscreen. The current antenna is black and quite new.

Has anyone else done this, would it affect future values etc? Do the windscreen mounted aerials work OK?

Image is of a similar car
Attachments
Bosch Autofun.jpg
Bosch Autofun.jpg (10.27 KiB) Viewed 3521 times
635 Grey aerial.jpg
635 Grey aerial.jpg (70.53 KiB) Viewed 3521 times
87Shark

Re: Removing Radio Antenna / Aerial

Post by 87Shark »

No idea what it would do to the value of the car, but that antenna looks a lot like the one I use for my Sirius radio. Mounted on the dash above the center vents and works fantastic! Never an issue with reception. Just my opinion.
'87 L6, Arctic White
Pod
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Removing Radio Antenna / Aerial

Post by Pod »

I can’t see it making any difference to the value if the hole is properly made good. However, unless the osr wing is being painted anyway, why go to the considerable expense of welding up the hole and then having the paint done? Most E24s have the aerial located here and I cannot see why you would wish to do this?