Rear side window won't move

Post in this forum for topics relating to the exterior. This includes body, windows, and accessories

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

bigboystoy

Rear side window won't move

Post by bigboystoy »

This last weekends job was to get both rear side windows to operate. Since owning the car, they've refused to move.

So, started with the passenger side. Easy fix. The rear switch was not plugged in. Its not fast but it does now go up and down. Win for me.

The drivers side has proved to be a bit more difficult. There's power and earth to the rear switch and the switch itself operates when tested but there's no movement at all of the window. I tried pushing the window down whilst holding the switch but still nothing, not even a sound.

Do the window motors have a tendency to fail or should I be looking for a fault somewhere else. If it has failed, or for further testing, how do I get to it.
Past toys:
1979 Volvo282GT
1988 Porsche 944S
Current toy:
1986 635 CSi
baders
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Rear side window won't move

Post by baders »

Remove the rear trim and grab your multimeter !
1986 635csi LOCUTUS / Arktis Blau Metallic / Pearl Beige / S38B36/ Close ratio dogleg 5sp
2002 E46 M3 / Topaz Blau Metallic / Black Nappa / 6 speed SMG software tuned / Bilstein PSS10 Coilovers / CMP RACP reinforcement
Hefeweizen

Post by Hefeweizen »

Did you swap out the switches? Then try Baders's suggestion
Rainer
03 330Xi (DD)
85 635CSi (RIP 3 May 19)
80 633CSi (Red Euro, Project)

"If you think a good European mechanic is expensive, try a bad one!"
JCS

Post by JCS »

Big Boy,

Or It could be the 30 + year old brown grease, on the window motor and sliders all gummed up.

Best,
Jay
'88 M6, Red/Tan
My NEW Website https://www.jaysbmwparts.com/
bigboystoy

Post by bigboystoy »

Thanks all.

I'm guessing the motor is either dead or there's a loose connection as there's no sign of movement with the sawitch and even pushing the window up and down with both hands, the front section doesn't move but there's minor movement at the rear.

The back seat is out, so hopefully the side trim is not too hard to remove.

wfwright2, is there the ability to wind the rear window manually?
Past toys:
1979 Volvo282GT
1988 Porsche 944S
Current toy:
1986 635 CSi
bigboystoy

Post by bigboystoy »

Tonight I pulled the side panel off and thought all my prays were answered when I found the window motor was unplugged. Also noted the nut on the position adjuster had fallen off. Happily re-installed the washer and nut, made the electrical connection and hit the switch......nothing. :(

After a bit of quiet contemplation, I loosen the adjuster nut and the hit the switch again and the motor came to life and lowered the window. Unfortunately it was a one way wonder and I had to help it return to the closed position. After much adjusting of the adjuster, the motor would sometimes lift and sometimes open but its action was not consistent or satisfactory. To open, I discovered if I hit either the window or the gear cover above the motor, the window would go down easily, but it refused to go up.

I'm thinking the motor is ok but there's too much resistance in the gears so when I have time I'll have to pull it out for a closer inspection.
Past toys:
1979 Volvo282GT
1988 Porsche 944S
Current toy:
1986 635 CSi
Hefeweizen

Post by Hefeweizen »

You are talking about a 33 year old car. My guess would be that the grease inside the motor is dried out and hardened. I have seen this for sure in the windshield wiper motor. Not sure what your temperatures are but it gets extreme hard in the cold to move. Switch may also be the culprit.
Rainer
03 330Xi (DD)
85 635CSi (RIP 3 May 19)
80 633CSi (Red Euro, Project)

"If you think a good European mechanic is expensive, try a bad one!"
JCS

Post by JCS »

Duh
Jay
'88 M6, Red/Tan
My NEW Website https://www.jaysbmwparts.com/